BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marful View Post
    And that reason was because of Mastery Level? Or another game mechanic, like say, Warp Charges?

Here is a hint: there was no Psychic Phase in 6th Ed. Psych Powers were spread out over all three phases (Movement, Shooting, Assault).

Regardless, the limitation wasn't because of mastery level.
    Well it was as mastery level only granted you one warp charge per mastery level. Yes, the psychic phase works differently now. But you raise a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Krefey it is ery simple.

Please quote the rule which defines the specifics of the relationship between Mastery level and the number of powers which can be cast.

as opposed to merely quoting the rule which states there IS a relationship
    Actually, you know wht, reading page 24 in the physical copy of the rulebook, under manifesting psychic powers:
    If, after attempting to manifest a psychic power, you still have Warp Charge points left, you can attempt to manifest another power with the same unit...
    would really seem to settle the issue and allow you to cast as many powers you want regardless of mastery level. Of course, I got shouted down when I brought this up on the other forum. But it looks like you would agree.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Yup we all agree
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

You're all reading 2 separate sections to prove your point. I will quote the single paragraph you all seem intent on NOT taking into account that proves I'm right along with anyone else who agrees with that side of this argument:

"A psykers entry will usually state how many psychic powers the psyker has. Where this is not the case The Psyker knows a number of powers equal to his Mastery Level. Each of these powers will need to be generated as descrbied opposite."

So, we have here a statement that clearly shows a psyker could know more powers than his mastery level allows in theory; so from that suddenly your statement that he/she can continue casting at random will makes no sense because a level 1 psyker may have more powers than a normal level 1 psyker. The psyker's 'entry' is not dependant on his mastery level in any way shape or form in modern English.

This is 2 sections of a book, the first tells you the mechanic of the psychic phase while the 2nd tells you how. You are all using the rule that is written to cover multiple mastery levels and psykers to show that actually mastery level has very little bearing on #powers cast.

And don't expect anymore replies; I've proven my point enough to satisfy an Inquistor let alone anyone else.
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 07-14-2014 at 02:22 AM.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Occuli Imperator

"One must behave as if you were a gentleman, even if he is not!"

Keep it civil, disagreements are good, reasoned debates better. Name calling and personal attacks, no.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    You're all reading 2 separate sections to prove your point. I will quote the single paragraph you all seem intent on NOT taking into account that proves I'm right along with anyone else who agrees with that side of this argument:

"A Psykers entry will usually state how many psychic powers the psyker has. Where this is not the case The Psyker knows a number of powers equal to his Mastery Level. Each of these powers will need to be generated as described opposite."
    All these three sentences do is define how many powers a Psyker knows. As a matter of fact, the rule you are quoting only serves a purpose when a Psyker's Unit Entry does not explicitly state how many Psychic Powers it knows.

Nor is a Psyker's Mastery Level the limit to the number of powers a Psyker can know. For if you read the next few paragraphs the rules emphatically state that this is not the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th Edition BRB, Page 22
    Number of Psychic Powers

A Psyker's entry will usually state how many psychic powers a Psyker has. Where this is not the case, the Psyker knows a number of psychic powers equal to his Mastery Level. Each of these powers will need to be generated as described opposite.

If a Psyker generates all of his psychic powers from the same psychic discipline, that Psyker will automatically know that discipline's primaris power in addition to any other powers they know, as described in Psychic Focus (below).

If a Psyker has one or more weapons with the Force Special Rule, that Psyker automatically knows the Force Psychic power (see opposite) in addition to any other power they know.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    So, we have here a statement that clearly shows a psyker could know more powers than his mastery level allows in theory; so from that suddenly your statement that he/she can continue casting at random will makes no sense because a level 1 psyker may have more powers than a normal level 1 psyker. The psyker's 'entry' is not dependant on his mastery level in any way shape or form in modern English.
    That is incorrect. It is not from this that we deduce that a Psyker can cast each of the psychic powers the Psyker knows.

It is by examining the sequence of play for using a psychic power, as outlined on page 23 and 24 of the 7th edition basic rulebook, we can see that the rules clearly account for, and explicitly state the conditions for when a Psyker can not continue casting Psychic Powers. Not one of these conditions includes a limitation due to the Mastery Level of the Psyker manifesting powers.

As a matter of fact in the 7th edition Rulebook, on page 23, from the beginning of the section titled "Manifesting Psychic Powers" all the way through page 24 to the very end of the section detailing the rules for "Manifesting Psychic Powers", not once is "Mastery Level" even mentioned. However, this rule section does state several different reason for when a Psyker can no longer continue manifesting Psychic Powers.

These limitations are the only limitations outlined in the 7th edition rulebook for when a Psyker cannot attempt to manifest a psychic power. No where else does it state a condition other than these three.

1.) The Player whose Psychic Phase it is no longer has any Warp Charges.
    2.) The Psyker has already attempted to manifest that specific Psychic Power this turn.
    3.) The Psyker has attempted to manifest all of the Psychic Powers it knows this turn.

Lastly, if we hold the premise that Mastery Level = Maximum Powers a model can Manifest a turn, then that rule contradicts the entirety of the rules for "Manifesting Psychic Powers on pages 23-24, as they would be invalidated because they explicitly allow for manifesting of Psychic Powers when a model would otherwise not be able to (under the assumed premise).

All that, and Psychic Focus shows ML1 will, by default, always have two powers.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

7th is so frustrating with all these ambiguities in rules. So give it to me straight people.

I've got 5 warp charges this turn. Cotaez knows 2 powers from Divination plus the Primaris for a total of 3. How many powers can he cast this turn?
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Occuli Imperator

Upto 3.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Four, he also has Force. He has, say, Prescience, Forwarning, Misfortune, and Force, with 5 dice to cast those powers.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Occuli Imperator

Yes, sorry I had neglected Force.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast