BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How thin....

Chapter-Master

Default How thin....

Is the straight line for JOTWW?

Because if too thin this will actualy be quite ineffectual unless you enfilade like a good'un and the enemy is a weakling...

Discuss.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Battle-Brother

It should be a "line", and therefore it should not have any relevant thickness at all. People I game with just use the side of their ruler/yard stick.

Brother-Sergeant

The FAQ says that the line should be a "hairline". I've always just turned the ruler on the side and used that to gauge what models have to take tests.

The FAQ also says they just turn the tape measure on it's side. This is the simplest way....plus it is covered in the FAQ. Nuff said!
    Last edited by Ymir; 01-16-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Is the straight line for JOTWW?

Because if too thin this will actualy be quite ineffectual unless you enfilade like a good'un and the enemy is a weakling...
    Seriously?

Discuss.
    No, not really.

Even before the SW FAQ that gives you what a 'line' is, you already knew what a line is.

This has got to be one of the flat out stupidest 'rule' question I have EVER heard in my 22 years of 40k gaming.

Yeah, I sound like a prick in this post. Good.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    DAMN YOU . Buffo you prick.... oh by the way you are also 100% correct...heh

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Seriously?

No, not really.

Even before the SW FAQ that gives you what a 'line' is, you already knew what a line is.

This has got to be one of the flat out stupidest 'rule' question I have EVER heard in my 22 years of 40k gaming.

This has got to be one of the flat out most accurate self assessments I have EVER heard in my 20 years of 40K gaming.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    This has got to be one of the flat out most accurate self assessments I have EVER heard in my 20 years of 40K gaming.
    Thank you
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

But seriously, I didn't explain - I know what a line is. I know what a straight line is. However, the best example of what I mean is if I turn on microsoft powerpoint and draw a straight line, I can have it between 0.25 point and at least 15 point. The latter if used to measure would give me more potential hits.

Why could the line not have a width of the base of the model? If I remember there was a template for a wierdboy attack from the old 'Ere we go (RT) which was described as a straight line but was base-width.

I didn't clock this on the Faq as I was too interested in Wolf Guards/Scouts both 'BEL-ing' etc - so didin't clock the tape measure on one side piece.

The comments about enfilade are due to the fact that any player worth his salt who has acquainted himself with this power, is not going to parade on his troops in neat lines for maximum effect... So Im not sure the maths hammer makes JOTWW a better choice power for potential cas against some of the other Assault d6 or 3d6 powers - and starting to think maybe Njal is too expensive.

Yeah, but PowerPoint doesn't draw lines. It draws very long, skinny rectangles. A "line," without any other descriptors, doesn't exist in enough dimensions to have a width.

Which means you're quite correct that JotWW will not hit many models in most circumstances. The advantage Jaws has over some of the other powers is that you can use it to snipe individual models (because you're removing specific models from play, not allocating wounds), and against some targets its kill math is better than a shooting attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast