BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by therealjohnny5 View Post
    Lobster, would you be making a single piece then cast it rather than remake it a few gazillion times?
    It depends on the part. The first things I did for my army were just a few conversions by taking existing figures (Warhammer preist, plastic tank commanders from LR kits) and sculpting furry hats and equipment.

For converting my cadians eventually into vostroyans, I am going to build/kitbash/sculpt a vostroyan long lasgun. It will take some work, but once it's done, I'd rather cast it than make two dozen. I could make 3, build a sprue and then cast it a small number of times.

I'm also working on a sprue of heads for easy conversions of other figures.

If it's a part based from readily available pieces, building it is easier, although not as cost effective. I built jump pack wings for my Blood Angels years ago using power armor packs and eldar wings. I had a ton of the parts, so I built 3 dozen sets. But if it was something where I had to sculpt the wings, I would work to sculpt two or three poses and then cast the heck out of them. Saves time and money.

John M.

(I, in no way, condone or support the casting of existing GW parts, as that would be illegal in most places, even if for "personal use". I do support and encourage sculpting and casting your own pieces and parts.)

Chaplain

Yeah i'm trying to figure out if i can take a cadian or something else and GS a coat and gas mask then cast them...the coat is the most challenging i think....i would really like an entire DKK army but thought it may be easier to simply build units of different types...but where's the challenge in that? lol
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Actually surprised no one has yet mentioned the Pig Iron option (Cadian bodies with PI respirator heads such as [url]http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/hd10-kolony-militia-covered-helmet-head-sprues-p-19.html[/url])

Buddy of mine is in the same boat: loves DKK (because he hates to paint faces) but the cost and the wait of a full FW DKK army isn't an option. He's going a combo of Kolony heads and West Wind SHS German heads with gas masks. The ones with field caps are especially nifty.

Try this: [url]http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=126_149[/url]
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Chaplain

bro good looking out. i'll keep those in mind...
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

the Pig Iron Kolony guys look awesome as stand ins for DKK. I use them as my Inq. Stormtroopers. they're only a smidge shorter than a cadian, so scale isn't a big deal at all. Plus, all the 'assembly' is gluing on a head and popping them onto a round base. Done.

Chaplain

what bout gettin the gorgon troop stripps and taking cutters and a file as well as some GS to it???? often thought of it myself

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by archimbald View Post
    what bout gettin the gorgon troop stripps and taking cutters and a file as well as some GS to it???? often thought of it myself
    That's exactly what i've been considering. As far as i can tell looking at them they are perfectly normal full models just in an at ease position. not terribly exciting but way cheaper as for 45 UK you get 40 or so models....not too shabby...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12