BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Double Post
    Last edited by lohnpondai; 05-22-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Double Post

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Support powers seem to always be more powerful and interesting than powers that just do stuff, and Divination has the best support powers.
    I think div is the most... solid. With prescience and misfortune nerfed, it doesn't have any op powers generally, but everything there is good.

Biomancy, telepathy, and malefic each have one or two crazy powers.

There are a few solid powers scattered about, and a lot of lemons mixed in. So excluding those few potentially broken powers, just go divination or your book powers. But overall, psykers seem to be reigned in. There will likely be a few exceptions.

I think no charge out of flying will keep fmcs honest. Except for hive tyrants, that is.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Continuing with my egotistical evaluation of the newly leaked Psychic Powers (which I am accepting a legit at this time), let's tackle Pyromancy:

(Primaris)- Flame Breath WC-1
    Well, this Discipline didn't get a lot of use in 6th Edition. A STR-5 Template is nice but it should have been AP-3. It might at least have been as good as a Noise Marine Doom Siren. It isn't awful, but it isn't great either. No one will feel totally cheated if they default to it, but let's be honest here, this doesn't compare well to some of the other Primaris Powers.

(1) - Fiery Form WC-1
    Well, it can give you an 4+ Invulnerable save. If they had added that it would increase an existing 4+ to a 3+ I might have been more thrilled. Soul Blaze in 6th Edition was an annoyance and a joke. We don't know yet if it has gotten any sharper teeth, so my evaluation might be too hasty. I don't care about re-rolling to wound with other highly unlikely to be used Pyromancy powers. It doesn't suck but it doesn't thrill me either.

(2) Fire Shield WC-1
    This one isn't bad at all. While Cover is easily bypassed these days, something is better than nothing. The Dangerous Terrain is nice too, and it might get even better if we find out Dangerous Terrain got some sharper teeth in this edition. Blessings, in general, tend to be more useful than Witchfire and that is certainly the case here. Thumbs up on this one.

(3) Spontaneous Combustion WC-1
    This is another good one. It is unclear at this time whether or not Look Out Sirs could be used (or how they work this time around) but it seems as if you get to choose the target within range and zap them. This is some pinpoint destruction which might be good for taking out key Heavy Weapons and so on. I remain hopeful that since we have to cast that using this Witchfire won't require a shooting attack as well. I like the utility of this one. So far we have three solid ones and an "eh" Primaris.

(4) Sunburth WC-1
    This one is a Nova power so it will be interesting to see if these have changed any. It is very short range but provides an Assault shooting at STR-4 AP-5. It ignores cover and fires 2D6 attacks (so an average of 7). It has the expected Soul Blaze. It sounds like some kind of rapid fire mini-flame thrower effect to me. It isn't awesome but like the Primaris Power it doesn't suck either. You won't feel cheated although it won't make or break a game (or even a combat) for you.

(5) Inferno WC-2
    This one is kind of bland. It is a STR-4 Large Blast that ignores cover and has the ubiquitous Soul Blaze. It is listed as Assault-1 so it is likely you don't just get to place it but have a standard deviation roll based on your BS. If I just got to place it I would be a lot happier. Like many of these ignores cover powers, it seems tailored to screw over Tau, Eldar, and IG sitting in cover. Against the lower Toughness types it will rock the house. It is yet another power that you wont' feel cheated to have, will get to use, but won't turn the tide one way or the other.

(6) Molten Beam WC-2
    This one will either be surprisingly good (depending upon how Beam are defined this time around) or just plain awful. If the Beam gets to hit everything in the line between the shooter and the target, I'm down with this. If it does not do this, why on Earth would I want to risk Perils for what amounts to a damn Melta Gun?

There are really too many unknowns to evaluate this one because as a Witchfire Discipline (primarily) we just don't know enough yet. We can make some educated guesses and likely assumptions but with Games Workshop that is always risky. I tend to assume the worst, which means I think this Discipline will simply be marginal and largely unused again.

Misfortune seems to make heavy bolters into pretty decent anti-tank now?

Also... kinda wondering how the runic staff bubble is going to work. I am sure it will be changed eventually but until then... wonder if it stacks with using warp charges to counter?

I can see myself podding 3 grey hunter squads turn 1 - each with a rune priest (one of them njal) - maybe giving njal div and the others bio. Presumably you can now use blessings after coming in on reserves now?
    Last edited by skeletoro; 05-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Moving on to an egotistical evaluation of Divination....

(Primaris) - Prescience WC-2
    Hrm. Apparently despite the entire community commenting on how potent this ability is and how easy it is to abuse it, Games Workshop felt nothing more was needed that making it WC-2. Had they moved it OFF the Primaris, that might have been enough. As it stands, you can guarantee this CHERRY power in your list. At least this time around they decided to let CSM have it. It never made any sense that we didn't have it. Let's be honest here, (4) Precognition SHOULD have been the Primaris. Needless to say this power is awesome and you will be thrilled to have it. You will always take it.

(1) Foreboding WC-1
    Great power, probably as good for many armies as the spectacular Primaris. You get to Overwatch at full Ballistic Skill. Imagine my Noise Marines and their Sonic Blasters casually evaporating a unit or some massive blob or any unit spamming Plasma or whatever else you can think of. Divination doesn't really have ANY bad powers which is why Games Workshop is clearly ignorant of their own rules. Most people will simply take Divination. *Easy to cast.

(2) Forewarning WC-1
    Here is another Easy to cast MONSTER of a spell. Give a 4+ Invulnerable save to an entire unit. What else do I need to say. Of course you want it.

(3) Perfect Timing WC-12
    Easy to cast and always a good time. We don't know for "certain" what Ignore Cover does this time around but chances are it is going to be awesome whether it reduces it by -2 or entirely. Who wouldn't want this?

(4) Precognition WC-1
    Ok this one is a great keep your Sorcerer alive, allowing rerolls on attack, damages, and saving throws. It is my opinion that this SHOULD have been the Primaris. Of course, it is going to be a MONSTER in the hands of a monster. MC/FMC that reroll to hit you, wound you, and get to reroll their saves. Easy to cast too. I mean from that point of view it sounds good that it ISN'T the Primaris, but at the same time we also know that volume of twin-linked fire tends to dominate as well. Hard call. Either way it is a great power and one more reason those Chaos Daemons will be ungodly difficult to kill.

(5) MIsfortune WC-2
    Of all the powers this one is the least over the top. It is still good. In a game wherein volume of fire has become common, Rending is a great way to go right to the Invulnerable save with a portion of your hits. Oddly enough, since this one isn't as good as a bunch of the WC-1 powers, I have no idea what they were thinking. Either way, if you get it you wont' feel entirely boned, but you will have wanted one of the other ones.

(6) Scrier's Gaze WC-2
    Again, I'm not that keen on a WC-2 for this one when there were WC-1 Powers that were better. Getting to reroll reserves and outflank is nice and all, but you have to have the damn power up at the right time. So the only real question is whether or not the tactical objective cards part will really matter. Not every game is going to use those missions. All in all this one is of the least interest to me.

Divination is pretty much a MUST TAKE. It blows away every other Discipline in functional application.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

WC2 Means that to even come close to reliably casting prescience you need to throw 4 dice at it, it should not be undersetimated
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Are individual psykers still limited to a maximum of ML cast per turn? E.g. a mastery level 1 psyker can only cast one power per turn? I assume so, and I assume that failed attempts also count towards this limit, but thought i'd check?

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    WC2 Means that to even come close to reliably casting prescience you need to throw 4 dice at it, it should not be undersetimated
    I don't underestimate it, but I also think that when they need it, i.e. on the key turn, they will throw plenty of dice at it. We both know that 40K is a short game that takes a long time. There are key moments that make and break the game. Anyone who builds a Psyker list will have plenty of dice to throw at it and will throw the required dice when the time comes. Granted, there is always Deny the Witch, but with so many other great powers in this Discipline, I kind of think it will be hard to stop them all, unless said army is also Psyker dedicated. The big IG blobs backed by their cheap Psykers are going to be fearsome things.

So the Psychic Powers seems to have dealt Assault yet another body blow. With Divination clearly the "go to" Discipline of choice, you can expect to run into Overwatch at full BS on a more frequent basis. That is, of course, assuming you ever get close enough to even get hit by Overwatch. Shooting, at least so far, still appears to be very much the king. I am hoping there will be something tossed to the hand to hand crowd, some crumb.

Veteran-Sergeant

*mutters* Crumb being assault from transports...

Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast