BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Zoanthropes and Gun Emplacements... the hidden rule?

Hello,

If this hasn't already been pointed out somewhere else I would just like to put this scenario out there to see if it works (rules wise) and who many people have already thought about this.

A brood of Zoanthropes... lets say 3 of them. Behind a defence line with a quad gun, One of the zoanthropes is manning the gun emplacement.

Shooting phase, enemy target at 17" quad gun shoots. Psychic Brood rule now allows 3 shots with warp lance/blast.

Psychic brood - A zoanthrope brood follows all the rules for brotherhood of psykers except that the unit has a mastery level of 2. In addition, if a brood of zoanthropes uses the warp blast power, the number of shots fired is equal to the number of zoanthropes in that brood.

Benefits?
    well you have a 3+ re-roll hits, 48" 4 shots skyfire intercept at S7 AP4... you can also fire the same amount of shots as a zoanthrope brood would be able to anyway (provided that you are not shooting from the same model which fires the quad gun.

Thoughts?

Chapter-Master

Yes. However, the squad does not gain skyfire. nor can it split fire.

It would be better to use a Exocrine, simply because the Exocrine fires 6 shots.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

True, but it's situational...

I would say that on average you would get more hits from 3 small blasts than 1 large blast... while the S and AP are lower the number of wounds caused against MEQ would be better. Further you are getting 3 lance shots at 18" (yes snap shots) but that is either auto-glancing or glancing on a 2 for all flyers... I think this would also work better than an exocrine vs the drop pod venerable and ironclad assault which I've seen a few of now.... it comes down you intercept if you wish or you wait and let rip in your turn... you're always guaranteed a 3++ save with zoans, unfortunately all it takes is a krak missile or you to get assaulted and the exocrine would struggle.

Exocrine has a bonus of being a monsterous creature at T6 and Sv3+ and in big guns never tire manages to also count as scoring which allows it to control an objective which maybe a skyfire nexus giving the exocrine the option to fire using skyfire or not.... which can be quite useful. however you're getting 6 shots hitting on 6's glancing on 4's or 5's... (hitting on 3's if fortunate enough to not moved and be playing Big guns while on skyfire nexus... which is pretty much one in a million chance.)

I've tried the exocrine behind a line, with venoms... out of 3 games it only ever suffered 1 wound... in return it didn't do a lot of damage back mainly due to it's poor range and people knowing that it can chuck out 10 S7 shots.
    Last edited by Martyn Powell; 02-03-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Powell View Post
    True, but it's situational...

I would say that on average you would get more hits from 3 small blasts than 1 large blast... while the S and AP are lower the number of wounds caused against MEQ would be better. Further you are getting 3 lance shots at 18" (yes snap shots) but that is either auto-glancing or glancing on a 2 for all flyers... I think this would also work better than an exocrine vs the drop pod venerable and ironclad assault which I've seen a few of now.... it comes down you intercept if you wish or you wait and let rip in your turn... you're always guaranteed a 3++ save with zoans, unfortunately all it takes is a krak missile or you to get assaulted and the exocrine would struggle.

Exocrine has a bonus of being a monsterous creature at T6 and Sv3+ and in big guns never tire manages to also count as scoring which allows it to control an objective which maybe a skyfire nexus giving the exocrine the option to fire using skyfire or not.... which can be quite useful. however you're getting 6 shots hitting on 6's glancing on 4's or 5's... (hitting on 3's if fortunate enough to not moved and be playing Big guns while on skyfire nexus... which is pretty much one in a million chance.)

I've tried the exocrine behind a line, with venoms... out of 3 games it only ever suffered 1 wound... in return it didn't do a lot of damage back mainly due to it's poor range and people knowing that it can chuck out 10 S7 shots.
    remember the Exocrine has 2 forms of shooting. The 6 shots is great to skyfire. And if you are going to skyfire, might as well fire the 4twin-linked shots, which the Exocrine can do.

Next time, put the line as far forward as possible...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Plus, Aegis+Venomthropes=Awesome, so you want to take advantage of that to let you move up the field.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

First-Captain

do Venomthropes have a BS by the way? can´t remember...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Yeah they are BS4... they need to roll to hit with warp blast/lance as it's a witchfire power.

My lines were reasonably far forward and yes Venoms were there giving a nice 2+ cover which was pretty nice. doesn't help much against barrages though, which is a reason to not deploy so far forward as it is difficult to get full enclosure if too much is inside due to the exocrines massively oversized base (I hate oval bases). too far forward and armies with drop pods for example or fast moving units can easily get behind and attack where it is exposed or get you caught in a crossfire.

Chapter-Master

Venomthropes, not Zoanthropes.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Venomthropes, not Zoanthropes.
    Yep, 3
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

yep sorry, as john bower said.

I'd also like to point out that instinctive behaviour.

Zoans do not suffer from it however provide synapse and have the benefit of their 3++ so venoms are not really needed.
    Exocrine may suffer from it and a fail would mean that it would have to shoot at the closest enemy target due to having hunt rule and being fearless (never suffer a 1-3 result).

There are drawbacks for both... but 3 zoans would be cheaper and still provide more of a support role than a static exocrine.