BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Trouble with these situations is trying to separate dodgy behaviour from sour grapes after the fact.

Though I am a very strong advocate of Organisers not taking part in their event unless it's a pre-arranged scenario game being played for a challenge. Campaign? Run it, don't play it. Tournaments? Run it, don't play it.

I've never seen it turn out very well when they get involved.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Ill give you what I think...

I consider myself to be a competitive player in that I want to win, but at the same time i want to have fun. I own DE, BA, and a troop heavy sisters army...I didnt play when BA was op back in 3rd so I can officially say I dont have any op armies and I dont have the ability to field cheese.

I have only played in 1 tournament since the end of 5th and in that tournament the organizer limited you to 1 cad and you could take 1 formation if you wanted, no super heavies. i knew what I was getting into when I went and that was the kind of game i wanted to play.

I will choose who I want to play against and what kinds of army I want to play against when i am not playing in a tourny because i cant imagine 3 WKs being fun to play against, same with the adamantium lance, same with the loth invisibility bomb. I also dont like playing against players who dont at least have 3 crapily put on colors on their models. if you are at the FLGS and you ask for a game and you have grey models with a new to semi new dex i assume you bought the new hottness...

that being said i have played in tournies and pick up games where I am happy to help you out, remind you if you forgot something, and allow you to fix a mistake so that we both have fun so long as you are not being an @$$hat...last ardboys (5th ed) I played green tide in the 2nd round and i was out of the runnings and had my 3rd game wrapped up...i would win this game on objectives and my opponent knew it, and said i guess you win...and then i told him orks dont hold objectives, orks need to waagh!!! I lost the game to have fun (i knew I had won, he knew it so why sit there and not have fun)

In the end there will always be whiners, and in the end there will be people that think im whining about WKs or the Craftworld cheddar book (I am) but thats the way it is. you can be competitive and not a WAAC Douche...In the end this is a game and you need to have fun playing it despite what GW is doing to ruin it...

First-Captain

Anything with custom rules has to have an implicit level of trust in the organizer, if you don't have that, you get complaints, you have to make sure the rest of the community doesn't tolerate that, get your friends to challenge the problematic behaviour and refuse to play troublesome people until they redress their attitude.

And if you think your Codex was faulty, call up GW Customer Service and let them know, they'll fix it.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    I did call out the worst comment on the chat, but not sure what happened afterward (I was told he apologized for his comment), because I dropped from it. There were some other things that were bugging me, but those aren't really relevant here, and I took them up with the appropriate party so he knew my concerns.
    Sounds like you did all that was reasonable.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

First-Captain

Even the most critical hobbyist would be hard pressed to say GWs customer service was anything but stellar
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 06-17-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Even the most critical hobbyist would be hard pressed to say GWs customer service was anything but stellar
    I've had mixed experiences with it. On the one hand, they replaced my mismoulded Dreadnought with no fuss and when the replacement turned out to be mismoulded in the exact same way, asked me to name a kit up to £30 and sent that to me free.

On the other hand, I've repeatedly had to remind them about a query with a missing page in the Small Format Tau Codex that I raised in April and still has yet to be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Though I am a very strong advocate of Organisers not taking part in their event unless it's a pre-arranged scenario game being played for a challenge. Campaign? Run it, don't play it. Tournaments? Run it, don't play it.
    That's what this T.O. tries to do, but with people sometimes dropping out at the last second, you might get an odd number of players, and that's a mess. So he'll have an extra army on hand and play without scoring himself. And if his army is similar to what I faced last year, it's not that bad. The likely issue is that the guy throwing out the complaint likely brought his Harlequin/Craftworld mash-up based on small tooled-up units and characters in vehicles relying on tricks to win combats, and that's not something that can win an objective-based scenario. Rather than say "I screwed up," he lashed out at the T.O.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, sometimes tourney rules can matter, so for anyone wondering, these were the rules listed for this tourney:

To participate you will need to bring a 1,850 point force with the following parameters:
    Battleforged.
    Proxy/substitute models not allowed.
    Painting is optional.
    40K Approved Forgeworld units allowed.
    Must have official rules for all units (digital copy acceptable).
    Your army list must be on paper with all options and point cost listed
    That's it. 1850, Battle-forged, have to have the rules, can even use FW stuff. No restrictions on detachments, formations, anything.

Those of us who know the T.O. know he likes to run narrative missions with objectives (and so do a couple other T.O.'s who tend to run the local convention tourneys). It mixes things up, means you can't just wreck your opponent, you actually have to have a force that can react and do different things. Some armies can be really brutal and still good with objectives, i.e. a drop-pod Marine army (even more so now) or a mobile Eldar force. But when you start limiting the number of models you have, for example, things start getting tougher, so an army of just Knights might not handle it as well, and an army with an Adamantium Lance and Thunderwolf Death Star will have some problems claiming all the battle points, as that's typically run as two units (they can wreck an army, but not hold objectives all over the board).

It's possible, to be fair, that some people were just caught off-guard by a tournament not being about just beating the other person's collection of miniatures in a cage match? I don't really do tournaments outside the local scene, so I'm not sure what the "usual" tournament does.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Fueldrop View Post
    If you insist on being a "Beat-Face"...

1) Have an Ork Warboss.
    2) Name him "Boss Beatface"
    3) ???
    4) Profit!
    YES. Morning laugh successful.

Chapter-Master

Reason #586 why "competitive" plastic dolls is the most moronic, stupid, inane, fruitless thing ever.

Just go play games and worry less about keeping track of who wins and more about how much fun you're having not being in your office or on the job site. Once this is achieved, all the artificially created drama surrounding your beloved plastic dolls seems to never happen.

I swear that our society has grown so complacent, so comfortable in our own existence - no need for day to day struggles to stay alive and exist - that we go out and willingly look for things that give us trouble and cause us hardship. For something that is supposed to be fun, escapist, and relaxing, the tournament scene almost universally turns it into a miserable experience.

Congrats idiots.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

that we go out and willingly look for things that give us trouble and cause us hardship.
    Like having to read your personal opinion presented as a fact with the added value of insulting as many people possible.

I can understand your "no sports and no competition for me attitude" but blaming people for having fun doing this is moronic.
    Last edited by Wolfshade; 06-17-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast