BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

I think Nabterayl's suggestion is best to treat them like a unit of infiltrators.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to an opponent marking them down after I placed my infiltrators since there seems to be some ambiguity (shock!).

They definitely have to be "placed" prior to scout moves though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    In a game with infiltrators and units with scout, when does the tyranid player have to decide which terrain piece the Ymgarl genestealers are lying dormant in?

From the Tyranid codex: "Ymgarl Genestealers can elect to start the game in a dormant state. . . . If you choose to do this, the brood is not deployed with the rest of the army. Instead, after both sides have deployed, secretly write down which piece of terrain they are lying dormant in."

Infiltrate USR: "Units with this special rule are deployed last, after all other units (friends and foe) have been deployed.

Scout USR: ". . . after both sides have deployed (including infiltrators), but before the first player begins his first turn, any scouts may make a normal move."

Both the Ymgarl Genies and units with Scout trigger "after both sides have deployed". I haven't been able to find an answer to this question from RAW.
    :::: Instead, after both sides have deployed,:::: its right there after both sides have deployed you have the infiltrate phase it would seem to me that you would then both roll to see who places or writes down first then scout moves occur by order of operations

The way I read it, is when I deploy my forces, that is when you write down where the Ymargl genestealers go. It is part of your deployment. Why would they go before Infiltrators? Nothing in the rules says this, so they don't.

Whey you deploy any footslogging units, that is when you deploy your Ymargls. They don't infiltrate, they don't scout, so they have to deploy either on foot, or they deploy when they are dormant. Dormant means they deploy secretly adn your opponent dosn't know where, unless there is only one piece of terrian lol.

So, Ymargle Geanstlealers always deploy nomraly. You would deploy them if they are footslogging on Turn One, or you deploy them in a Dormant state. But they are both done at the same time, before Infiltrators move and scouts move.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

i guess you didnt read the post above you where it says after both sides have deployed guess you missed that huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    i guess you didnt read the post above you where it says after both sides have deployed guess you missed that huh ?
    Well it's funny, that I don't see this in the codex. Can you show me where it is in the codex that says this huh?
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    :::: Instead, after both sides have deployed,:::: its right there after both sides have deployed you have the infiltrate phase it would seem to me that you would then both roll to see who places or writes down first then scout moves occur by order of operations
    yes I did read this. Lets see what is says. It says after both sides have deployed you have the infiltrate phase. To me this sounds infiltrate goes first, then you bot roll to see who places or writes down, then the scout move goes last.

I am saying this is wrong. You deploy either on foot, or you go dormant, but you still have to deploy, but the location is in secret. Then you do the infiltrate, and then you do your scout move.

So what is your point about "huh?". I am saying you are wrong, why am I wrong then and you are not?

"""From the Tyranid codex: "Ymgarl Genestealers can elect to start the game in a dormant state. . . . If you choose to do this, the brood is not deployed with the rest of the army. Instead, after both sides have deployed, secretly write down which piece of terrain they are lying dormant in." """"

i dont see what your issue is it says right there

now unless you think you get some super secret new deployment phase for this unit which of course you dont after deployment comes infiltrate... which you both have an action in that phase you roll for who acts first end of sentence

i dont really care if you think im wrong or not im saying you did not read

I did read it. Once both sides have deployed then you have to write down secretly for the Ymgrals. That is still before Infiltrate.

What special super secret new deployment phase are you talking about? Are you talking about the one that goes after Infiltrate? Or is Infiltrating part of the deployment phase and is not a special case?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12