BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do a model's rules matter to you?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm not fussed at all. This is a total non-issue.

48 15.84%
  • I'm not too fussed either way, but this new strategy seems kind of underhanded.

45 14.85%
  • Only rules matter. I only buy models that are good on the battlefield.

13 4.29%
  • Only looks matter. I'm all about the painting/converting, not gaming.

32 10.56%
  • Looks matter more than rules; I'll buy for either reason, but mostly looks.

102 33.66%
  • Rules matter more than looks; I'll buy for either reason, but mostly rules.

74 24.42%
  • I bought a Pyrovore... I... I still... Man. I just... I just... excuse me.

17 5.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Not true.

You wasted one on a snarky option....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

I buy and paint what I like the look of. Simple as that, fluff plays a part too. I like to be able to "connect" with my models too.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I really want to use Necron Flayed Ones. At $50 for 5 models (Finecast crap) they cost as much as any premier unit from any other Codex. But on the field they have never made back even a small percentage of their point cost - except as Codex Space Marine priced fire magnets - They don't last long enough o even do a good job at dying...
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Only buy models for the rules. I am far from a WAAC player, I just know how I want to play and. Uh the models that allow me to do so.

Battle-Brother

I buy stuff for looks, but I would greatly appreciate the army book at the beginning of a release rather than the end. I want my dwarf book damnit.

I must have missed something. Did they start releasing models without rules? Or are you talking people pre-ordering a ton of stuff because they can't wait a week to read the codex first?

I mean, I guess with the new weekly schedule there are a few dwarves released without updated rules, and things may have a ~2 week window where we are waiting for rules. But if it is such a big deal, wait for your codex and build a few paper lists before you buy the models.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post

And despite my efforts, I've still got Psychosplodge flipping a bloody table because he literally hates the very idea of a poll because he's seen too many recently.

I can't win, I just can't.

I like polls. They force you to think, and provide a useful starting point to quantify an opinion.

*sigh*

To be fair its a more sensible poll than the others recently popping up.
    And I did answer it once I'd had my rant

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I'm not fussed honestly, especially for Eldar I'm just happy to have new units after twenty years of almost-stasis. Which isn't to say I don't want to see each unit have good rules and a place on the battlefield* but knowing the rules isn't a big deal

*BAAAANSHEEES! OH GOD BANSHEEEEEES!
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I'm not fussed honestly, especially for Eldar I'm just happy to have new units after twenty years of almost-stasis. Which isn't to say I don't want to see each unit have good rules and a place on the battlefield* but knowing the rules isn't a big deal

*BAAAANSHEEES! OH GOD BANSHEEEEEES!
    This.

I've only got back into the hobby in the last year, so I've come at it with a flying start, re-vamping the idea of building a real 'craftworld' force. Sure, I'll play some games here and there - apparently I'm even taking part in a tournament in a couple of weeks when back on dry land (not entirely sure how I agreed to that) - so it's good to have some things that are playable, and to some extent I have to bear in mind to make purchases around building up a 'core' of playable things rather than just going for what looks cool... because, y'know, it's going to be a long process to build up what I want to.

I tend to have a look at any new releases of anything that might be relevant to have parts for kit bashes (like dark elves might have had some bits to build some cool Harlequin models).

I fancy the idea of seeing if I can add some sort of giant Warp-Spider like shell to the back of a phantom titan to make a new and exotic type of Eldar Titan with some homebrew rules. Or, making a couple of Storm Serpents by converting FW kits. Now, those are never going to allowed in competitive play, but as long as the rules are reasonable it could be something cool to try to use in a friendly game of Apocalypse. Maybe they're bad examples because it's not like they fit the bill of being "GW models that turn out to have sucky rules". Perhaps Banshees are a better example of that, but my Craftworld host would feel like it was missing something if it didn't have them in, even if they never/rarely get used in a game I'm still going to enjoy modelling / painting them.

Rules will always change between editions anyway. Something that is great/sucky in one edition can suddenly become a beast/worthless in the next. So, it's not like you can guarantee that the model that you've bought that has great rules is always going to have great rules.

Sorry for getting your feathers ruffled YorkNecromancer, but when you pair the poll with an opening line about how GW is trying to 'Trick you into buying models with terrible rules' it's hard to view this as a valid starting point for a discussion instead of a grand invite to start bashing GW from the get go.

It does get people talking and some discussion does come out of it, but it also acts as a clarion call for the old arguments and whining to come to the surface from individuals who for what ever reason have decided the only explanation for GW's actions or the actions of their rules writers is nefarious scheming.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast