BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Nemesis 360 View Post
    D
    Besides the points moot anyway one company of Marines vs 1 Survivor and a small group trapped in a dyson sphere good luck MC!
    Only one remaining Spartan II (actually a handful remaining, but other than MC they're scattered all over who knows where. In fact, now MC is who knows where, too).

ONSC, however, has replaced the Spartan II program with the Spartan III program. Now, the first few batches of III's were much more mass-produced, but as established in Halo: Reach some are still given full MJOLNIR armor and for all intents and purposes are just like MC and the other Spartan IIs.

Basically, the Spartan II program was the pre-production test run. The Spartan III program perfected the augmentation process, and is now in full production. Of note is the fact that the augmentation process was improved such that the survival rate went from 44% to 100%, with no detrimental effect on the physiological enhancements.

To note, three full companies of roughly 300 each were raised in a very short period of time. The kids were recruited from orphans, trained and augmented within 4-5 years, if not less, then sent on massive suicide missions. They were basically dropped off on vital covenant planets with no backup, against superior foes and inferior technology, and still were hugely successful in creating massive amounts of damage.

Some of them were withdrawn from the normal companies, and were trained and equipped more as Spartan IIs, with the best possible equipment and trained into adulthood, rather than being sent out on suicide missions at an average age of 11-13 or so.

Most Space Marines Scouts probably haven't even been recruited yet at that age, let alone sent out on suicide missions without any form of support. Based on that fact alone, no SM scout can compare with a Spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    Spartans seem to be heavily inspired by 40k Space Marines, with them being indoctrinated and trained at youth, given bio enhancements and superior armor.
    I wouldn't be sure of that. There are too many other examples of power-armored super soldiers that are much more mainstream. Spartans are a direct reference to the Spartans of olds, given updated armor, weapons and training.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
    Spartans seem to be heavily inspired by 40k Space Marines, with them being indoctrinated and trained at youth, given bio enhancements and superior armor.
    Which of course couldn't be inspired by anything else.
    Like every warrior society ever.
    Samual L Jackson's childhood home, for instance.
    Goodbye Bols!

Chapter-Master

Oh, and ONI projections for the Spartan III programs estimated that, excluding human extinction at the hands of the Covenant, and given sufficient recruits, they could go from 20 to 100,000 Spartans fully trained within about 20 years. That would take Space Marines a few millenia or so.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Oh, and ONI projections for the Spartan III programs estimated that, excluding human extinction at the hands of the Covenant, and given sufficient recruits, they could go from 20 to 100,000 Spartans fully trained within about 20 years. That would take Space Marines a few millenia or so.
    Maybe in 40k it'd take that long, but I'd think during the great crusade in 30k the Emperor was able to pump 'em out a bit faster. There were a couple hundred thousand at that time I think?
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Abbess Sanctorum

Per founding legion.

Also? There's more Guardsmen in 40k than there are HUMANS in Halo.
    Last edited by Melissia; 04-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Actually, this doesn't make any sense.
    Space Marines (as a whole), maintain a very even level of battle brothers (~1,000,000). To maintain an even level, they must be recruiting and training a battle brother for every one lost.
    I'm pretty sure that more then 100,000 marines are killed in action every TWENTY years.
    Thats 7300 days. Making for an average death toll of about 13-14 marines killed per day in the whole 40K universe needed to have similar numbers to the 'improved quick-grow' spartan program.

Would it be hard to form 100 new chapters, while maintaining the status quo? Very likely. Is is hard for them to stay stable at 1000 chapters of 1000 battle brothers? Not really, they still even form a new chapter from time to time when an old one is completely lost.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

I have to say, I like the Halo universe more than the 40k one. At least Bungie is willing to move the plot forward. And Halo doesn't strain my suspension of disbelief half as much as 40k.
    Huh, the Haloverse isnt as extensive as 40k. Also the plot was moving until the Emperor was defeated. Chaos has won. Humanity is to survive against all odds... odds that will be impossible to fight against. There you go. Also the introduction of the Tau and the Nids as upstarts are ways to screw humanity even further.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Per founding legion.

Also? There's more Guardsmen in 40k than there are HUMANS in Halo.
    Heck, now there's almost more Space Marines in 40k than humans in Halo. The events of Halo 3 were quite literally humanity's last stand, though there may be a few small pockets of survivors elsewhere in the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    Actually, this doesn't make any sense.
    Space Marines (as a whole), maintain a very even level of battle brothers (~1,000,000). To maintain an even level, they must be recruiting and training a battle brother for every one lost.
    I'm pretty sure that more then 100,000 marines are killed in action every TWENTY years.
    Thats 7300 days. Making for an average death toll of about 13-14 marines killed per day in the whole 40K universe needed to have similar numbers to the 'improved quick-grow' spartan program.

Would it be hard to form 100 new chapters, while maintaining the status quo? Very likely. Is is hard for them to stay stable at 1000 chapters of 1000 battle brothers? Not really, they still even form a new chapter from time to time when an old one is completely lost.
    Eh, I know GW always makes a big deal about how long it takes to create new SMs. The thing is you need the progenoid glands from a dead SM, and a year or so for the augmentation to work, and all that stuff, and even then it kills many of the neophytes.

Spartans, however, are limited only by the number of available recruites. You just inject some drugs, and a little surgery, and a few months later you've got a new Spartan. If that technology was available to the Imperium, every single planet could have its own chapter of SMs, instead of only 1000 chapters across the whole galaxy.

if we are going to push it forward twenty years. By then the Imperial navy has simply virusbombed the planet declared it exterminatus and moved on. No sign of any spartans. The end.
    Hell all you need is one battlebarge.

Librarian

Spartans, however, are limited only by the number of available recruites. You just inject some drugs, and a little surgery, and a few months later you've got a new Spartan. If that technology was available to the Imperium, every single planet could have its own chapter of SMs, instead of only 1000 chapters across the whole galaxy.
    Actually, the only limit to the Imperium is the fear of the Horus Heresy. They could raise more chapters, but the High Lords of Terra forbid it.

The Imperium doesn't need high success rates, they have such numbers of people that they can do what ever they want.

For example: a census of a secondary hive city on Necromunda was ended with a count of over one billion in the upper settlements. That doesn't include the lower levels with have an even greater population or any other hive (of which there are around a thousand).

If you took the entire upper settlement and tried to make them marines, with a 99.9% fail ratio; you would still get a million new marines. From only part of a single hive city.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast