BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 54 of 101 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Yes, 40k doesn't do the whole small point game all that well, but look at the market for games that have less than 20 figures (and I mean infantry figures) per side. That's a packed market. The whole 50 - 100 models per side market isn't nearly as packed. Its give and take, it can't just dominate everything in the sci-fi wargame any more so they're securing their niche but that niche has a higher cost to break into. It isn't ideal but c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting that for a model company they sure are releasing a lot of rules.
    Makes sense to me. They need the game to sell the models. They admit as much on their investor website. It doesn't take much investment to make a book like the Daemonkin book, which can get them more money on its own, but might also prompt more people to buy Chaos stuff in 40K.

Similarly, by tweaking rules here and there, they can subtly push people to buy new stuff for an army they already have. Not just the obvious stuff with the formations, but also by nerfing one unit and making another better. Sure, it seems like it's balance tweaking, but it also does a nice job of selling stuff that might not have been moving well, as you can see with some of the comments on this topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Yes, 40k doesn't do the whole small point game all that well, but look at the market for games that have less than 20 figures (and I mean infantry figures) per side. That's a packed market. The whole 50 - 100 models per side market isn't nearly as packed. Its give and take, it can't just dominate everything in the sci-fi wargame any more so they're securing their niche but that niche has a higher cost to break into. It isn't ideal but c'est la vie.
    40K used to work at a smaller scale. They can actually compete with the other games pretty easily. Lower the cost of the core rulebook, and put out another rulebook (maybe two) and army books geared at smaller scale with more detailed rules. They get their foot into that part of the market, keep people who already have models hooked, draw in more people, sell their models at the same time, and maybe those people coming to GW for the smaller level game(s) will look at expanding into the bigger one.

Granted, that doesn't cover the 6mm massive battles any more, or the space battles, but eh, they decided those weren't profitable enough and killed them. (R.I.P., Battlefleet Gothic...)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    I can do the 3 aspect warriors and I can do the 1 wraith knight. And that's pretty much it. And I couldn't be happier.
    Happy to say I can field almost everything; only 2 fighters (one of mine, one my wifes) so Crimson death is beyond me. Oh well. To quote R.L. Stevenson "Variety is the spice of battle"

The new bike options both interest and worry me; I like flexibility, and options, but it worries me a little because it could change the flavor of jetbikes a lot; before they had to get in close so worked much like fast cavalry (think Mongol hordes); dash in strike dash out. Now I can visualize them sitting in the backfield, maneuvering for shots, but not really dancing around the enemy as before. It's a valid play style, but it just seems something would be lost; a sense of dash and speed that has always characterized them before. Even Shuriken cannon required closing with the foe. Eh, just an aesthetics thing. maybe I'm wrong and people will play them as before. Maybe they won't and I'll go back to griping about having to Turbo boost uphill, both ways, in the 100 degree knee deep snow....

I am curious about how people see using and equipping them.

On the Wraithknight issue, If it's pointed similar to an Imp. Knight it should be fine; Toughness 8 is roughly comparable to AV 12 in terms of woundability, the knight has a directional shield vs FNP (lets face it, most weapons that will be shooting at a Wraithknight will ignore 3+ armor anyway), and twice the wounds/Hullpoints, so toughness should be fairly comparable. The WK has 2 D shots vs 2 S8 pieplates (going with baseline weapons), so trade direct damage for area affect (1 on 1 the IK will hit more (scatter a pie plate vs a BIG base? yah, not gonna miss much) while the WK will dmg more) Overall, should be functionally similar in ability, I think.
    At least now with Gargantuan there's a reason to fill the 2ndry weapon options on the WK. The suncannon version could be (even more) horrific vs TEQ/MEQ with 2 Starcannon (3 small blast + 4 shots. Ow.)

Yes, it helps them sell models, it also shakes up the meta, and generates a massive amount of excitement. In other words, it is good for them and good for us.

Chapter-Master

I noticed it on Warseer but it came from elsewhere. Try not to scream.

Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

I wonder what head it is they are talking about in the pic? o.O
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Chapter-Master

OMG! Mass access to ranged D weapons and ultra mobile? Does it even matter what they do with the Wave Serpent at this point?
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    I noticed it on Warseer but it came from elsewhere. Try not to scream.

<evil maniacal laughter>
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

And people thought Necron Wraiths went from good to OP...
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    OMG! Mass access to ranged D weapons and ultra mobile? Does it even matter what they do with the Wave Serpent at this point?
    Yes, because I want to field things other than WG all the time in order to play Eldar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    And people thought Necron Wraiths went from good to OP...
    The coup de grace would be if WG got cheaper. I don't see that happening.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 54 of 101 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast