BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Are GW the best miniatures company in the world?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

67 48.20%
  • No.

72 51.80%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agramar View Post
    Time ago,maybe.Today...obviously no
    Same here.

The new aethetic since they massively turned to plastic and tried to create new concepts for IP protection sake is absolutely terrible.

The practicality of the big kits is poor concerning the transportation.

The quality of details and carvings of the new plastic kits is poor imho and the increase of the miniatures scale isn't an efficient remedy.

On the good side, the technical aspect of their latest miniatures, how the parts fit, is outstanding, but that's not enough to make them better than the competition.

Many Avatars of war minis have more flavor, same with the latest infinity kits, and many other companies. GW lost its inspiration.

Battle-Brother

GW figures of individual humans and aliens are, on the whole, very good. I don't think they're the best in the industry any more, but they are in the top tier. They're way too expensive, though, and the trend toward single-pose figures is a real step back.

Their larger figures, as many other posters have noted, are lacking in detail and very expensive compared to what other companies produce.

But for me, GW vehicles are the worst of the lot, just brutal. The designs are completely ridiculous, the detail is meager, and there are few (if any) options in the kit. GW's still using many molds that are 10-15 years old (Land Speeder, Rhino, Land Raider). Even their newer kits don't have half the detail or features that have become standard in the plastic kit market (check out a Tamiya tank kit in comparison). And GW vehicle kits are hideously expensive to boot....

Subjectively, yes, GW miniatures are the best in the world to me, because they make me happier, on a whole, than miniatures from any other company. I also spend 10x more on GW miniatures than every other manufacturer put together.

Objectively, "whatever". GW has some of the best tooling on the market for HIPS in that they can put tons of detail onto minis, and they know how to chop a mini into 10 pieces to create lots of awesome negative space and interesting shapes that other companies typically do less well. Does it translate into "better miniatures"? That's just a matter of preference, IMO.

@Brent - I actually love GW vehicles :P Though I would concur that many vehicles are dated, and some newer ones are much fancier than some older ones. Still, even Drop Pods are iconic.

Brother-Captain

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

I voted no but they dont have to be the best cause i buy them for the game/fluff. There are so many options, and particularly when you compare them to non Wargaming models they really aren't that great. Amongst wargaming models they are amongst the best but I wouldn't say the best, especially since the Finecast Fiasco. Maybe I just have bad luck with GW minis. I still buy them though cause I play the game and I am in love with the fluff. However if there was no game nor universe I would go elsewhere for better prices/quality. They are good enough IMO and that is why I buy them.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    it was posted on the frontpage, hence the new traffic
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I always laugh when people say GW vehicle kits are unrealistic/stupid.

Do some research, a lot of them are actually based pretty shamelessly on real vehicles. Hell, even that ugly ol' Taurox is very close to a British vehicle currently deployed in Afghanistan, just with tracks instead of wheels...
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Ironically, Pepsi has never in the history of cocktails, been included as a mixer.

GW isn't the best overall because of price-point and difficulty of assembly. That they have availability and brand recognition in their favor doesn't hurt, but there are cheaper, easier to assemble kits out there, with decent variety and detail.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post

Do some research, a lot of them are actually based pretty shamelessly on real vehicles. Hell, even that ugly ol' Taurox is very close to a British vehicle currently deployed in Afghanistan, just with tracks instead of wheels...
    I would vote the reasons behind this are proportions of many models, from the freakish Imperial Guard (who look like they all abuse steroids when they are suppose to be this force of disposable bodies...), to most of the transports (How am I suppose to fit that many marines in that Rhino?).

GW makes some great models do not get me wrong, but other companies do a better job of delivering better miniatures. What GW miniatures does better than others is allowing more customization options than anyone else, but at a cost... a high cost in many cases. They are also (ignoring Finecast) one of better companies.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post

I always laugh when people make silly points like this

maybe do some research of your own?

Actual vehicle design shows things like the fact that the Leman russ breach doesnt actually fit in the turret, the recoild would blow it off, thunderhawks and storm ravens are un-aerodynamic bricks etc ecte

People are talking about the scale and the discrepancies. I dont really agree that makes the designs bad but Im not going to sit here and pretend those claims aren't accurate or misconstrue them
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast