BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

And there we see the tactical depth of the game.

It's a very different set of considerations. And like LotR, you can go one on one, or work in your own favoured formations.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    the only minor issue that I had was the fact that combatants do not strike simultainiously, players take it in turns to activate a unit starting with the payer who's turn it is. so if you have 2x combats (each army has 1 unt in each) player 1 can activate a unit to attack (in combat #1). then player 2 chooses a unit, in which case it is often better to choose the unit that has not been hit (e.g. in combat #2), player 1 then activates his unit in combat #2, and finally player 2 activates his unit in combat #1.
    Good to note thanks for the clarification.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I agree with Path Walker on this one.

Warhammer started off as a set of rules so you could play battles with your collection of random models.

Ever since then, GW have always said 'hey, they're just a framework - a base line. You guy do what you want them, that's the point'.

AoS has embodied that in particular.

And seriously, we get you don't favour the new game, any why. And that's cool. Not every game will be a given person's cup of tea. But it's here now, and it's not going anywhere. So just chill and either do your best to enjoy, or take up a new game.
    Have to agree and disagree to a point here. Agree that GW has always had the open rules mentality for most everything. Which is easy to use with mates as a small circle of friends can, and will, adapt any set of rules to meet their needs as a group. However GW has also had an event mindset in the past, easiest place I can think of to to see this in the big guy Jervis Johnson's designer notes in Epic Armageddon where he discusses the difference between tournament (event) play and casual (basement) play, along with the different needs of both situations. By nature, event play has to limit options, weird abilities and randomness in order to provide some semblance of equivalency that allows complete strangers to get in a game. Eliminating that setting limits a games ability to flourish outside of the basement setting. It's cool if that's the intent, but it is a deviation from GW's former stance on gaming in general.

As to the battle report. AoS is a simple enough system that it isn't going to be overly difficult for enterprising gamers to create an after market balancing system to address the needs of event play... assuming event play is ever a thing with this system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gold View Post
    the only minor issue that I had was the fact that combatants do not strike simultainiously, players take it in turns to activate a unit starting with the payer who's turn it is. so if you have 2x combats (each army has 1 unt in each) player 1 can activate a unit to attack (in combat #1). then player 2 chooses a unit, in which case it is often better to choose the unit that has not been hit (e.g. in combat #2), player 1 then activates his unit in combat #2, and finally player 2 activates his unit in combat #1.
    Indeed. This creates a semblance of target priority and does force players to make decisions on what combat is most important to them at the moment. A whole new set of issues arise if you go away from the I go/you go mechanics in a game.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12