BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I hope they don't go too heavy on the jersey shore factor, marine 6-packs tend to be quite creepy.

On the other hand it might shut up those who claim 40k is sexist towards female models only.
    I think it's purely emulating the shaped body armor of antiquity. Roman era gladiators and Praetorians had 'six-pack shapes' on their armor IIRC.
    "No one hides from the Eye, No one hides from the Sky!"

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Read the psy power again, but when it says "Remove it from play," try to see it as "Remove the template from play." Then see if that makes more sense as a psy power. most people on the net seem to think that the marker is removed, not the model... But I can see lots of arguments forming over this in the near future.
    Yeah your probably right. My mistake!

Occuli Imperator

I would like to see the armour be more like that of the current Mephiston model.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Atrotos View Post
    I think it's purely emulating the shaped body armor of antiquity. Roman era gladiators and Praetorians had 'six-pack shapes' on their armor IIRC.
    I praise the intent, but the result has some creepiness to it.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I praise the intent, but the result has some creepiness to it.
    Because the grimdark shouldn't get grimmer. :P

Personally, I like the look of the form-fitted armor like Dante's or Tycho's - but Mephiston's is over the top with the muscle-fiber looking details on the chest. Makes it look like he's been skinned...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel_Fish View Post
    Because the grimdark shouldn't get grimmer. :P

Personally, I like the look of the form-fitted armor like Dante's or Tycho's - but Mephiston's is over the top with the muscle-fiber looking details on the chest. Makes it look like he's been skinned...
    Isn't that kind of the point of Mephiston's armour?

I personally love the romanesque armour look with the molded breastplates.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Isn't that kind of the point of Mephiston's armour?

I personally love the romanesque armour look with the molded breastplates.
    Aren't the Blood Angels supposed to be Renaissance-like? Ultramarines are the Roman-influenced Marines and they don't have any six-pack chestplates with nipples showing.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    Aren't the Blood Angels supposed to be Renaissance-like? Ultramarines are the Roman-influenced Marines and they don't have any six-pack chestplates with nipples showing.
    Yeah, they are, but the BAs are also supposed to be the artisans. The Ultramarines, to me, seem to be Roman only in the sense that they have crests on many of their helms and in a lot of their naming. Perhaps also in their rigid miliatry structure.

I think Romanesque was the right word choice, but you're certainlly right that the BAs are supposed to fall more along the lines of Italian renaissance (though Rome is in Italy!)

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

They are indeed renaisance, but by defenition that means they have very strong artistic elements that are based upon idolised Greek and Roman imagery as that was what the renaisance was about, the enlightment /re-enlightenment of european society, which for the most part meant attempting to recreate greek and roman society.

Tycho/Dante/Mephiston don't bother me, even with the flayed flesh look on mephiston, I'd just hate for the whole army to become absmarines. We already have too many 300-inspired chapters.

It's neoclassical/classical, just like ultramarines. Smurfs have a less specific style to it, the early styles are imho better described by these captains:

UM captain: [url]http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:UM_Captain.jpg[/url]
    Clearly a centurion.

BA captain: [url]http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:BA_Captain.jpg[/url]
    Mask recalling the mask of agamennon with a christian/medieval halo, anatomically correct like classical statues.

So maybe BA are more greek with a hint of baroque(over-decorated) and UM are more bland-roman.

Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast