BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

so you're cool with the fact that the collective human empire builds space ships that dwarf continents and contain munitions to completely eradicate all life on a planet. They then fly these through a realm of nightmare made real to cross the galaxy. Upon reaching their destination, they shoot giant space-bullets at the ground. These space bullets impact the earth and disgorge their contents - genetically enhanced super-soldiers, wearing high-tech battle armor equipped with all sorts of neat target-finders, sensors and communications devices. These warriors un-sling their armaments - veritable cannons that fire rounds so large they can punch through battle-tank armor - and then charge headlong into the enemy, where they can punch them in the face repeatedly with oversized, glowing gloves?

You're cool with that, but the fact that the assault cannon's ammunition hopper is a bit small breaks your suspension of disbelief?

=)

naw, this is the same as "how does a space marine actually fit in his armor?" or "how would a Cadian fit inside a suit of space marine armor?" or "how do 10 space marines fit inside a rhino?" or "how is a tervigon able to gestate & hatch potentially 105 gants in a mater of minutes?", etc.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    So 40K is built on over the top imagery, and I can accept most of it as just that. But the one thing that totally stops me from suspending my disbelief?

Any time a gun with gatling barrels is on a model without a significant ammunition container.

Seriously, this is the size of a typical assault cannon ammo box:

This just came up with my Truscale Bjorn model. I hadn't even thought about it but now I'm mapping a way to rework the model to have a serious ammo hopper.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

so you're cool with the fact that the collective human empire builds space ships that dwarf continents and contain munitions to completely eradicate all life on a planet. They then fly these through a realm of nightmare made real to cross the galaxy. Upon reaching their destination, they shoot giant space-bullets at the ground. These space bullets impact the earth and disgorge their contents - genetically enhanced super-soldiers, wearing high-tech battle armor equipped with all sorts of neat target-finders, sensors and communications devices. These warriors un-sling their armaments - veritable cannons that fire rounds so large they can punch through battle-tank armor - and then charge headlong into the enemy, where they can punch them in the face repeatedly with oversized, glowing gloves?
    OF COURSE I AM THAT'S ALL PERFECTLY FINE, IS UTTERLY JUSTIFIABLE BASED ON REAL WORLD TECHNOLOGY AND MAKES COMPLETE AND TOTAL SENSE. I HAVE LITERALLY NO IDEA HOW ANYONE COULD POSSIBLY FAIL TO FIND ANY OF THESE THINGS CONVINCING OR BELIVABLE IN ANY WAY.

You're cool with that, but the fact that the assault cannon's ammunition hopper is a bit small breaks your suspension of disbelief?
    THAT WAS THE GIST OF MY ARGUMENT, YES.

It's just silly is what I'm saying. No one could believe it. It stretches credibility.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

I think everyone has a niggle that can interrupt a good universe they're interested in. For example, I used to love Harry Potter until I thought about how the wizards withhold magic and all the benefits it can bring from humanity at large, and slowly began to hate them as a result.

There's a lot of things I think are pretty dumb in 40K, but I simply ignore them and appreciate that they draw others in. I think I have the strangest love-hate relationship with GW vehicles. Vehicles like the Valkyrie, Storm Talon and Leman Russ look excellent, proportion and aerodynamics be damned! However, I just really dislike the box-on-wheels/wings look that Space Marines roll with. It always feels a little hypocritical that I point out how damn silly the Storm Raven looks while my 30-foot high mech suit jetpacks around the battlefield.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Yes but maybe it fires the whole bullet, that's 65% more bullet.

Well don't forget they were designed in the UK and heating tea has been an important part of the British Army's kit since we had access to tea.
    True, I believe it's the Challenger tank the British made that actually has a water heater in the turret so the crew can brew tea without leaving the tank.

Then again, we in the US Army pioneered the idea of cooking food and brewing coffee with C4 explosive I guess I can't say too much about it.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by clever handle View Post

=)

naw, this is the same as "how does a space marine actually fit in his armor?" or "how would a Cadian fit inside a suit of space marine armor?" or "how do 10 space marines fit inside a rhino?" or "how is a tervigon able to gestate & hatch potentially 105 gants in a mater of minutes?", etc.
    Yup.

All of those things are explained in-universe. The warp is a parallel dimension that doesn't abide by the laws of our universe, anything can happen.

The assault cannon and various other things are supposed to work mechanically but obviously don't.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    You worry about ammo when the barrels don't actually line up with the firing chamber?
    Oh damn, now I can't not-see that! Now it really looks like it would just sit there and wirr.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    How does a Russ Demolisher even work? That's another biggie, that turret is tiny for such a large round. Not to mention the Punisher, though it is said that gunners using it only fire it in minute bursts and gut the tank out to pack spare ammo in.

Hell, even the numble Bolt Pistol makes no sense.
    I don't worry about that quite as much as how a Bolt Pistol with a huge magazine in front of the trigger can fit into those tiny normal looking holsters the Marines have.

I don't worry about that quite as much as how a Bolt Pistol with a huge magazine in front of the trigger can fit into those tiny normal looking holsters the Marines have.
    I rather assumed the holster-type bolt pistol was more of an emergency back-up weapon (maybe a 5 shot internal magazine?) as opposed to the "I actually intend to use this" pistols the Assault Marines get.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Occuli Imperator

Then again, we in the US Army pioneered the idea of cooking food and brewing coffee with C4 explosive I guess I can't say too much about it.
    Coffee, how positively barbaric...

Crews will always exploit any heat source for their own requirements, back in steam locomotives it was not uncommon to have two shovels. One for coal, the other for bacon, eggs, sausages etc. and a tin kettle full of water etc.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast