BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dataslate Formation Deployment

Hey BoLS,

Going to be putting an army together shortly using a Formation, which I haven't done before, and I'm a bit unclear on something. When deploying a formation (example, Cypher and his Fallen), are there any restrictions on how you place them on the board or anything? I'm unsure if it behaves like an Allied detachment and is deployed how normal models would be, or if the units have to be deployed in a group. In the case of Cypher, for example, could I put Cypher into a unit of Cultists, then deploy the Fallen on opposite ends of my board?

Sorry if this is a n00b question, I just want to be able to do this correctly.

Though the word "formation" does imply some sort of grouping, there are no basic rules that restrict how you deploy the units in a formation other than the normal rules of deployment (e.g., within your own deployment zone, etc.) and the allied table. So unless the dataslate specifically says otherwise, you could absolutely do what you propose (though you could not, say, place Cypher into a unit of allied traitor Guard, any more than you could deploy a sorcerer with them).

Excellent, that makes my life a lot easier. Also means I have no reason not to field that Tau Firebase Support Cadre, since I end up fielding the units in the army anyway. Thanks for your help and for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyChild533 View Post
    Also means I have no reason not to field that Tau Firebase Support Cadre, since I end up fielding the units in the army anyway.
    That's one reason a lot of people really dislike the data slates, and the Tau one in particular is kind of a huge no-brainer. I don't know what your gaming group is like, but be aware you might find some resistance to using it.

Chaplain

Forgive me, but what is a "dataslate?"

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
    Forgive me, but what is a "dataslate?"
    Never mind... I figured it out, and also how to get them.