BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Black Rage is a limiter remember, so they arn't perfect. If there is a unit closer than the unit you want to attack, they must move towards that unit (the Chaplain no longer negates this like in the PDF, so to keep him part of the unit, he has to go with them towards that unit) and the second part, that they don't count as scoring units, really hinders you in the objective based games (as I noted in my post in your Army List thread).

So while they are very good killy machines, inside an RB that gets cracked too close to the wrong unit will delay your progress. My unit was near a c'tan and the c'tan opened the RB and they had to pop out, and he was the nearest enemy, which was useless for everythign but the charge as they couldn't hurt it, so they got eaten rather quickly by the C'tan.

John m.
    are these just draw backs or are they to big to deal with i mean i really want to do a death company list i posted a new list in army list threads so check it out and commit on it and see what i can do better but i want to keep the core of that list

I'd like to take a large Death Company against Orks, just for giggles (HQ of Mephiston, of course). The Rage rule makes you chase the nearest enemy, true, but it doesn't say you have to cluster up - closest model to closest model moves towards the closest enemy, but the rest can spread out so long as they remain in coherency.

Full 30 man squad with Lemartes and 6 powerfists comes in at 900 points, bolt pistols except for the powerfists and running. Spread out to cover the front line of your entire deployment zone (1.4" spread should cover the whole thing factoring in model base size - less if terrain's in the way). Stay spread out as you advance and only close up when you get near tough targets. Should be possible to engage several units at once, and if you're careful, you can finess the first engaged model into not losing until the second round of combat by controlling how many models are close enough to engage on a charge. Spread back out when consolidating. Get a little lucky, and you should be able to engage multiple units. Moreover, by being so spread out, you can probably ensure that most squads won't be able to see more than half of the squad to target, giving them all a cover save. With Feel No Pain and the cover saves, you'd essentially be running a huge, cheaper Terminator company. Cover saves would decrease effectiveness of heavy weapons, and spreading out would cut down on blast templates.

Orks couldn't even run Buggies through to make you turn around and chase after unless gaps opened up since they're not "Tanks." A couple of assault squads can follow behind and tag objectives.

I'm not saying this would necessarily be effective, but a long row of Death Company spread across an entire battlefield and running from one end to the other sounds pretty funny.
    Last edited by Judge; 05-01-2010 at 10:37 PM.

A standard Chaplain will get 4 attacks on the charge, not 3 (re-rolling hits but not wounds).

Also, it's worth remembering that all Rage does is control where you move if there is a target in LOS. (and run, and consolidate - but remember you don't have to run with them if it's more beneficial to stay put). It doesn't force you to assault the closest unit if, at the end of your movement, there is more than one enemy unit within charge range. Yes, Rage is a real Achilles Heel at times, but the DC are still a nasty squad that will get your opponent's attention, and with a bit of skill (and luck), you can still make them count when they finally charge in.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    I'd like to take a large Death Company against Orks, just for giggles (HQ of Mephiston, of course). The Rage rule makes you chase the nearest enemy, true, but it doesn't say you have to cluster up - closest model to closest model moves towards the closest enemy, but the rest can spread out so long as they remain in coherency.

Full 30 man squad with Lemartes and 6 powerfists comes in at 900 points, bolt pistols except for the powerfists and running. Spread out to cover the front line of your entire deployment zone (1.4" spread should cover the whole thing factoring in model base size - less if terrain's in the way). Stay spread out as you advance and only close up when you get near tough targets. Should be possible to engage several units at once, and if you're careful, you can finess the first engaged model into not losing until the second round of combat by controlling how many models are close enough to engage on a charge. Spread back out when consolidating. Get a little lucky, and you should be able to engage multiple units. Moreover, by being so spread out, you can probably ensure that most squads won't be able to see more than half of the squad to target, giving them all a cover save. With Feel No Pain and the cover saves, you'd essentially be running a huge, cheaper Terminator company. Cover saves would decrease effectiveness of heavy weapons, and spreading out would cut down on blast templates.

Orks couldn't even run Buggies through to make you turn around and chase after unless gaps opened up since they're not "Tanks." A couple of assault squads can follow behind and tag objectives.

I'm not saying this would necessarily be effective, but a long row of Death Company spread across an entire battlefield and running from one end to the other sounds pretty funny.
    I had a unit of 6 death co with a reclusiarch shred an ork mob on the charge. A unit of assault marines was already in there but I think I won combat by like 14 and 12 more went down thanks to fearless.

I'm currently trying out 9 in an extra armor rhino with 3 power weps and the reclusiarch. Could that be too much awesome?
    letsagetabitarockin!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRollRebel View Post
    I had a unit of 6 death co with a reclusiarch shred an ork mob on the charge. A unit of assault marines was already in there but I think I won combat by like 14 and 12 more went down thanks to fearless.

I'm currently trying out 9 in an extra armor rhino with 3 power weps and the reclusiarch. Could that be too much awesome?
    i believe so, i have don't the math and i found that with out a chaplain ,as awesome as it is with him, he makes the unit over powered. take the chaplain out and they are still a beat stick unit

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    Yes. DC in the right numbers can be TOO good. Your goal should be to kill in a GAME turn, not a player one.

Chaplain doesn't reroll wounds.

A normal Chappy doesn't re-roll wounds, but Lemartes re-rolls to hit and to wound, because he has fallen to the rage and has been inducted into the DC.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Duskstorm View Post
    A normal Chappy doesn't re-roll wounds, but Lemartes re-rolls to hit and to wound, because he has fallen to the rage and has been inducted into the DC.
    I know.
    :P
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

Battle-Brother

i tried a libby in my DC with unleash rage and sheild in a storm raven. it worked pretty good

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by bigrob281 View Post
    i tried a libby in my DC with unleash rage and sheild in a storm raven. it worked pretty good
    i am not really a fan of shield i just don't thing it very beneficial

but chaplains make the DC unit reroll hits and wounds

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Duskstorm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    I know.
    :P
    Not true, the Chaplain Elite does reroll wounds for DC. Look on the Chaplain unit page.

I run a DCx5 all PW with a Chap and continually wipe out 30 Boyz squads and TermA TH/SS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast