BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Knight View Post
    And let's not get into Blanche's horrible, hideous artwork again (at least regarding anything female). At least he's not as bad as Rob Liefeld though.
    I always thought I was the only one who didn't care for Blanche's style of art.[/QUOTE]

Count me against it, too.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

I still don't understand why everybody complains/complains about people complaining about the supposed lack of females in 40k.
    Assuming that female characters would have to be feminine is assuming that female = feminine. There is not, by any far stretch of the imagination, a deficit of females in 40K, just of deficit of femininity.

And femininity isn't exactly an effective tactic in war.
    It doesn't have a place in wargaming, any more than masculinity has a place in braiding your little sister's hair.
    We all have Yin and Yang in us. The difference is what we express at a given moment.

War is Yang.
    Femininity does not belong in it. Females do.

The Tyranids and Orks are both gender neutral.
    The Tau have no indication that females cannot fight, a decidedly female HQ (who would have had to rise up the ranks somehow), and they do not have particularity different physiology between the genders, so the models represent both.
    Female Necrontyr were turned into Necrons.
    Both Eldar armies have male and female soldiers and models to represent them.
    There are (a few) female Imperial Guard models, and indication in the fluff that some IG armies enlist women.
    Deamons are gender neutral, and some of them are represented with female forms.
    One of the two Inquisition armies is predominately female.

So what we're really talking about here is Space Marines, and part of the POINT of Space Marines is that they are male. Taking "being male" away from Space Marines would be like taking BDS&M away from the Dark Eldar. It's a central part of the mythology of the Space Marine.

I'm perfectly capable of feeling feminine. I can take care of a child or sew a dress and that satisfies that part of me. If I want to f*ck some sh*t up I spar with someone or Wargame or turn on my XBox.

Warhammer itself is a very Yin & Yang sort of hobby. When you paint you are passive, being gentle and delicate with your models. When you game you are active, trying to brutalize your opponent using aggressive tactics. It has NOTHING to f*cking do with being male or female.

Are women capable of kicking *ss? Of course! Are they capable of kicking *ss and being beautiful at the same time, Laura Croft style? HELL NO. Flak jackets are not particularity becoming, and the long hair would get in the way. In a war she'd cut that sh*t off.
    Goodbye Bols!

Grand Provost Marshal

Oh crap, the FSM* issue again!

*(no, not Flying Spaghetti Monster)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    Oh crap, the FSM* issue again!

*(no, not Flying Spaghetti Monster)
    Maybe a good way to put this whole Female Space Marines bullcrap to rest is to say that the Flying Spaghetti Monster ate all the Female Space Marines because they stole its abbreviation, and because they are contradictory and stupid.

Pastafarianism PWNs stupid reactionary faux-feminism.

Goodbye Bols!

Mostly good points, but actually we aren't talking about SM, we are talking about SoB. The complaints about them which in the minds of certain idiot boys are equated to feminism and sexism is that many of the models have too much of a dominatrix/BDSM vibe which is not particularly compatible with the nuns-in-space theme. Nothing to do with feminism and sexism, and only related to femininity in the sense that there is TOO MUCH femininity to be credible in a fighting force. The models need to be clearly female (females are a different shape, I'm surprised more gamers haven't noticed. Wait, no I'm not), but they don't need to have enormous cups, and I say this as a DD myself.

The FSM thing is a whole other issue which has been debated elsewhere and does not belong in this thread. I do disagree with the point that SMs are purely a male thing, I think they are an emblem of the ultimate warrior, sexless, dedicated and formidable. Not distracted by the desires of flesh (except the Dark Angels, apparently).

I will add that most female soldiers I know actually wear their hair in a ponytail or bun rather than cut it short, but the point stands.

Minor quibble, SoB aren't an inquisitorial army, they are a seperate force that works with the Inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Subject Keyword View Post
    I still don't understand why everybody complains/complains about people complaining about the supposed lack of females in 40k.
    Assuming that female characters would have to be feminine is assuming that female = feminine. There is not, by any far stretch of the imagination, a deficit of females in 40K, just of deficit of femininity.

And femininity isn't exactly an effective tactic in war.
    It doesn't have a place in wargaming, any more than masculinity has a place in braiding your little sister's hair.
    We all have Yin and Yang in us. The difference is what we express at a given moment.

War is Yang.
    Femininity does not belong in it. Females do.

The Tyranids and Orks are both gender neutral.
    The Tau have no indication that females cannot fight, a decidedly female HQ (who would have had to rise up the ranks somehow), and they do not have particularity different physiology between the genders, so the models represent both.
    Female Necrontyr were turned into Necrons.
    Both Eldar armies have male and female soldiers and models to represent them.
    There are (a few) female Imperial Guard models, and indication in the fluff that some IG armies enlist women.
    Deamons are gender neutral, and some of them are represented with female forms.
    One of the two Inquisition armies is predominately female.

So what we're really talking about here is Space Marines, and part of the POINT of Space Marines is that they are male. Taking "being male" away from Space Marines would be like taking BDS&M away from the Dark Eldar. It's a central part of the mythology of the Space Marine.

I'm perfectly capable of feeling feminine. I can take care of a child or sew a dress and that satisfies that part of me. If I want to f*ck some sh*t up I spar with someone or Wargame or turn on my XBox.

Warhammer itself is a very Yin & Yang sort of hobby. When you paint you are passive, being gentle and delicate with your models. When you game you are active, trying to brutalize your opponent using aggressive tactics. It has NOTHING to f*cking do with being male or female.

Are women capable of kicking *ss? Of course! Are they capable of kicking *ss and being beautiful at the same time, Laura Croft style? HELL NO. Flak jackets are not particularity becoming, and the long hair would get in the way. In a war she'd cut that sh*t off.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

Subject Keyword: No. No female space marine discussion in this thread. Shutup and go away if you're going to turn it into yet another locked FSM thread.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Occuli Imperator

Wow I came into this thread at the wrong point... Let's see if we can get this thread back on topic.

Has anyone actually seen/ heard actual evidence of the new book? On warseer they seem to think Phil Kelly will write the new book

duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Librarian

*stumbles in*

Well I wandered in at a bad time. Shoulda kept farming Crawmerax... Oh damn, he'd make a damn awesome model...

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Wow I came into this thread at the wrong point... Let's see if we can get this thread back on topic.

Has anyone actually seen/ heard actual evidence of the new book? On warseer they seem to think Phil Kelly will write the new book

duke
    Sure! Have a look [url="http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55212"]here[/url] and then read the last 2-3 pages, plenty of new tidbits there. Amazing what people can find when the topic doesn't veer off-course even two pages

Basically, current rumors say that the new two armies will be Grey Knights and Dark Eldar, with strong possibilities of either coming out first.

Veteran-Sergeant

Was just looking over some vids from Adepticon 2010 and saw this one.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGydUJSn448[/url]

Shawn asks if the girls name is Mel and I instantly thought of Melissia on this forum. So instead of starting a new thread just to ask or send a pm because maby someone else is wondering as well Im just gonna ask if that was you in the vid?

Been looking through vids all day and there really isnt much Daemonhunter and Witchhunter presence at Adepticon this year from what I can tell. All Ive seen is a vid from a painting booth and they had some models in their glass display case, a Penitent Engine amongst other things.

So has anyone gone to Adepticon? Its still on tomorrow afaik, could you walk around and ask the retailers for rumours on what they think will be the next codex? Maby some retailer has heard something?

Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast