BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Pandorax.
    Excellent. Thanks old bean.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Am I right in thinking that what we're seeing with the GK codex is the most flagrant money grab GW has ever done? Taking a codex, gutting out half the rules, gutting out characters who lack a model, and leaving existing GK players with the option to buy the GK codex, the Inquisition codex when it comes out, and the assassin dataslate?
    I'm not sure if it's the most flagrant, the Wolf Guard edition of the Spikings Codex hoves into view on a santa sled...

That they're replacing the old £20 codex with a collection of three books totalling £70, only with less options overall, because no miniature = no rules?
    Yes.

And I'm supposed to get excited about this?!
    Yes.

The chance to replace my existing codex with one which is basically going to be a cut-paste job with less stuff for over three times the price?!
    Uh-huh.

That's absolutely f***ing despicable behaviour. Absolutely f***ing despicable.
    Have you seen their financials?
    Last edited by Cutter; 08-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara View Post
    As an aside, despite that fact that the codex is probably going to be pretty basic, I still plumped for the collectors edition. You may call me a mug...
    Mug

...with more bucks than brains, and I won't argue about it (except the "bucks" bit). I know I am, but Daemonhunters were my first army. I couldn't help it.
    It's also a shame they couldn't be arsed producing a custom set of objective markers for the GK, but I guess that would only have pushed the already radio-rental price tag even higher.

It feels a bit like a box ticking exercise, 7th edition is here, lets get the last of the floppy codices updated and out the door quick smart. Given that this is going to be achieved in short order, I can't help but be intrigued to see what they come up with AFTER the last of the 'traditional' codices drops.

Still, regardless of any feelings of muggery, I hope you enjoy your new Codex.

"Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    It's also a shame they couldn't be arsed producing a custom set of objective markers for the GK, but I guess that would only have pushed the already radio-rental price tag even higher.
    If GW sold objective markers for each army, they'd be more popular than the Datacard packs.

I can't help but be intrigued to see what they come up with AFTER the last of the 'traditional' codices drops.
    I expect they will start doing what Jervis mentioned a little bit ago which was to begin releasing models/rules as they see fit in dataslate form. Having full codices for all the armies sets the baseline where they want it to be and then they can just do one-offs for whatever unit, character, beastie, etc. they feel like doing. As I recall the goal was to be able to provide things for all armies here and there so people didn't have to wait 4-5 years for their next codex just to get something new for their favorite army.

Anyway, just my hunch...
    Last edited by silashand; 08-18-2014 at 10:29 AM.

It feels a bit like a box ticking exercise, 7th edition is here, lets get the last of the floppy codices updated and out the door quick smart. Given that this is going to be achieved in short order, I can't help but be intrigued to see what they come up with AFTER the last of the 'traditional' codices drops.
    I am worried how Dark Eldar, Necrons and Blood angles will fair if that is their intent now. Just get rid of all the soft cover codices and have hard cover and digital only codices now. Really worried for Necrons and DE for just being rushed. BA may have fair a bit better if they were worked on sooner.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chapter-Master

Excellent. Thanks old bean.
    It's honestly a terrible book, but in a very Megashark vs Giant Octopus kind of way.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    It's honestly a terrible book, but in a very Megashark vs Giant Octopus kind of way.
    So you are saying it ranks up there with Sharknado 2? Glad I didn't read it then...

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    Grey Knights didn't get models until 2nd edition as well and you could buy two different Inquisitor models to use with them *if* you wanted, but they were not purchased as a squad upgrade or as part of the GK terminator unit. They didn't start wearing power armour until the Daemonhunters book which by that time both them and Sisters were pretty well fleshed out.
    That's actually not correct, Silas. Grey Knights were in Power Armor from their very first army list, which was released in 1988 (one year after Rogue Trader was published). In fact, back then there was no such thing at Termimator Armour, which wasn't invented until some time later. When it was, there was a White Dwarf article with some background, line-art work, and unit entries for Grey Knights Terminator Squads, and the Grey Knights Terminator Captain. These unit entries were meant for use with that original 1988 army list that was included in the Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness book. Not too much later those Grey Knights Terminators got their own metal models, too (for the Grey Knights in power armour of the Rogue Trader era, you were supposed to use the RTB-01 plastics, and whatever other lead Marine models were available, just like any other Chapter). Several of the various Inquisitor and the Daemonhunter Inquisitor models hailed from the Rogue Trader era, as well.

As to the topic, I completely agree with the way they are splitting them back out, especially the assassins. And since there are multiple Inquisitorial Ordos I think moving all of them out as well is perfectly acceptable and appropriate.
    I agree with you here.

Chaplain

Does anyone else find this release hillarious? (like stepping in a pile of poop hilarious, where all you can do is laugh).

GW, it's lackies and their fanboys have gone on and on about being a "model company" first and foremost. They gloat about making models, selling models, with the game only being an add on which isn't prioritized. It's long been the motto - no releases without models, no model no rules.

And then lo and behold, here comes a codex of one of the most popular armies, and instead of building hype it's a complete surprise out of left field. Instead of releasing new models everyone wants to buy they just rebox the old ones. Instead of coming up with new units or rules it's the same deck of cards just reshuffled.

Watching this corporation is like watching a drunk, alcoholic friend wander around trying to get laid at parties. Sure, he gets lucky sometimes, others he is laying in piles of his own puke, but in the end he is just f---- up his own life and killing himself slowly.

I'm not being fooled again. I'm through buying these college text books from a company that can't even be arsed to advertise it's self out of the pompous belief that they don't need it.
    Where is my tinfoil hat!??
    Aka Arcane, veteran GW-Conspiracy Theorist

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast