BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Australia says hello.... (If I remember the cross border price disparities properly.)
    Yeah, I feel like it's a "Colonial Tax" overall. There might be some excuse they can claim with Australia, but given that it's ridiculously easy to ship to the US, there's no excuse for that kind of disparity, especially on a new product. I get the sinking feeling that if I looked I'd see more of them, and it'd help explain why people in the UK feel less of a sting paying for GW products. But if I do that, it'll likely end up with me feeling like I don't want to give my money to a company that tells customers to bend over and take it just because they're in the wrong country. I guess ignorance is bliss...

Knock up the UK and Europe price to what America is paying, though, we'll see how much people are okay with the prices.

Chapter-Master

products almost never get priced according to exchange rates. whether it is a knight, a ford mondeo, or a bottle of beer. GW did not invent the concept.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    products almost never get priced according to exchange rates. whether it is a knight, a ford mondeo, or a bottle of beer. GW did not invent the concept.
    Related example: Hasbro take the US price on their products and swap the dollar sign for a pound sign when they sell it in the UK.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Multi Currency can wreak havoc on corporate financials so companies just tend to and price markets very differently. My biggest gripe has always been FW charging me VAT tax when I know they get the % refunded as part of the UK tax settlement process. I guess that free shipping isn't really free! VAT's probably hiding in the translation of the mainline products too just never worried overly much with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Not to mention its AA mounted on a Knight. Good luck getting rid of it in a hurry...
    This really helps address one of the biggest blind spots for the Knight army. Outside of Eldar tanking them Knights are looking way better with this release.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

If I'm not mistaken there was a knight type back in the epic days that did have some version of a volcano cannon, right?

It don't think it would be too game breaking to give a knight a relatively short ranged (24 inches or so) small blast D strength volcano cannon. Would basically make it an upgunned version of a demolisher (with legs.) Could make it two handed to further balance the unit, making it less useful in assault but still dependent on being in close range.

I can't really justify tacking an AA gun on my existing Knight, though. I modeled him with strafing marks on his upper carapace to represent the weakness against aircraft. But maybe the next one, if/when I get one. If the carapace weapons are swappable, that'd be handy (also to make it easier to transport).

Actually, thinking of how I transport my own Knight in pieces... It should be pretty easy to just build the arms as their own pieces, like the current kit can do, and then you can just swap out arms as you want. Sure, it's possible you won't be able to make more than two arms per kit, but if you have even just two kits, you'll have four arms, and might have enough variety to change configurations between battles, especially handy if you can only bring one Knight (or only want to bring one). Not really doable for someone like me (any future Knights I have will be as uniquely modeled as the one I have now), but for people who do their Knights with uniform colors, it's a possibility.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    If I'm not mistaken there was a knight type back in the epic days that did have some version of a volcano cannon, right?

It don't think it would be too game breaking to give a knight a relatively short ranged (24 inches or so) small blast D strength volcano cannon. Would basically make it an upgunned version of a demolisher (with legs.) Could make it two handed to further balance the unit, making it less useful in assault but still dependent on being in close range.
    Honestly even with a 60" range I don't think it would be a huge deal to give them a baby Volcano Cannon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I can't really justify tacking an AA gun on my existing Knight, though. I modeled him with strafing marks on his upper carapace to represent the weakness against aircraft. But maybe the next one, if/when I get one. If the carapace weapons are swappable, that'd be handy (also to make it easier to transport).

Actually, thinking of how I transport my own Knight in pieces... It should be pretty easy to just build the arms as their own pieces, like the current kit can do, and then you can just swap out arms as you want. Sure, it's possible you won't be able to make more than two arms per kit, but if you have even just two kits, you'll have four arms, and might have enough variety to change configurations between battles, especially handy if you can only bring one Knight (or only want to bring one). Not really doable for someone like me (any future Knights I have will be as uniquely modeled as the one I have now), but for people who do their Knights with uniform colors, it's a possibility.
    I'm thinking more about the full 5 Knight armies wanting the AA options. This new release will really fill out the Knight Only list nicely.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

If I had to guess those carapace weapons will slot into that otherwise unused hole in the middle of the Knight's top plate, as it looks like that piece is unchanged from the Paladin/Errant kit. It's almost as if they planned to do something with it later when they made the original design... As for weather it'll be swappable, I guess that all depends on how the other parts of the weapon options connect to the piece that slots in.

For the arms, it's possible to do that, but you can't glue the shoulder pads down either, you'd have to magnetize those or something. There's just barely not enough room to rotate the arms to the position they can be slid off with the plates in place. It's doable though.

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I'm thinking more about the full 5 Knight armies wanting the AA options. This new release will really fill out the Knight Only list nicely.
    Well, it also helps with my "Rogue Trader" army, as I wanted some AA, but didn't want to throw the AA array on an Onager or three, because while it's spectacular against flyers and skimmers, it's meh against everything else. It also helps my other Imperial armies, as I don't have the Space Marine anti-air vehicles yet, or the IG Hydras, so I'm mainly rolling with an Aegis line and flakk missiles for anti-air. And frankly, a Knight with some AA capabilities is more useful to me than buying three AA tanks, as I can use it for other targets, and it's a lot more interesting to build (and cheaper, too).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    For the arms, it's possible to do that, but you can't glue the shoulder pads down either, you'd have to magnetize those or something. There's just barely not enough room to rotate the arms to the position they can be slid off with the plates in place. It's doable though.
    I built my Knight in pieces to make it easier to paint, and it stays in those pieces for transport: Leg assembly; torso with head; arms; shoulder pads. Not magnetized. The shoulder pads do tend to pop off at times after I hit it all with Purity Seal, but I've been given some pointers on how to make it just "sticky" enough to hold on during battle. I definitely recommend building and transporting a Knight in pieces, much fewer headaches.

*Sigh.* Okay, just heard the codex is $41 (okay, fine, old one was that price and this should have more useful stuff), but Knight is $157.

And I might be able to accept the +$20 because they tossed in more stuff and all, and I don't want a whole army so the extra $100 for five Knights isn't that troubling to me. But knowing that the price in Germany translates to $21 LESS than the US price is just, well, quite annoying. On principle I feel like I'd prefer to buy a Knight in a way that doesn't give GW money, but that's not possible. So I might go with an online retailer, which means I have to take business away from a guy I like. But being charged more for the same product just isn't right, especially on that level of difference.

Okay, whatever, rant down... Best thing I can do is actually take the money and spend it with another company (and buy a whole force or two for some other game), but since I'm just one guy, that's not really going to teach them a lesson.
    They're not discontinuing the old box, so if you still want to have one Paladin and one Errant you can still grab the $140 box that's out right now down the road.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast