BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Man, I thought that strike stuff had been resolved already. That's been delaying stuff for months. Especially stuff from Fantasy Flight.

Brother-Captain

OK, I knew about books and things like Skullmane, didn't even think it would be the books that were the problem, I don't focus on much other than the models these days. Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

John M>

What happened to the pride and joy of everything being made in Nottingham? When did production go to China? My oh my, I guess pride takes a seat back to profit every time.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Books left the UK ages ago, because printing is cheaper elsewhere.

Vast majority of stuff is made in Nottingham still.

As for profits, anyone would think they're a company like any other.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Books left the UK ages ago, because printing is cheaper elsewhere.
    Forgot about that. Haven't bought a GW book in a very long time. Just too expensive to keep buying a lot of 40K books. I just buy what I collect.

Vast majority of stuff is made in Nottingham still.
    I guess with you statement below, for how long? If it's feasible for China to make books, wouldn't it make more sense for China to produce the plastic minis as well now?

As for profits, anyone would think they're a company like any other.
    Just because a lot of other companies do that, doesn't mean GW have to follow suit. I remember when GW use to be so prideful of that statement "EVERYTHING made home."

No wonder GW is a shell of what it once was.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

The printing is marginally cheaper in China than the US, but not by that much, ESPECIALLY when you factor in shipping.

Given the markup on the books the difference between printing in the US vs China is only about the difference between $3.25 and $4.00 a book. Given the retail price is $50, the difference of 75˘ is negligible. But hey, gotta maximize profit; f*ck everyone else!

Well considering GW is selling what only 1000 books at a time that is what $750 savings. GW tactics really mind boggle me at times.

Well that is the savings are really 75 cents.

First-Captain

The differences are likely a lot more on short print runs, you have to print large volumes before savings kick in. Printing books in china is one thing, the manufacture of miniatures is another story, its a highly skilled job and requires hands on knowledge and experience, look at the trouble Mantic have been having with their plastics from China, took 3 moulds to get one sprue done right.

Who said they only sell 1,000 copies at a time?

If it's a Ltd Ed codex or army book type thing, sure, because that's how many they get printed (numbers do of course vary - Harlequins got a run of 900).

But in general? Where are you getting that figure from?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Yeah, GW sell hundreds of thousands of books a year, at which point even $0.75 savings are attractive, again though, thats likely an utterly made up figure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast