BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    NO! because Power of the machine spirit lets you fire an additional weapon, no where does it override the special rule for missiles that limit you to firing a maximum of two regardless of how many weapons you may fire

also: whenever you find your self arguing that "nowhere in the rules says I can't", that's a good indication that you can't
    OK, I misread what you said about the missiles. I agree with you that flyers can only shoot 2 missiles. I thought you were saying that flyers with PotMS can't even take the extra shot granted them by the rule. And all I'm saying is that rules as written, PotMS ignores Snap Shots. Flyers make you fire Snap Shots. How are you not getting that? Nowhere (in the book, in the FAQ, in any Codex) does it say PotMS applies to only certain situations of Snap Shots. It just lets you ignore one Snap Shot per turn.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

edit: NVM
    Last edited by daboarder; 02-26-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LCS View Post
    PotMS is written in a way that the unit using it may ignore Snap Shots with one weapon (and it may fire at a different target).
    In a turn in which the vehicle neither moves Flat Out nor uses smoke launchers, the vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target unit to any other weapons, subject to normal rules for shooting.

That does not mean that it may ignore snapshots, it means that they may fire an additional weapon at full BS based on the speed the vehicle moved. Then depending on what you shoot at such as a flyer you have to use snapshots because of the hard to hit rule.

As for missiles, you can only fire two per turn, PoTMS has nothing to do with the missiles except you could fire 2 weapons on the flyer normally 2 missiles at full BS (your four weapons per turn) then PoTMS allows you to fire a 3rd weapon at full BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Asuryan View Post
    In a turn in which the vehicle neither moves Flat Out nor uses smoke launchers, the vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted. In addition, this weapon can be fired at a different target unit to any other weapons, subject to normal rules for shooting.

That does not mean that it may ignore snapshots, it means that they may fire an additional weapon at full BS based on the speed the vehicle moved. Then depending on what you shoot at such as a flyer you have to use snapshots because of the hard to hit rule.

As for missiles, you can only fire two per turn, PoTMS has nothing to do with the missiles except you could fire 2 weapons on the flyer normally 2 missiles at full BS (your four weapons per turn) then PoTMS allows you to fire a 3rd weapon at full BS.
    So you're focusing only on the movement of the vehicle, which is what is making the vehicle fire Snap Shots. The vehicles moves, therefore it must Snap Shot with it's weapons (depending on how far it moved). I really don't see the difference between that and firing at a Flyer/Flyer firing at a ground unit. If the first part of PotMS is met "In a turn in which the vehicle neither moves Flat Out nor uses smoke launchers" then you are qualified for the second part of the rule "vehicle can fire one more weapon at its full Ballistic Skill than normally permitted." If firing at a Flyer and the unit does not have Skyfire, the amount of shots permitted to fire at full BS is zero. One more than zero is one. I guess we're just reading the rules differently. You're putting limits on the rule when there is nothing in the book to limit the rule. Again, I just wish there was anything official on this.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Q: Can the BS1 of a Snap Shot ever be modified by special rules
    that modify the BS of a model’s Shooting attack (such as Space
    Marine Signums or Sergeant Telion’s Voice of Experience)? (p13)
    A: No
    That FAQ has absolutely nothing to do with this, and I think you know that. If that rule applied here, then PotMS would be absolutely meaningless.

So you're focusing only on the movement of the vehicle, which is what is making the vehicle fire Snap Shots. The vehicles moves, therefore it must Snap Shot with it's weapons (depending on how far it moved). I really don't see the difference between that and firing at a Flyer/Flyer firing at a ground unit.
    The difference is focusing on how fast the model moved vs what the model is shooting at.

Not a great example but with eldar battlefocus, they can run then shoot, but just because i can shoot after running it doesn't allow me to fire at flyers at full bs because of what i'm shooting at.

You're putting limits on the rule when there is nothing in the book to limit the rule.
    And you added the ignores snap shots into PoTMS which it clearly does not do.

I guess we're just reading the rules differently.
    Which is how almost all rule questions will go until GW gets off their butts and write and FaQ or Errata for the last 3 codexs that have come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Asuryan View Post
    than normally permitted
    LCS, I think you're minimizing the importance of this phrase. You're reading the rule as if it said the vehicle can fire one more weapon than normally permitted, and it can fire that weapon at full ballistic skill. You seem to acknowledge that it could be read as if it says the number of weapons the vehicle can fire at full ballistic skill is increased by one,* but you see no particular reason to make one reading more likely than the other.

Consider, however, the following rule from page 71:

A vehicle that moved at Combat Speed may fire a single weapon using its full Ballistic Skill.
    If we follow your grammatical logic, I would think that we read this as saying that a vehicle that moved at combat speed can fire a single weapon at a zooming flyer at its full Ballistic Skill. After all, as you say, if the first part of the rule is met ("A vehicle that moved at Combat Speed"), then you are qualified for the second part of the rule ("may fire a single weapon using its full Ballistic Skill"). The logic is the same, isn't it? The combat speed rule doesn't place any limitations or qualifiers on "may fire a single weapon using its full Ballistic Skill" except that the vehicle has to have moved at combat speed. It says nothing about flyers or any other condition that would normally require you to fire Snap Shots. It says you can fire a weapon at full Ballistic Skill, full stop.

I'm guessing, however, that isn't how you read page 71. If I'm right, then I submit that you do have a reason to prefer Asuryan's/Wolfshade's/my reading of Power of the Machine Spirit.

* That is, a normal vehicle that moved at combat speed can fire two instead of one; a vehicle that moved at cruising speed can fire one instead of zero; a fast vehicle that moved at cruising speed can fire three instead of two; a zooming flyer can fire five instead of four, but in each case subject to the normal limitations on firing weapons at full ballistic skill, such as firing at zooming flyers or swooping flying monstrous creatures or firing ordnance weapons.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 02-27-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Chapter-Master

Sneaky small print! There's always a catchin the small print!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by LCS View Post
    That FAQ has absolutely nothing to do with this, and I think you know that. If that rule applied here, then PotMS would be absolutely meaningless.
    Actually that FAQ has everything to do with it is specifically asks if a special rule can ever permit you to use a BS higher than 1 when firing Snap Shots, PotMS allows you to fire an additional weapon as has been suggested numerous times without incurring the additional Snap Shot penalty for having moved, but does nothing to negate Snap Shots incurred from firing at a Swooping/Zooming, that is what Skyfire does.

Absent an Advanced rule that directly contradicts how Snap Shots are treated as was done with the Tau Codex entry for markerlights, Snap Shots overrule special rules that raise the BS above 1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12