BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 155 of 276 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2758
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    So what you're saying is you have nothing to add, but we should listen to what you have to say anyway?

No. Nowhere is that implied or specified.

'Wench'? Classy. Why not just call her a whore and be done with it? I mean, how dare they want to just dress as their favourite characters, right? How dare they have the audacity to like something you've never heard of?

Wench is a serving girl. Whore is a person you pay for sex. They are 2 different things. If I had meant whore I would have said whore. And nowhere have I castigated anyone for liking something I've never heard of either. Your burning desire to have something to take offence to is a self-licking lollipop.

You know, the ignorance you wear like a blanket is not a virtue.

Oh really?

Nor is belittling others for a perceived lack of artistry; the 'wistful'/'coy' looks are as much a part of the characters as the 'I'm doing a painful s***' grimace' that every bellend cosplaying as Wolverine pulls.
    'I'm doing a painful s*** grimace'? You are quite amusing when you try York. Is it day 1 of term tomorrow or has someone wee'd on your chips?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Learnin' dem english [url]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wench[/url]

Chapter-Master

Hmm yeah:

[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench?s=t"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench?s=t[/URL]

In addition to your definition 1b being 'a female servant' this link says British definitions and wench as prostitute is archaic - which means out of use round our ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Hmm yeah:

[URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench?s=t"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench?s=t[/URL]

In addition to your definition 1b being 'a female servant' this link says British definitions and wench as prostitute is archaic - which means out of use round our ways.
    Oh, that makes it all fine then.

Except that unlike gay or f*ggot, it hasn't had it's use in modern nomenclature replaced with a different meaning, it was merely abandoned. Ergo, it still means prostitute as a secondary meaning, because the primary meaning is as archaic and unused.

Unless you're suggesting you refer to every waitress and barmaid as "wench" when you're out and about?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Banned

*wistful_stare.jpg*

I'm sure any of these cosplayers would love to hear that there was no effort involved in making their costumes (and that in that video the only consideration for women is being sexy >_>), because no matter how you define "wench" your comment comes off as incredibly dismissive and condescending in a "stupid girls liking things that aren't sexy or in my personal sphere of interest" kind of way :/

(Also referring to women as "serving girls" is still incredibly insulting as you're saying they should be servants by virtue of being women)

Chapter-Master

Lots of good wistful stares there Gotty. I will concede fully that these cosplayers made more than no effort. Some closer to none than others - finding red cons and a replica t-shirt before, or the one in a school blazer with a blue ribbon, took far less effort than this:

The relative 'sexiness' of the costumes is irrelevant. Nowhere have I mentioned sexiness. Yes the video mentioned sexiness. I'm sorry you think I co-opted Ms Cuoco, several cosplayers and youtube just to tell you all cosplaying should be sexy but regrettably I don't have that pull. A strong, successful woman did that all on her own.

As to not being in my personal sphere of interest I wouldn't have been browsing this thread if I wasn't interested to some degree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troop1l.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	12167  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Lots of good wistful stares there Gotty. I will concede fully that these cosplayers made more than no effort. Some closer to none than others - finding red cons and a replica t-shirt before, or the one in a school blazer with a blue ribbon, took far less effort than this:
    You left out painting herself grey. And being Stormtrooper is [URL="http://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/"]actually almost no effort at all[/URL].

As to not being in my personal sphere of interest I wouldn't have been browsing this thread if I wasn't interested to some degree.
    My point was that regardless of your interest in cosplay saying "What's wrong with cosplaying something that takes a trifle of effort like a power armoured looney or a death star gunner?" is incredibly condescending, dismissive insulting and comes off sounding like if you see a "random wench in furs or a robe" that you think they have put no effort in (and I already covered how calling women wenches is insulting regardless of meaning). Given how much effort people take in designing, assembling, sewing and crafting for their costumes it's not only wrong it's incredibly rude.
    And following that up with a video that's message is hey girls don't all dress as Leia there are other sexy costumes instead (which is a sh*tty message even if a successful woman's saying it!) it makes it seem like you're only interested in certain things (armoured dudes + sexy ladies) and being really patronising to the rest.

Also:

Lovely.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

At what point does fancy dress become cosplay?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    At what point does fancy dress become cosplay?

That would be an ecumenical matter.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!