BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: $50 per Marine

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Akkon Sek View Post
    At no point was I suggesting a boycott. Though admittedly where I wrote "GW" I should have caveatted with "GW retail". As you stated, there are a myriad of ways to carry on with GW-specific models which do not require first-run/full-retail purchase.

Also bear in mind the original discussion revolved around specific product lines not living up to an expected quality based on shelf price. It is through the lack-of-sale of these specific items that change can be facilitated through lack of purchase.

The last thing I, or most anyone I imagine, wants is a full-on boycott of Games Workshop. At least, not until the sixth when I can acquire my Killa Kans... if you please.
    My apologies, I obviously interpreted the post incorrectly. GW retail is definitely something that can be boycotted (I have done it involuntarily, since I do not have one within 350kms). I make the majority of my purchases through Wayland Games, giving me 50, 60, maybe 70% discount on what I would pay here in Austraila, and that INCLUDES postage from the UK.

I will purchase my Codicies, novels, paints and modelling gear, and the occasional model all from GW Online, just to support them. But in the end, I suppose you are right, maybe if we looked at other avenues of obtaining the minis, chose not to use their retail stores, shopped at the independants, or maybe if GW became more of an online entity, it could bring about a huge change. I understand there are pros and cons to each, but it is an interesting thought.

Anyways, I have to congratulate all on keeping this civil. And welcome Melissia, I am surprised it took you so long to arrive, was your flight delayed

Chaplain

So, as I am looking to get some Eldar, I did some pricing.

I can get the codex and battleforce from Wayland for $109.13AUD, including postage to Australia from UK.

OR I can pay $192AUD and buy it locally.

There is something wrong when you can buy internationally with postage and still pay about 40% less.

$80 off a purchase is a lot of money, which could be spent on any number of things. Doing bargain searches like this are what allow me to continue the hobby, and perhaps GW need to look at this sort of thing seriously (but if they are making the sales at full retail in store, then why bother).

Anyways, just thought people might be interested.

a big problem recently emerging for US/rest of world is that GW is a mainly EU based as far as prices are concearned.

it also hit (it is quite ironically as GW originates from uk but whatever) the UK quite hard.

I'm talking about the € rise.

I was told by many UK people (for not saying "heard them whine about") the new price of gaunts in the split boxes but where you pay in € the new boxes are cheaper than the old were.

I think this is what happening: instead of increasing (or god forbid decreasing!) prices as the currencies change GW hides their currency adaptions (usually on the error of a rise...) with new products.

just a little example: 1 warwalker 25€, 3 killakahns 35€. 3 khans are 140% of 1 warwalker
    in us$: 3 khans 44,50, 1 warwalker 30. 3 khans are 148% of 1 warwalker.

48/40 =1,2. so your US price increase is 20% more than in € land but if you do a currency converter you are still cheaper...

The Dark Mechanic

This is not the first time the price point has hurt. I would really like to get my hands on a new Hellhound, but I cannot justify the price range. I would buy 2-3 at $35, but for $50 I don't want any.
    I have to agree, the high price points make multiples less of an option for many people. eBay is my new friend on items like this, especially when I want multiples of a $50 range item. I bought one new Hellhound when it first came out just to get one going, but then started watching eBay to pick up a few more. After models have been out for a few weeks and immediate demand drops off, so does some of the competition on some of the auctions for those items. I was able to get a couple new Hellhound kits for $29 each and a new Demolisher for about $36 a few weeks after their release by watching some auctions that didn't go too high. I've also gotten three boxes of Raveners in the past week or two for $31 each off of eBay. If you can be patient, significant discounts are possible and of course, there are reliable sellers like The War Store and Chaos Mail Order that offer 20% off all the time.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chaplain

I remember when my first local Game Store originally opened up. The store owner was knowlegeable and very helpful. Was a great place to just simply hang out! The place was like 'Cheers' but with Miniatures insted of Beer (I know some of you are fortunate enough to have both, but no way, not here in the USA) I bought EVERYTHING from that Game Store. I did so because I liked the place. I liked the owner, and wanted to support him.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    I remember when my first local Game Store originally opened up. The store owner was knowlegeable and very helpful. Was a great place to just simply hang out! The place was like 'Cheers' but with Miniatures insted of Beer (I know some of you are fortunate enough to have both, but no way, not here in the USA) I bought EVERYTHING from that Game Store. I did so because I liked the place. I liked the owner, and wanted to support him.
    This is all written in past tense. I am guessing the Cheers store evolved more into Tortellis rather than Frasier?

Anywho, it is great to hear you had a game store like that, would have been a good experience.

Chaplain

Sadly, the store owner's wife had something to say.

The store got changed. There was less and less of the cool stuff and more and more of the stupid.

Ultimately, the store failed. From selling TONS* of 40k/Fantasy as well as Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh/CCGs and Comic Books....

....Turned into selling REALLY Cheap Plastic Airplanes, Breyer Plastic Horses, Animal Furs, Flea-Market JUNK, Wooden Children's Educational Toys, opening a DOG GROOMING area INSIDE the Game Store! (?)

The owner got addicted to City of Heroes MMO and forgot all about running a store. 24/7 was dedicated to his Video Game. He played his MMO DURING open Store Hours!! Things went downhill FAST.

*Tons, yeah, really! I could not believe how much stuff they sold! It was amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    Sadly, the store owner's wife had something to say.

The store got changed. There was less and less of the cool stuff and more and more of the stupid.

Ultimately, the store failed. From selling TONS* of 40k/Fantasy as well as Magic/Yu-Gi-Oh/CCGs and Comic Books....

....Turned into selling REALLY Cheap Plastic Airplanes, Breyer Plastic Horses, Animal Furs, Flea-Market JUNK, Wooden Children's Educational Toys, opening a DOG GROOMING area INSIDE the Game Store! (?)

The owner got addicted to City of Heroes MMO and forgot all about running a store. 24/7 was dedicated to his Video Game. He played his MMO DURING open Store Hours!! Things went downhill FAST.

*Tons, yeah, really! I could not believe how much stuff they sold! It was amazing!!
    This brings up a great point. By boycotting you are not going to affect GW as a corporation but the local gaming stores will definitely feel the pinch.

And in the end you can always sell blood plasma for extra cash to buy 40k stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorlon View Post
    And in the end you can always sell blood plasma for extra cash to buy 40k stuff.
    Where? lol

Not entirely sure....a commercial for a plasma center happen to come on while i was typing that post...apparently they give $25 for a unit-o-plasma. A few trips and you can get a baneblade or something.

Hmm PlasMarines Chapter sounds interesting.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast