BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

There's an article by a guy called Sirlin on "beginner's luck" on that exact subject worth reading.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Megad00mer View Post
    No more 50% limit on reserves anymore. My Nids like that.
    For me the elimination of the maximum on reserves means the return of my lists that hit almost entirely from reserves, i.e. coming in from Outflank, Deepstrike, and fliers of course. It means very hard times for gun line armies who got an unfair boost by the fact so many of us were forced to put half our armies on the gun range for them to attrition until our up close and personal Flamers, Meltas, Baleflamers, etc. arrived to decimate the gun lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    4) Taking even MORE Helldrakes is painfully easy in this edition and people can't complain about it because <gasp> that 360 thing has been fixed.
    Cool. Put 'em down! I agree that there will be far less *****ing. This was a good fix.
    "Let blood and fire obliterate the world! I will never desist till I have dragged to my palace by her hair the barbarian queen, the daughter of dogs!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    There's an article by a guy called Sirlin on "beginner's luck" on that exact subject worth reading.
    Got linkage?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Lots to like about the little changes...

Like the new Jink. 4+ cover and you do not have to have moved to claim it.

Being able to cast blessing after arriving from reserve is a nice.

Also a fan of the 50% reserve restriction going away although the autolose scenario is still there.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Lots to like about the little changes...

Like the new Jink. 4+ cover and you do not have to have moved to claim it.

Being able to cast blessing after arriving from reserve is a nice.

Also a fan of the 50% reserve restriction going away although the autolose scenario is still there.
    I'm building an artillery battery for my Guard just in case I run into this situation.

Grenades can only be used once per unit per phase. :-) No more dreadnought krak grenade sad faces.

One thing I noticed. Warlords aren't restricted to HQs. Doesn't have to be an independent character. So in theory, you could select a sergeant or some other squad leader as your warlord. Also doesn't have the "highest leadership value" restriction anymore.

I'm not certain when it would be a wise choice to select a regular character as the warlord, other than an unbound list with no HQs.

I will say my favorite part about unbound is the ability to run small lists without a ridiculously high ranking officer leading it. Hey, tac squad and scouts, go recon that area over there. What you need someone to lead you? Ok, the Chapter Master himself will come along...

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    It just depends on the situation and the "flock" of dragons. When you run 3+ Helldrakes you are willing to Hover with the odd one and even Jink because the others take up the slack on the alternating turns. Mr. Mystery, I am decent enough guy and fun to play. I am also (as my friend Kerstan will tell you) very competitive. I play to win. I will adjust my lists to make it a fair fight because I want to beat you myself and give you no way to blame it on my list. "I" want to beat you. But, as a competitive player, I understand the mindset of those who don't care about the challenge and only want to win. I don't begrudge them this mindset, I just don't share it. An empty victory means nothing to me; however, those types of players are very good at logistics, and thus to beat them I must be good at logistics.

The new rules are great from my perspective because it means the rug has been yanked from under the feet of all those complaining about the Helldrake. Logistically, however, the problems remain for those trying to fight it. Logistically the return on a dragon has not altered at all. The only thing that has changed is the margin of error in your flight patterns. It takes a bit more skill and knowledge to maximize air time and targets. As long as the person controlling them applies this care, the damage output is the same. Let me put it to you this way, how long do you think it will take for the average competitive player to fly flawless patterns? How long do you think it will take them to figure out that two dragons working in tandem can hit the same targets as before with the added bonus of an extra torrent? It all comes back to math. You should be pleased that I am cheering on this change to the rules. I agree with it, although not for the reasons most people seem enchanted by it. I like it because I'm sick of listening to people complain about dragons.
    Hence why I think I'll field more sky rays in my Tau army, or more missile sides. In essence you must understand if you are fielding more hellturkies, than people can field more anti air units as well. As a Tau player only the invulnerable save is a bother since sky fire and ignoring cover saves isn't an issue.

Since I don't run interceptor as much you'll be able to get an initial first attack and be sitting ducks/ turkeys the rest of the game.

than if I'm playing daemons than it's vector strikes galore. Either way not really worried about the turkies.

Now with my sister guard they will be a problem. However since I can now have more anti air solutions., I think it probably won't be a problem, too bad no ignore cover save orders for vehicles ;-(, besides using divination.

I think it will be smart to run a good number of troops still. even though everything can score, only troops can deny. I can see games where people will lose because both sides have 6 points, but the guy with the most troops on each point will wind up winning, so in close tie like games having troops is going to matter a lot.

unless I misread or got misinformation if two sides are sitting on a point they both get the point unless the troop choice contest and deny the extra point to the other player. which gives people the illusion they don't need as much troops, but in reality they probably need more.

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I think it will be smart to run a good number of troops still. even though everything can score, only troops can deny. I can see games where people will lose because both sides have 6 points, but the guy with the most troops on each point will wind up winning, so in close tie like games having troops is going to matter a lot.

unless I misread or got misinformation if two sides are sitting on a point they both get the point unless the troop choice contest and deny the extra point to the other player. which gives people the illusion they don't need as much troops, but in reality they probably need more.
    Non-troops deny other non-troops, only one side can control an objective at a time. It's just that non-troops can't contest against troops (or other units with Objective Secured, see Pedro + Sternguard).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast