BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

ugh, I still have nightmares about facing off against a wedge with R2-D2 right out of the box, he would get my TIE-Fighters every time.

I have been spending my GW monies on X-Wing too, I have way more friends that are receptive to playing this type of game over a GW, its way more affordable, and no need for all the paint and terrain. Plus whens the last time you played 40K and didn't spend a significant amount of time page flipping to clarify rules?

X-Wing is simple enough to get into, but challenging enough to keep you into it. With each new wave of models the game changes, hell no one runs blocks of six TIE-Fighters anymore, we have Echo!

Yeah and I can't wait to try out the ScumHWK! With a turret on it you should be able to make use of their unique actions and still get a shot off, pew pew!

Got in my ships today. So my next question is: Transport? Any recommendations?

I have a Plano case that was going to be used for HO slot cars (still had some in it, not sure if they work), but it's a bit larger than I think I'd need considering so far I have eight ships, eleven if you count the starter set (two of them being slightly larger, with Slave 1 and IG-2000).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I see how many options it has to play with. Like I said, just eight ships, but a nice stack of ship cards and lots of add-on cards. I'll have to spend some serious time looking through them all to figure out some good options.

Iron Father

I really like the Plano cases, I have a couple. One big one for everything and a smaller one for going out and aboot (I'm in Canada now).
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

The one I'm using "folds" in, and when you open the top you can pull out three stacked trays to either side, with an area under them. Seems to fit the smaller ships fine, but Slave 1 and IG-2000 might not fit in the bottom. Not sure yet. I think a slightly smaller one would work for now. I'll probably want one with room for some foam to hold them later, because I think after I get more ships, I'll repaint some to do my own "fleet" of rapscallions and vandals.

I was just flipping through the ships I have and all the upgrade cards from the various packs and boxes, threw together my first "S&G" 100 point list:

Kavil (Y-Wing)
    Unhinged Astromech
    Autoblaster Turret
    Bomb Loadout -> Proximity Mines

IG-88C (Aggressor)
    Autothrusters
    Ion Cannon
    "Hot Shot" Blaster
    Veteran Instincts

N'dru Suhlak (Z-95)
    Homing Missiles
    "Hot Shot" Blaster

Kavil's ability gives him +1 attack die if firing outside his arc, and the autoblaster turret is specifically designed to do that, so most of the time he'll have 3 attack dice and the opposing ship can't cancel normal damage results (but can cancel critical hits, meh). The Unhinged Astromech also lets him perform some of the faster maneuvers as green, so he'll probably be flying around quickly a lot, and I might use a Koiogran turn to flip him when needed and then remove the stress in the next turn with a long sweeping turn. I had some leftover points and that's where the bomb comes in, but it'd funny to drop that if anyone gets too close.

IG-88 has some decent defense, especially with Autothrusters. The "Hot Shot" Blaster will let him get in a solid shot if he ends up zipping past anyone (or they get behind him). An ion cannon should harm an opposing ship's ability to get around quickly, too. The Veteran Instincts was just a point to burn but also means all three pilots are 7+ skill, which is pretty handy given that Scum go *after* Imperials and Rebels when tied, so a higher skill is handy.

N'dru is pretty cheap, and he can do some serious damage up close (+1 die if no other friendly ships in Range 1-2, so he gets 3 dice normally). He can also throw out 3 (or 4) with the "Hot Shot" Blaster and do some nice damage to a pursuing ship. If someone gets in a position for him to get a target lock on them, he's got Homing Missiles, with evade tokens doing nothing for them, and that 4 dice could go up to 5 attack dice if his ability kicks in.

So the basic plan is to fly around like madmen, hit the enemy hard if they get close, run circles around them, use the bomb to try to redirect them, and have N'dru just be an annoying PITA until they deal with him (which might be a while, because the other ships are heavier and scarier, right up until someone's got 5 attack dice coming at them with no evade tokens to use).

It might not work, but it'll be a heck of a lot of fun to try out!

Transport wise, currently using my GW Tool Kit plastic case.

Most ships sit in one of the slots just fine, and the three large ones work for the large ships. Bottom tray is removed to keep all the (many, many) tokens and cards I have accrued...

It's now too small! Hoping the new GW case style, which I'm getting anyway, will suffice.

Got no real issue with Battlefoam, but no need for custom stuff (which I'd likely only mess up at the design stage) if off the shelf will work for me.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

So far my only concern is maybe IG-2000, and perhaps the TIE fighters. The other ships are all pretty sturdy, not really any thin points. Hmm... okay, maybe the Starviper.

I was thinking the new GW cases might be good (for ships, anyway... templates and stuff, especially tokens, would need a small side case), but I'd want to buy that from the local GW store (to make sure the money flows through there to keep it open), and it just seems like it'd be awkward to say, "Yeah, I'm, uh, buying a GW case for non-GW games that I'm going to play more." He'd probably understand, considering how much I've dropped in that store.

I did notice there's plenty of tokens and cards. I do like getting extra tokens with each purchase, so you should always have plenty, and all those cards for options (different pilots or upgrades) give the game a lot of variety, but that'll be the trickiest stuff to transport. And we're well past "throw everything in Ziploc bags, that'll work" (pretty much what we did in 40K 2nd edition, except for the cards we had card cases, and come to think of it, I think those started getting used for counters, too).

Veteran-Sergeant

On the Tale of Gamers thread there is much talk of storage cases, gotta admit I Plano, but I don't transport my minis, just organize the components for peace of mind.

I have a friend (Lets call him the guy with his own miniatures) and he just magnetized the base (underneath you have enough room) and brings them over on a cookie sheet.

Veteran-Sergeant

Hey just found this if it helps.
    [URL="http://us.battlefoam.com/star-wars-game-with-wave-4-foam-kit-for-the-p-a-c-k-216-bfl/"]http://us.battlefoam.com/star-wars-game-with-wave-4-foam-kit-for-the-p-a-c-k-216-bfl/[/URL]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12