BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First-Captain

Since when did everyone agree that warmahordes has better rules? I've only played a few times but it was pretty boring/bland

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Since when did everyone agree that warmahordes has better rules? I've only played a few times but it was pretty boring/bland
    Since DrBored became DrStoned.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Warmachine always felt like I was playing a set of rules instead of a game.

In 40k I feel like I understand how a ork has extra attacks because he's dumb, angry and likes to chop things. In Warmahorades, I feel like I'm micro-managing numbers to make sure that a figure is close enough to another model to maintain game mechanics - for reasons of game mechanics.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

First-Captain

But hey, rules obsesses weirdos say it's got a better system and even though the models are ****e, it's still overtaken 40k, because rules are what matters most for a tabletop game, right?

Forget Warmahorde rules. Use Lord of the Ring/The Hobbit rules. I started using those rules for 40K and it got my son interested in playing 40K again. Want a great rules set. Use LotR. Works great for 40K.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

To some people, indeed - rules are what matter most. Those type of players will unsurprisingly play games where the rules matter most as well.

They are often just as happy to play with wooden pogs or cardboard cut outs so long as the rules are good to them.

My main criticism of Warmahordes is the Feat Mechanic.

If you can pull off your Feat, you pretty much win the game. If you botch it, you're stuffed.

I found it made every game quite predictable, particularly as each Warcaster has a single, set Feat. Now, if they had three open to them, but still only able to perform one per game - that might shake things up. Strategy games should have an element of guessing involved. Magic The Gathering has that - I can't see your cards and have no idea what's in your deck, let alone how you might combine that. GW has that thanks to scenarios and different disciplines of Magic/Psychics keeping your opponent guessing.

Warmahordes? None of it. You can take one look at the Warcaster, know which Feat they'll be trying, and at the rest of the tiny forces, and spot exactly how they hope to do it.

Fun for some, and I'm not saying it's flawed - but not for I, ta.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

I like both these game systems, but seeing as Ive been with the 40k system for whats coming up on two decades now I cant say ide want to switch and use the WaHo rules for 40k.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    To some people, indeed - rules are what matter most. Those type of players will unsurprisingly play games where the rules matter most as well.

They are often just as happy to play with wooden pogs or cardboard cut outs so long as the rules are good to them.
    Damn straight.
    Last edited by Cutter; 03-10-2015 at 07:59 AM.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post

This does not accurately describe the Warmachine/Hordes players that I know. Most of them would argue that the Privateer Press minis are better than the GW ones (and it's not like they don't make any good points).

And let's be honest, we can find some excellent minis in both ranges, and we can find some true stinkers in both ranges (GW has come out with some poor ones recently, but they do still have some minis that I first disliked twenty years ago).

But WarmaHordes definitely has some really cool minis that are loads of fun to paint (I'm particularly fond of the sculpts by Jason Hendricks, Felix Paniagua and Werner Klocke).
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 03-10-2015 at 08:41 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast