BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Librarian

I'm not one for competitive play (although I can see the appeal) so you know when I say I don't like the sound of most of these changes its not because of 'butthurt'. Having said that I will have a good few games before righting off 7th. I have loved 6th much more then 5th and 4th. Even if I don't like 7th I won't be selling any armies because I can always play 6th or just wait. My 2 pence for what its worth.
    I didn't do it. You can't prove i did it. Ok I'm sorry send me the bill.

What a lot of whining when all we have is a vague description of the new features in a WD editorial. From what it sounds like people are going to be able to run lore friendly things like armoured columns and all wraith armies and ASSUMING the new rules don't provide some checks and balances we don't know about if you think a particular army is broken don't bloody play against it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgar View Post
    Speak for yourself. You're taking your own experience at your local stores and extrapolating it to the whole community. I can do that too!

For example: we have a single guy at our store who runs broken lists like Seer Councils on Jetbikes, Daemons Flying Circus, Farsight Bomb etc. That's it. He's the only one. The rest of us take fun lists that lead to good, closely fought games because we think those broken lists are douchebaggery.

Maybe the people at your LGS are just *******s?
    Perhaps they are. Perhaps they're different from your group but from what I've seen and heard its more the norm than anything else. My buddy Triumphus just moved to a whole different area of the country and walked into his new LGS and said "Hi I'm new here. Does anyone want to play a game?" and the guy that offered to play him showed up to the table with an illegal screamerstar list.

I refuse to indulge them at my LGS but I feel like I'm an exception to the rule. The problem is, that out of the 2 LGS in my area, mine is the less cut-throat one. This isn't isolated to just my gaming group - I've experienced it in nearly every LGS that I've been a part of. It usually happens when a plastic napoleon comes along and decides he wants to "practice" for his tournament coming up. Soon, the weekly campaign is full of silly crap like venom spam, broadside spam, necron flier spam.

I know a few guys that gave up trying to fight the tide and went to Warmachine where they feel that they can get a fair shake at a fun game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What a lot of whining when all we have is a vague description of the new features in a WD editorial. From what it sounds like people are going to be able to run lore friendly things like armoured columns and all wraith armies and ASSUMING the new rules don't provide some checks and balances we don't know about if you think a particular army is broken don't bloody play against it.
    What am I supposed to do when the 3 people left playing 40k at my LGS all are playing broadside spammy lists?
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    What am I supposed to do when the 3 people left playing 40k at my LGS all are playing broadside spammy lists?
    Get some of your friends playing the game, convert them to the way of Jervis.

I am quite fortunate I guess, my wargamming groups is my gaming group +2, there are about 10 of us or so that meet and play arranged games at arrange point levels. The closest to a power gamer we have is a rules lawyer, whose vast collection of armies is enough to make it a bit unpredictable.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

I am quite fortunate I guess, my wargamming groups is my gaming group +2, there are about 10 of us or so that meet and play arranged games at arrange point levels. The closest to a power gamer we have is a rules lawyer, whose vast collection of armies is enough to make it a bit unpredictable.
    Yeah, kind of hard to do when there are 4 people telling them to get into Warmachine.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

now make an army of forgefiends, defilers and heldrakes....unbound strike force made of leman russ battle tanks...salivating at the prospect of taking an army that consists of riptides and braodsides
    The way of jervis
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Yeah, kind of hard to do when there are 4 people telling them to get into Warmachine.

Tell them warmachine is pants, give them copies of DoW and go look shiney!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Librarian

Personally, I'm not thinking of leaving 40k because my "broken list" is not going to win anymore. I'm thinking about putting my models in extended storage because I'm thoroughly frightened that GW has blatantly decided to no longer write rules that promote a fun, healthy game. They are simply writing rules to sell models - and thats it. If there's any doubt thats what unbound is all about, I simply have to refer to the article where the staff are happily spamming their big expensive kits.
    That's all fine and dandy, but I'm surprised at peoples' surprise about GW trying to sell models. Haven't we been saying for years now that GW is not a rules company, they're a model company? I'm rather amazed that when GW tries to sell models, people get surprised when... GW tries to sell more models.

I myself am working on a Space Sharks list that I've been buying in small chunks, painting what I have, and then buying more, which seems to be what GW wants people to do. I find myself enjoying it a lot more because my army is more painted than most of my opponents when it comes time to put models on the table. I don't have enough models in this force to abuse the Unbound rules, and it'll be a long time before I get to that point at the rate I'm going. Sure, I could go out and buy 3 more Land Raiders and throw in an Imperial Knight for funsies, but that's not the way I'm going about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

As though it's so easy to convince people to drop hundreds of dollars into plastic figures and rulebooks

I'm in a similar boat to Defenestratus, as I said in a post earlier in this thread. The local community here is all min-maxers, aside from my one friend whose work schedule keeps us from being able to get games in, so my only real outlet to play is the tri-monthly tournaments where every game I'm against Eldar, Tau, Taudar, Necrons, Taucron, or recently IG all fully decked out while I've got my biker-less, grav centurion-less Codex Marines army(one of the only ones that's both fully painted and that I didn't pay someone else to paint for me), because I don't like the models for the actual competitive C:SM options.

Veteran-Sergeant

^agreed. the tossing of foc would be manageable if tabling an opponent stopped being a viable tactic... but thats its own can of worms

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast