BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GW Spray Gun

Default GW Spray Gun

I'm thinking about trying out the GW spray gun. I'd like some advice on how to use it and what people who have used it thought of it.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm gonna get a spraygun for my nids army-makes big hordes quick

Veteran-Sergeant

I love mine. It makes short work base coating vehicles and terrain. With a little practice you can also use it to apply camo to vehicles. I did do away with the need for the canned air however, I found an inexpensive ($35.00) air compressor at Harbor Freight Tools (a large discount/cheap tool retailer) works great.

Chaplain

yeah for me when it works it's great, but i'll spend half a can of propellent then it's useless bc there's not enough pressure. and that propellent is mad expensive. so if you can find another alternative. go for it. As for quality, the coat it lays down is nice. great for basing and i've heard washing but haven't tried the later yet. By it self it can be a headache with the propellent cans. But when it works it speeds things up wonderfully.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Veteran-Sergeant

I would definitely recommend looking at compressors if you're going to get one, I'm still on the canned air, and it's useless! Though that may just be how long it takes me to get the output how I want it.

Other than that, great for tanks, not tried on infantry yet, great for camo as well, and for some nice effects if you use less paint so you don't get a full cover. Similar to drybrushing, in a very loose sense! But that takes some practice and some setting up.
    +++The Imperator Contego Indomitable Fortress+++
    +++The 23rd Joint Assault Group+++

Spend a Little Money and Get a Real Airbrush they are more effective and NOT that much More

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    Spend a Little Money and Get a Real Airbrush they are more effective and NOT that much More
    I gotta agree with this one - a real airbrush and a compressor (also get a regulator and vapour trap, they help). You'll find it much more usable and versatile. Definitely worth the extra money. And when you get mad skillz you can paint flaming skulls on everything. Or not.

Veteran-Sergeant

Default don't waste your time

I can tell you from my own experience.

If you do decide to get GW's spraygun, or an actual airbrush, then get yourself a compressor at the same time.

I found it to be a near complete waste of my time and energy trying to spray more than a squad at a time using air canisters. And I was using 3 large ones at a time.

Drove me nuts as you only get a short window to spray with with each canister.

Then I scored an air compressor online and life was awesome.

I would/will never go back to trying to use compressed air cans for the spraygun. Just too frustrating and annoying.

BTW - I'm no professional airbrush painter, but I'm very happy with my GW spraygun.

I only really use it to basecoat armies and not for fine detail work.

Chaplain

I have to agree with the guys above and say buy a real airbrush and compressor. TCP global is a decent internet seller. Get one that has .50 mm nozzle to start with. Since you are just starting, it will be great for tanks and camo and all that jazz. It will also be much more forgiving when it comes to paint. Use good paint though....you can have a 500 dollar airbrush and if you use cheap paint....it will clog. GW, Reaper, and Vallejo all spray well. When you get better and want a bit more precision...just order up a smaller nozzle and needle for your brush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast