BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: $50 per Marine

Abbess Sanctorum

Excuse me-- Sisters player here? All-metal army and all? Yeah, I've been dealing with this for a while, get used to it, kthxbai.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wazatdingder View Post
    On that subject, look at the new Flash Gitz. $16.50 each. That's $165 for 10!!! At that price you can get 30 nobs. And in my experience nobs are much better. While Flash Gitz are "flashy" they are not very reliable and lack any real CCW ability. Not to mention they have no transport option, and you give up a slot for a battle wagon, dread, or kans. They are hardly worth playing with, let alone paying $16 a piece for.

As a mad ork player, I would like to have it all and then some, all I gotta say now is HELL NO!
    I have not and will not purchase any of the individually sold metal models. Why anyone would pay 10-20 dollars for a single 28mm model is completely beyond me. Apparently, people like the high level of detail or rules that come along with the models. To me they are just too expensive.

First-Captain

Hmm can I give my 2 cents. Well This is a hobby and with points about the individual models. I think they are to give character to a unit, Especially with flash gits. Flash Gits cant be that hard to konvert and as such the GW models are detailed and are designed to give some inspiration. Admittedly the prices would be better if it was a LTD or partnership or solo owned business as it would most likely be run by a hobbiest as who would run a high liabilty set out on a model game

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Subject Keyword View Post
    Immortals...
    $12 each...
    Need ten for effective army...
    Hate my life...
    They should make marines $50 each. Then maybe Imperial players would quit playing Marines and I'd get to fight a real challenge: Guard.
    Thats why on Wednesday you get to say hi to artillery.

Anyway, in the end, people need to realize that.
    A-Paying full price is dump 90% of the time (Internet discounts)
    B-Conversions are not hard (Someone did me an awesome favour and converted 3 Nurgle Princes out of greenstuff and Ogres. Total cost, 27$+Greenstuff
    C-GW does not care about your opinion. GW is a major corporation, major corporations care about a minority of consumers as much as I care about my dirty sock. As long as Timmy still gets mommys credit card, and mommy is still willing to buy plastic space men, then GW is Happy. And making money.

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Veteran-Sergeant

Originally Posted by Denzark
    I am a 30 year old cynic, I have to buy nappies and pay the mortgage. This is a luxury item, yes, and it is going up in price, yes. However what is going down is the target age of GW's target audience, this can be seen by the rules complexity dumbing down and the whole, Christmas list, send your mum to GW and the helpful red shirt will give her the all in one game/battleforce with the al in one paint set, modelling kit and terrain. And a table cloth flocked up. And genuine Rogal Dorn pants, and GW own glue at 150% at least the price of super glue, so that little timmy can snort away to his heart's content whilst daubing on shade number 33 of brown.

And then if we're lucky little timmy will discover girls or emo music or some such, and we'll see yet another ebay entry 'selling this for my son as it has been in the attic for 2 years since he left home, don't know what it is but think it is a spess mehrien guard elf.'

And we can buy cheap cheap like the budgey and only visit GW when you are in town and remember you are out of bleached bone or something specific, or you catch some really good DTs from lack of plastic crack and get some boxed set to sneak in when the wife is away.

To cut short, as a previous poster said, you can always stop dripping and vote with your feet...

testify my brother, testify.

Veteran-Sergeant

"Vote with your wallet" and I agree but then what is there to look forward to? You stay without new models and GW makes less money: Lose/Lose

The change needs to happen at GWs end. They're making more money from PARENTS buying for their kids than they do from veterans who actually give a damn. All those army boxes bought at Christmas time and set aside for actual toys. Meanwhile you and I are painting and converting and taking time to build a working, thematic army from the ground up. We don't buy $250 worth of models at a time because we have the sense to know we can't use that many at once. Thus they don't care what you or I think.

I'm not an economist but even I can say that this trend of price inflation during times when people have less money just can't be clever. In any case each of us knows that even if prices were to drop 50% tomorrow none of us would spend half the money we currently do on the hobby... we'd just have double the models.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

At least the re-done chimera is still $35. Granted they've taken the accessory sprue (frame) away but it goes with my "transports are $35" theory.
    $49 for a Basalisk? I think that's crazy.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

If anything good can come of rapidly inflating prices, it has certainly appeared top encourage an increase in the customized/kitbash side of the hobby.

Maybe I am seeing it because I want it to be so, but it sure seems to me there are a lot more 1/48 SD.KZF250s as Chimeras, M-48/M-60 conversions into a Russ, Hind-as-a-Valkyrie, etc.

I wholly support this trend, if it exists.

I also note a more relaxed attitude towards counts-as in 40K communities, outside of the tournament scene of course. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has noted the same.

Thankfully I never have to concern myself with such as I don't play tourneys and have a regular group who digs customized work, so long as its a reasonable facsimile and basically WYSIWYG.
    Last edited by Akkon Sek; 02-09-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

I know a dozen people who would enjoy 40K loads but don't play because of the prices.
    Personally I only buy products that I think are value for money and give an end product I get lots of use/enjoyment from. Once prices go up I sometimes stop buying eg. lotr metal models, the new vehicles, most importantly paints (>2£ is too much) and in addition fantasy genrally (I want too start but cost is too high). Mainly I get plastic infantry which I gives me the most value for money.
    In relation to recent releases I dont like the all options in 1 kit this=waste it should be more like FW with seperate options for each weapon-at reasonable prices of course.
    Any way just what I was thinking...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast