BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    $99 for a FAQ update!
    FAQ update/roll-up that is apparently over 600 pages thick. And a new cover.

From the sound of things though you won't need it if you have the current book though. Just the FAQ for the old version.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
    From the Lords of War Facebook page:
    Interesting. Wonder if there'll be an options for just the individual books

Veteran-Sergeant

Percentages make a lot of sense. Should discourage deathstar HQ units in games under 2000pts and will force people to have a bare minimum of points invested in troops. Utterly sick of two minimum squads of cultists on the table so my opponent can spam Daemon Princes, Heldrakes etc.

Also, I'm pretty fine with Prescience being nerfed. It hurts my Dark Angels but, let's face it, that power is just outright OP.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    Interesting. Wonder if there'll be an options for just the individual books
    Knowing GW? Probably not. Still cuts down the size of the book you need to carry everywhere.

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah not really liking the idea of sweeping changes, played every edition since second, this is by far my favorite. I even think the codex's are more balanced then they've been before though I don't play in tournament environments anymore and I could see them being imbalanced with the volume of options available in the hands of min/max players.

I do think this edition is awesome for the casual gaming group who wants lots of options and to not write house rules. Not so much for the tournament side of things. Making a take all comers list this edition would be a nightmare.

That said I really hope that it's just a rebind (or a tweak or the current ruleset) with new art, and faq's. If it happens to include some of the expansions like ppl are rumoring I'll be pretty happy.

Sweeping changes and maybe I'll just convince my group to stick with 6th (pending what they are).

Chaplain

Be nice if they combined materials from Death from the Skies, Kill Team, Carnage, updated Cities of Death and Planetstike into the new Rulebook as well but that would probably thrill too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    Be nice if they combined materials from Death from the Skies, Kill Team, Carnage, updated Cities of Death and Planetstike into the new Rulebook as well but that would probably thrill too much.
    The only real useful addition from Death from the Skies is maybe the flier ace rules.
    Kill Team and campaign rules would be awesome.
    Cities of Death and Planetstrike are pretty well covered with the updated building and fortification rules from stronghold assault, all that is left is different missions and strategems, which seem like obvious options for a set of products like the warzone books for Apoc.

I'm interested in percentage based army selection.

Worked really well in Warhammer 8th Edition, despite what some might claim.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I'm interested in percentage based army selection.

Worked really well in Warhammer 8th Edition, despite what some might claim.
    Doesnt really work with 40k though.

say you play chaos, but want a terminator themed list?

well the cost difference in terminators compared to cultists means that you are unable to have a significant portion of your force be terminators in a standard 1850 game.

Percentages put huge constraints of themed lists that do not have core troops that fit the theme

EDIT:
    one marine specific example.

under likely percentage rules (from the recent BoLS article) a space marine terminator squad is not allowed to purchase a dedicated land raider in games of less than 1850 (and not even that with certain load outs)

stupid idea

edit2: All percentages are llikely to do is drive the game even further to hyper-efficient builds, in poarticular ones that rely either on a single hammer unit that draws its percentage allotment from multiple areas (HQ, ELITE, ALLIES) OR towards spamming effective troops choices and not considering anything else beyond a few force multipliers

edit3: so essentially percentages in 40k would

limit possible themed builds
    hinter entire units structures thus driving the size of the game to higher points to include them
    not likely combat the 2 perceived problems of spam or deathstars
    Last edited by daboarder; 05-01-2014 at 12:42 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Doesnt really work with 40k though.

say you play chaos, but want a terminator themed list?
    Agree with the whole post, didn't want to quote the whole thing. I don't think a percentage system would work either. Whatever restrictions they place on strong units people will always min / max.

I enjoy the freedom currently for themed lists, but it allows for some not fun games.

Really it just comes down to the people you play with more then anything. Stacked lists can be fun to fight against if your opponent lets you take a list that has a chance of dealing with it.

Restricting lists like you're talking about would probably help, but not fix the game with balance. You would start facing very similar armies all the time if everyone was forced into % based force org. It would be much more boring in my opinion. And you would just change, not eliminate min max lists.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast