BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah, i definitely agree on the 'fluff unit' approach- a company/small regiment/warband etc.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I believe the correct answer is "Not enough."

Seriously though, if you're talking about a (real-money-)price-is-no-object, dream project of an army, you don't plan it to points, but to represent an appropriate unit from a fluff perspective?

So, a SM army might be a Battle Company plus supporting units, an Imperial Guard army probably amounts to several companies from a variety of regiments, etc.
    this statement it implies ive somehow gone overboard by making a complete SM and IG company (IG Company being three three sqaud platoons and 3 3-strong tank sqaud) I dont feel that way at all

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    this statement it implies ive somehow gone overboard by making a complete SM and IG company (IG Company being three three sqaud platoons and 3 3-strong tank sqaud) I dont feel that way at all
    I think the difference is a full SM company being 100 Marines + command units OR 100 Marines + command units + enough Rhinos/Razorbacks/Drop pods for every unit and/or Thunderhawk support (possibly including air-lifter Hawks). Which is a bit more. Not unfeasible certainly, but will take a bit longer to reach (especially with the Thunderhawk route).

For me, perfect army doesn't mean overboard army either.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

I come up with right around 5k for a 'Perfect' Necron Army
    Decurion of course
    Includes 2 full Immortal Squads in Nightscythes
    3 warrior squads in Ghost Arks
    2 Max Warrior squads afoot
    A full squad of Lychguard with Swords and Boards
    3x3 Tombblades squads
    2 Monoliths
    Royal Court with Obyeron, Zahndrek, Orikan, and 2 Crypteks
    2 Full Canoptek Harvests (Wraiths, Scarabs and a Spyder)
    1 Minimum Sized Destroyer Cult

Sprinkle in some relics and other wargear and you get 5k. It is the picture of what I see when the Necrons decide to invade. I just wish that the Monolith was a stronger option... auto correct on deep strike would do it.

Brother-Sergeant

With the current 40k lists I think that 3k is the minimum amount for a balanced army so this is what I aim for, though my Word Bearers are substantually more
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Veteran-Sergeant

I prefer 1500 or 1250 points. It removes some of the craziness that the game has become plus it requires you to make some hard decisions about what's in and out rather than just taking all the toys.

And yes I probably have at least 2500 points for each of my main armies, I just prefer smaller games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12