BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

I plat tau alot, I find it very helpful to use target priority, kill the Battle Suits first, case closed, Battle Suits crumble on massed firpower or even CC
    Blood Angels: W8 D7 L4
    Skaven: W0 D 1 L0

Quote Originally Posted by Akimbo Lizard View Post
    I plat tau alot, I find it very helpful to use target priority, kill the Battle Suits first, case closed, Battle Suits crumble on massed firpower or even CC
    Yeah, kill the battlesuits first.
    If you have tanks, kill the broadsides first.
    If you don't kill his vehicles first
    If he doesn't have any vehicles, THEN take out the battlesuits. any melta carrying squad will down them easy, and mortar are alright too, as they cause pinning. Suits laying on the ground are easy to ignore or kill at your leisure.
    http://warhammermusings.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Well better advice is find out what his/her army is based on the STRIKE it right in the Achilles Heel, this works for all armies, but does he really take Broadsides in a 550?
    Blood Angels: W8 D7 L4
    Skaven: W0 D 1 L0

Quote Originally Posted by Akimbo Lizard View Post
    Well better advice is find out what his/her army is based on the STRIKE it right in the Achilles Heel, this works for all armies, but does he really take Broadsides in a 550?
    no he hasn't used them yet but he has a pair of them
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

Veteran-Sergeant

This is just my opinion, but I do believe Tau is one of the stronger armies in smaller games. I'm not the best Tau player in the world, and I lose enough to keep my ego in check, but I can not remember the last time I lost in a small points battle.

If he is bringing Vespid, you already have an edge as they are almost worthless againt MEQ, and worse against anything else. Don't worry about them turn one, but take them out (should be easy) turn 2.

No AV13-14 means no Hammerhead, so you are set on that front. Since you have no AV13-14, he shouldn't bring a Broadside. Your biggest worries will be 36" missile pod shots and massed pulse rifle fire. If he brings Pathfinders, take them out first. If they get a few ML shots off the effectiveness of their 30" pulse rifles just increased dramatically. Take out the Fire Warriors next. Suits can be a pain, but have a limited role in taking out light infantry. If he brings a Devilfish (or two) try and get to those on turn 2. He isn't going to be doing anything extreme with them until later in the game anyways.

Remember, take out the troops and you have won 2/3 of the missions.

well early on in the campaign i had a mortar fire at his one fire warroir squad at the time and i took out basically the whole unit less 2 so then what was left of my storm troopers that had out flanked (the codex before the new one) assualted his unit. i did nothing and he killed one guy so they ran like the devil was right behind them but only it was 2 fire warroirs i was like wtf and my freind was laughing his head off

well heres the list that i came up with from what you guys told me and also what i ahve at hand

CCS-50 unit total-140
    autocannon-10
    master of the ordanance-30
    medic-30
    carapace armour-20

troops

veteran squad-70 unit total-232
    bolt pistol-2
    meltagunX2-20
    plasma gun-15
    power weapon-10
    grenadiers-30
    chimera-55
    heavy stubber-10
    dozer blade-10
    extram armour-10
    veteran squad-70 unit total-125
    flamerX3-15
    bolt pistol-2
    power weapon-10
    grenadiers-30
    valkyrie-100 unit total-130
    missle pods-30
    hellhound-130 unit total-130
    total-759

i plan on haveing the CCS sit in a high peice of terrain and bring down the pie of death then run the chimera and devil dog up one side (most likely the side with the battle suits) with them up to the edge devil do on the outside protescting the chimera's side armour of 10 with it's 12 then zip the valk with the flamer vet. squad straight to the fire warroirs and pour out all the fire power i can from the valk have the vet.'s jump out burn whats left then assualt if there are any left then either get them back in and go after the other one or go vespid hunting with the valk like to hear what you guys think on this one guys
    Last edited by sicarius2424; 02-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I'd swap the Devildog for a Helhound and drop the bolter sponsons on the Valk. The DD shots scatter, the HH template just hits. To use the sponsons on the Valk you can't move over 6" (unless you are just going to use one) so they are wasted points imo. Same with the medic in the cmd sqd, I'd use the points to put grenade launchers or better yet plasma guns in the cmd sqd. if you have any.

I realize you have limited options, but you will really need to go out and buy some ARTILLERY.

ONE basilisk can strike battlesuits behind cover even as it remains out of sight (or better yet, out of RANGE). Did I mention S9 doubles them out?

Here's a secret nobody knows about: GRIFFONS. 75 points is so cheap it should be illegal. It ALWAYS sticks its landing (accurate bombardment rule), wounds Firewarriors on 2+ and denies them a save AND it pins at -1 leadership. NEVER forget that rule. You NEED to get one (or better yet, two) of these things ASAP.

One will be dangerous to firewarriors, but 2 will destroy even battlesuits because they'll cause so many wounds.

As for everyone else: load up on autocannons.

ok i'll try to get a chimera and modify it to be a griffion then next been thinking on what to get next any way thanks yeah i saw the 75 point cost but i just never really give artillery a chance but i can see the value in a weapon that can shoot you without you being able to shoot back. and the reason that i gave the CCS the medic was becuase it increased the survivability of the unit being the most important infantry unit out there with only 6 men i just wanted extra insurance that it could survive most of what is shoot at it
    Last edited by sicarius2424; 02-02-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12