BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iyanden for Escalation League - Help?

Hello BoLS. My FLGS is going to be running an Escalation League of sorts next month, going from 500 to 1000 to 1500, then back down to 1000 and down to 500. I've already figured out that my main army (Chaos Space Marines) won't work with what I have available, so my next option is my small Iyanden Eldar force.

Here's the problem. I am not in a position to buy more models. Just can't do it right now, and so I have to cobble something together with what I have, which is:

3 Spiritseers
    15 Wraithguard (can't remember the split, but some have Wraithcannons and some have D-scythes)
    5 Wraithblades
    2 Wraithlords
    1 Wraithknight
    1 Crimson Hunter.

We're supposed to carry units over into the next list, and I don't know if wargear is going to carry over or if we can change it. For 500 points, I have a couple of ideas, but each one has problems.

2 Spiritseers
    2 units x5 Wraithguard, Wraithcannons.
    460 points

40 points shy. If I have to, I can put the Wraithforge stone in there for the later games, but I'd still be under 500. Biggest flaw I see here is I'd have trouble bringing down large squads of infantry (Nids, Orks).

1 Spiritseer
    1 unit x5 Wraithguard, D-scythes
    1 unit x5 Wraithguard, D-scythes
    490 points

10 points under, and my concern is the Spiritseers. I'd have to either pick and choose which unit to Voice of Twilight, or keep the whole group bunches together within its range. Also, the D-scythes would mean a shorter range overall. Rolling 6's for autopens on vehicles means I don't have to concern myself too much with any type of unit in particular, but it means whatever's left after the scything could possibly charge the squads and tear them apart.

So, I put the question to you: are either of these lists worth trying? If they are, which one would you use? Or should I just step back before I embarrass myself on the tabletop again?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall o' text.

i see your problem. but at the 500 pt level surely only one hq is needed ?, possibly even at the 1000pt level?

i might be tempted to put your wraith blades in to 'hold' objectives - i run axes for the same reason [higher ST and IV save]

cant you squeeze the wraith knight into 500pts ? get 3 jet bikes to free up some points? [i mean 3 jetbikes isnt going to break the bank] [borrow some ?]

i really like scytheguard - the keep lots of things 'honest' with their 14" circle of death!

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    i see your problem. but at the 500 pt level surely only one hq is needed ?, possibly even at the 1000pt level?

i might be tempted to put your wraith blades in to 'hold' objectives - i run axes for the same reason [higher ST and IV save]

cant you squeeze the wraith knight into 500pts ? get 3 jet bikes to free up some points? [i mean 3 jetbikes isnt going to break the bank] [borrow some ?]

i really like scytheguard - the keep lots of things 'honest' with their 14" circle of death!

good luck!
    I tried hard to squeeze the Wraithknight in, but there's just no way. A minimum force org for what I have works out to 390, bare bones, 1 HQ and two troop with no extra wargear or upgrades. No room for a Wraithlord, let alone a Wraithknight.

There's one reason I'm not buying more units, and it's only partially financial. I'm not winning enough games to justify spending more money on units that I'm just going to lose with. In fact, if things don't go well here this may be my last foray into 40K for a long time. Possibly for good.

And to make matters worse I now know for a fact that our Tyranid player will be fielding a Flying Hive Tyrant in a 500 point game. Joy. With 2 D-scythe squads I'll have no way to ground it. Still have no idea what to do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

(I did think about jetbikes, though. But if I were gonna go down that road, I'd just load up on them and go Saim-Hann. Was considering it a while ago, actually.)

Brother-Captain

You must be playing against some WAAC guys and are very inexperienced to be losing so much with what is possibly one of the strongest armies in the current meta...Eldar alone are strong, but Iyanden supplement took that and ran with it.

As for facing a flying hive tyrant, you're just going to have to spend the time on grounding it. Or get an Aegis Defense Line (or borrow it from a friend) and use that to bring it down. Fortifications might be a good addition to some of your lists.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    You must be playing against some WAAC guys and are very inexperienced to be losing so much with what is possibly one of the strongest armies in the current meta...Eldar alone are strong, but Iyanden supplement took that and ran with it.

As for facing a flying hive tyrant, you're just going to have to spend the time on grounding it. Or get an Aegis Defense Line (or borrow it from a friend) and use that to bring it down. Fortifications might be a good addition to some of your lists.
    It's a little bit of both, honestly. Our Tyranid player, much as he'll deny it, is a WAAC/Efficiency At All Costs player (I doubt anyone else at this thing is gonna try to cram a flyer into a 500 point list). And I am inexperienced, but this is pretty much my first time fielding Eldar of any sort. I'm usually a CSM player, but I don't have anything in 500 points that works as well as this. Which is kinda sad, when I think about it, but I digress.

With what I have above, I have enough for an Aegis with a quad-gun, but I'd have to stick a squad on the line to crew it. Which means I've either got a full squad of Wraithguard not doing anything, and one roaming the field, or two squads roaming the field and a Spiritseer on the line, and he'll be easy pickings.

Is either one of those a good option? The one game I've played with this list so far wasn't a very good barometer (Six man game, two teams of three, 500 points per player) and everything was dying before I could reach it. I do have an Aegis line of my own, btw, didn't occur to me to list it in my first post.

what about : two wraithlords 2x BL 2x flamer / spiritseer HQ / 2 x minimum 'windrider' / 1 x warlock - thats about it.

spirit seer and lock buff the wraithlords from a discreet position. gjb hide and steal objectives. wraithlord hope for healing powers on psychers and can re-roll all '1's that miss so in effect twin linked against everything and 'second chance '6's' v flyers.

against armies that can shoot WL to bits ; just HIDE.

Brother-Captain

Perhaps:

Spiritseer: Spear of Teuthlas

Wraithguard (5)

Wraithguard (5): D-scythes

497pts

That way you have both. Keep the D-scythes in the way of enemy assault units. They can't assault you on pain of (wall of) death.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Perhaps:

Spiritseer: Spear of Teuthlas

Wraithguard (5)

Wraithguard (5): D-scythes

497pts

That way you have both. Keep the D-scythes in the way of enemy assault units. They can't assault you on pain of (wall of) death.
    I like the look of this, but I think your math is wrong. I'm calculating those units at a total of 455.

I have a selection of lists in mind now, going from 500 to 1000 to 1500. Warning: Wall o Text Incoming.

Spiritseer w/Spear of Teuthlas
    Wraithguard x6 w/Wraithcannons
    Wraithguard x5 w/D-Scythes
    TOTAL: 487

(between lists, add x4 Wraithguard w/ Wraithcannons, split to two squads of five. Our TO confirmed we can do this in this particular tournament.)

Spiritseer w/Spear of Teuthlas
    Spiritseer w/Wraithforge Stone
    Wraithguard x5 w/Wraithcannons
    Wraithlord w/ x2 Flamer, Bright Lance
    TOTAL: 995

(Alternate)
    -1 Wraithlord
    -1 Wraithlord Bright Lance
    +1 Crimson Hunter w/ x2 Bright Lance, Pulse Laser
    TOTAL: still 995

Spiritseer w/ Spear of Teuthlas
    Spiritseer w/ Wraithforge Stone, Soulshrive, Guardian Helm
    Wraithknight w/ Suncannon+Scattershield, Scatter Laser
    Crimson Hunter w/ x2 Bright Lance, Pulse Laser
    TOTAL: 1500 on the nose.

Again, sorry for the wall of text. Our TO says that between lists models may take additional wargear, but we can't take wargear away from a unit between lists. That makes me wonder how I should arrange the gear on the two Spiritseers. Any thoughts on the lists and that particular conundrum?

Thanks again for the help everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

i know ppl rave about the hunter but it is a real glass cannon: i would be tempted to run DE allies just to get a void bomber !

Have now played two games with this army, one at 500 and one at 1000. Lost both, 500 to Tyranids and 1000 to blob IG. Lists have problems with horde armies, apparently. *sigh*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast