BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default storm eagle gunship

hmm to run the storm eagles as the storm eagle or to run it as the roc pattern (missile pods beome str8 ap3 4 shots twin linked instead of 2 large blast str5 ap4) the cost goes way up were talking 300+ points easily so was wondering which should i run?

Please excuse my ignorance, but is the Roc Pattern a new variant of the storm eagle? If so, this is very relevant to my interest...

Librarian

yes it is it uses the same model as far as i can see from IA2 all that changes are the points and the transport drops down from 20 to 14. Its an anti tank petterened storm eagle pretty much las cannons hard points roc missile launcher and the ususal choices for nose mounted weapons. but they get expensive quikly they start at roughly 300ish bare

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF ROMULOUS View Post
    hmm to run the storm eagles as the storm eagle or to run it as the roc pattern (missile pods beome str8 ap3 4 shots twin linked instead of 2 large blast str5 ap4) the cost goes way up were talking 300+ points easily so was wondering which should i run?
    As always it depends on what you're going to be facing. If you need anti armor or even anti flyer go with the Roc pattern. It's expensive points wise but packs a huge punch. If you're facing horde troops go with the standard pattern.

Personally I prefer the Roc pattern as my troops can usually take care of the enemy infantry.

Battle-Brother

In a standard 40k game us the Storm Eagle to reduce the amount of point sink, in an APOC game, use the Roc pattern, points are irrelevant, and you will most likely make better use of the stronger weapons than the extra troop capacity in an APOC game.

Librarian

I just keep looking at all the str8 shots and going hmm is that really worth all the extra points? and honestly i think i am leaning towards yes and here is why. The roc when it arrives can either obliterate 2 fliers or drop in and blow up 2 tanks. the storm eagle can deal with 2 fliers as well but its main armourments will be useless so no blasts. it can deal with 1 tank and 1 infantry squad a turn. i'm already bringing a storm talon for it possibly 2. I already know what is most likely to go in it (chapter master and cataphract terminator's) there is already a sicaran cruising around in the list so i know the eagles horde ability would help out alot but honestly i think having the extra ap3 shots might be more beneficial to blow apart tanks and monsterous creatures.

Chapter-Master

I have only recently become aware of Roc. And I think it is awesome. 1st turn it gets there, destroys a flyer or smacks a vehicle. Second turn a load of hard dudes charge out.

Awesome. And the points are around the same as kitting out a basic model like that.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

I think if you want a transport first, go for the Storm Eagle. The extra capacity and lower cost make it less punishing if it gets blown out of the sky. Besides, it does anti-infantry shooting really well and can do anti-air in a flash with PotMS and a twin-linked multi melta.

The Roc Pattern though does sound like the better all rounder choice, though I haven't seen the rules myself.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Librarian

I tend to go for flexability for for me the Roc pattern is worth the sacrafice in transport space as well as the sacrafice in points. sure its not a cheap flier but the thing is a beast stat wise and honestly with in the first 1-2 turns of it arriving it should be able to do a lot more damage then the storm eagle ever could. and even if i was facing hordes honestly i think bolters would be a better deterrant then 3 large blasts which cannot hurt fliers.

The Roc pattern Storm Eagle is for the minotaurs chapter only, its been posted both in IA12 and IA2 2nd Ed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast