BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Picking... a 30k Force? Maybe?

It seems like 30k is going to be catching on at my FLGS. Two dudes are talking about getting armies already. Elsewhere, at my other 30k force, three guys already have 30k armies.

Thus it begins.

Anyway, I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon. The question is, which kind?

Fluff-wise, I like Blood Angels, I like good guys (though I can also enjoy doomed heroes), and I prefer mobile and dynamic armies (and hate gunlines).

At the moment, I'm leaning towards...

• Salamanders: definitely heroic, and green is my favorite color, plus all those flamers and meltas will be awesome in the Zone Mortalis battles we're likely to start with.
    • Thousand Sons: tragic heroes, fatally undone by powers beyond their comprehension.
    • Blood Angels: I already play a Blood Angels successor, so why not continue in that trend?
    • Mechanicus: f^*k yeah cyborg weirdos. Also, they're not Space Marines.

So, what do you think I'd like? Any suggestions?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

EP I'm doing two of my three favorite army's of 30k iron hands and rogue trader army

Brother-Captain

I'm going to see what the new 30K general rules book gives us in terms of Legion flavor before diving too far into 30K -- but I do love the models.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master

I chose mine by writing a list of all 18 legions. And then crossed them all out one at a time.

Things like crossing 1K Sons off cos a friend did them. Crossing Emperors Children off cos I don't want to paint pink. Cross all the Loyalists off cos I wanted to be a bad guy :P

Ended up with my Word Bearers.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Currently i'm building a Great Crusade Space Wolf army, Legion VI. However, once FW gets around to doing the related book, they will definitely get Leman Russ. Currently at 2k points i think my list comes off as shooting base, with 2x 20 Tacticals with Apothicaries as a good core. and a squad of predators with Autocannon (its better then 40k version) and lascannon sponsoons with Machine spirit upgrade. Thus allowing 6 lascannon to hit one target and all three autocannons to go where ever. The thing to note about 30k armies is the need for Rites of War. In order to unlock Drop Pods for Tactical Squads, you gota take a Praetor to give you access to the Orbital Strike Rite of War. These Rites have limitations and bonuses for your units. Note though that you can take three different kinds of Drop Pods though... Regular (requires the Orbital Strike Rite of War), Anvillus (which is a Fast Attack choice) and Kharybdis (which is a Heavy Support choice). There are many differences in the 30k line up, and I've found out that Army Builder (the software) doesn't have the right points cost for stuff, so don't solely rely on that.

The salamanders fluff in massacre is absolutely brilliant writing by forge world and their models are awesome so far.

In terms of being highly mobile and dynamic tactics read the alpha legion rules and fluff in exterminations. Off the chain cool, could also do raven guard as they also have elements of that

I was thinking of doing Raven Guard, simple because I liked the HH books about Corax so much. Unfortunately, I really don't like black (or dark) power armour on minis. So, I'm waiting now to see what FW will do with Space Wolves, then I'll decide between them or Mechanicum (great minis).