BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 105 of 236 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2356

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    Disagree CG, huge difference between vaccinations and war. I see what you mean though. As for me, I believe in the "rather have a nuke than be the only one without one." This is the world we live in sadly.
    Obviously. The point wasn't that nukes are like vaccines, the point was that, like vaccines, we've gotten so used to life with them that we've assumed things would continue on exactly the same without them, and thus start trying to get rid of them because of perceived secondary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Having Nuclear Weapons does not prevent Nuclear War. There's plenty countries out there without them, and they've never been Nuked.
    Stopped us being invaded. Eastern Europe and the Middle East? Not so much.

As I said earlier, anyone insane enough to trigger Nuclear War is not going to be put off because they might get nuked in return.
    Most people in the world aren't Saturday Morning Cartoon Villains. If someone can do something without threat of reprisal, they're significantly more likely to do it.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Yes, because the rest of the world will just tut at anyone who uses Nuclear weapons in anger.....

And when were we under threat of invasion exactly?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yes, because the rest of the world will just tut at anyone who uses Nuclear weapons in anger.....

And when were we under threat of invasion exactly?
    The Cold War. Referring to the potential invasion of Europe. Are you just ignoring that whole thing?

Cold War ended some time ago.....so why do we still need Trident, when those who have any beef with the UK at the moment don't actually have Nukes of their own, and no realistic delivery platform for them?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

The same reason you have insurance, just in case.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Well we could ask the Ukraine how getting rid of their Nuclear weapons has gone?

The thing with Nuclear weapons is they do tend to mean that other countries tend to leave you alone to get on with things when you need to. The UK definitely breached the rules of engagement in the Falkland Islands conflict but no one did antmything about it. Just look at ths sh*t Russia and Isreal get away with and Isreal are only rumoured to have nuclear weapons. Yes there are a whole raft of moral arguments against it but it is a nasty world and sometimes you need to do nasty things to counter it.

Would I be right in thinking that we all agree that Anti-vaxxers are down right daft? Could be a first.

Oh and there's Oil very near to the Falkland Islands probably got something to do with it.
    Last edited by grimmas; 08-18-2015 at 03:39 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    The same reason you have insurance, just in case.
    I have car insurance because it's a legal requirement to drive on Her Maj's highways.

- - - Updated - - -

But yes - Anti-Vaxxers are insane.

Chapter-Master

You wouldn't if it wasn't?

Nobody with any sense thinks anti vaxxers are sane.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Currently paying a relatively piffling £30 a month, and given an insurer fights my corner if some idiot crashes into me, and even better, takes financial responsibility if I turn out to the idiot, on that count? Yes.

But it's a pretty poor comparison.

How many countries don't have Nuclear Weapons. How many of those have been invaded recently?

Cold War ended some time ago.....so why do we still need Trident, when those who have any beef with the UK at the moment don't actually have Nukes of their own, and no realistic delivery platform for them?
    I think you might have missed this big country called, "Russia," that has been testing the West by invading parts of Eastern Europe, sending bombers over Western Europe and into our airspace, has more nukes than it can count and so many are unaccounted for. I dunno about you, put Putin isn't the sort of man I would trust to always sue for peace.

- - - Updated - - -

Currently paying a relatively piffling £30 a month, and given an insurer fights my corner if some idiot crashes into me, and even better, takes financial responsibility if I turn out to the idiot, on that count? Yes.

But it's a pretty poor comparison.

How many countries don't have Nuclear Weapons. How many of those have been invaded recently?
    Aghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Vietnam, Iraq again, Ukraine, Cuba, Nicaragua, Sudan, The DRC, Somalia, Korea, etc, etc.

You may be noticing a trend that in Cold War terms, these are referred to as Third World Countries. They're neutral countries that had no nuclear armanent and thus were easily invaded by First/Second World countries who did, because it could occur without a counter-invasion or bombardment.

Yet the countries with nuclear armanent were never themselves invaded. Hence the Proxy Wars.