BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jonsgot View Post
    That is something I hear a lot. 6th was great but no one played it much, was somehow a bit soulless? Or were we to busy doing what gw customers like to do most. Buying models. I notice there is still no news on sales I mean games day?
    Personally I hit a bit of playing burn out when the Sisters codex dropped and they failed to change things again and my army list didn't gain any options for the third codex in a row (plus I moved from NY to MT in March 2013). I'm finally starting to get back into wanting to play again now that I know what I want to play now (I tend to settle into an army and play it for a long period of time without switching which means I'm very bad at initially picking said army).

Got a bit of info on this passed my way:
    The new rulebook is not a 7th edition of the game, but a re-issue of 6th edition which has the FAQs incorporated in it, and some minor tweaks across the board. Some of you may remember when they did something similar during 3rd edition, where they totally overhauled the assault phase, but the edition itself was left alone from that point. Same idea here-- they're folding in the changes in Stronghold Assault into the main rulebook, and quantifying superheavy units and D weapons in the main rules. But that's about it.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Personally I hit a bit of playing burn out when the Sisters codex dropped and they failed to change things again and my army list didn't gain any options for the third codex in a row (plus I moved from NY to MT in March 2013). I'm finally starting to get back into wanting to play again now that I know what I want to play now (I tend to settle into an army and play it for a long period of time without switching which means I'm very bad at initially picking said army).
    I feel you there. Luckily though with Stronghold out, Sisters can make decently viable lists again. It is frustrating though, compared to Astra Militarum, how guardsman can be ordered again and again each turn to Ignore Cover Pin their target yet Sisters of Battle can only ever do it once per game, or twice if you buy a 10 point upgrade a dedicated Sister has to carry.

If GW weren't going to actually update and improve the army I really wish they would have just left it alone. At this point the WH codex completely trashes the ebook codex in most every way and I've gotten sick of converting metal models only to have each successive half-dex invalidate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I feel you there. Luckily though with Stronghold out, Sisters can make decently viable lists again. It is frustrating though, compared to Astra Militarum, how guardsman can be ordered again and again each turn to Ignore Cover Pin their target yet Sisters of Battle can only ever do it once per game, or twice if you buy a 10 point upgrade a dedicated Sister has to carry.
    You forgot the 3rd one they get if they buy a special character. :P

But yes, it annoys the heck out of me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    If GW weren't going to actually update and improve the army I really wish they would have just left it alone. At this point the WH codex completely trashes the ebook codex in most every way and I've gotten sick of converting metal models only to have each successive half-dex invalidate them.
    The lack of improvements is why I sent a 20 page document to GW (addressed to Phil Kelly specifically but he passed it to the collective Rules Team since he is not working rules but is doing the lore side of things) outlining pretty much nothing but improvements (I think I did have some downgrades in there but there wasn't much). When I was cautioned about "overegging the pudding" (that is adding too much in that improves things and basically making my preferred faction "too good" I pointed out the reasoning being that it's to make all the options equally viable and useful to the players and as it stands large swathes of the codex are not being used because they're just not well balanced with the stuff that is actually balanced in the game, as well as my changes not taking away the short range and low toughness weaknesses that define the army).

So yeah, I wasn't happy that the new book didn't really help fix anything.

SoB was a 'get you by' affair, and in that strict context, a pretty decent attempt, when it could have just been some pages in WD.

It's not great, but it's more than they have previously churned out in a similar vein. But those who feel it's all they're ever getting and meant to be a full on Codex have somewhat missed the point.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 04-30-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    SoB was a 'get you by' affair, and in that strict context, a pretty decent attempt, when it could have just been some pages in WD.

It's not great, but it's more than they have previously churned out in a similar vein. But those who feel it's all they're ever getting and meant to be a full on Codex have somewhat missed the point.
    By "get you by" you mean "remove a special character, drop the Serphim Superior and nerf Acts of Faith" because it sure didn't do anything else. Even the WD codex has more of a feeling of change to it than this one.
    Last edited by Clockwork; 04-30-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    Someone in the UK on another board checked the UK version. It's listed as "available" but apparently you can't add it to your cart.
    I just checked the UK site and I can add the Dark Vengeance box to the cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

That point beeing? They already had a full 2nd edition codex (thats where most of the fluff was copy&pasted from) and people expect nothing less from this edition (and rightfully so). So its not "more than they have previously churned out" because even most dataslates have more original content than the SOB "codex" and they deserve a proper codex like every other army.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto67 View Post
    I just checked the UK site and I can add the Dark Vengeance box to the cart.
    I was talking about the rulebook, not Dark Vengeance. DV was pulled from the GWs in English countries, but I haven't heard if it's started to being pulled from the site yet.

Battle-Brother

Hey, Clockwork-

I know you can't reveal your source for that info ("The new rulebook is not a 7th edition of the game, but a re-issue of 6th edition which has the FAQs incorporated in it, and some minor tweaks across the board....").

But can you indicate your level of confidence in the source or the info?

Thanks,

Brent

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast