BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Rhino Vs Razorback

I finally got a summer job and as such I have some income to throw into 40k now, so I've decided that the next model I'm going to buy is a transport for my marines so they don't have to hoof it everywhere. I was wondering what the pros and cons for both Rhinos and Razorbacks are, but more specifically I was wondering if the smaller transport capacity of the Razorback really is enough of a disadvantage to lose the mounted gun over and I'm also wondering where a Drop Pod might fit in. Any thoughts?

Brother-Captain

Well it really depends what you're going for.
    I kind of view the dedicated transports as:
    Rhino: one shot bunker, possible death trap, unit will move 12" and pop smoke
    Razorb: Combat squading, moderate fire power, can be a lot of points for armour 11
    Drop Pod: Gets you to were you need to go faster, troops are immediately exposed.

Keep in mind razorbacks don't have fire points, so you've have to get out to use any fun guns.
    My prefence is a mix, most list will have 2 Rhinos and 2 Drop Pods, I find Razon backs to be a bit of a luxury.
    The drop pods essentually provide cover (more of a distraction really) for the guys in the rhinos to get close enough to do there job.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Veteran-Sergeant

You can always look at it from an economic standpoint. Razorback costs $35 US, Rhino costs $30 US. In the box you get the components for both vehicles, therefore you have the option of either Razorback or Rhino.

From this point you move on to see which you prefer as everyone has a different play style. I like having Razorbacks as my main transport as I can move and still spit death. I almost never use Rhinos for 2 Reasons:

a) Never really want to do the whole Melta/Plasma Drive by as it exposes one to exponential amounts of return fire.

b) My Space Wolves only long range AT is in the form of Predators, Long Fangs, and Razorbacks. If I can have mobile firepower, I'll take it.

you can have both if you spring for a razorback kit, its only 5 more dlls, just be sure to not glue the razorback/rhino tops and theyre interchangable, plus you can keep the one which isnt being used inside the vehicle!

Brother-Captain

I'll second that on getting the RB kit. I have a decked out Rhino, with the RB top and a sisters emmolator side door cover as the hatch/turret top and it makes a sweet Rhino or a nicely designed Command RB. It's the only vehicle I have that is double duty, and it works well in that capacity.

Brother-Sergeant

Spend $40.

$35 on the Razorback.$5 on magnets...

check it out!

[url]http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/[/url]

Battle-Brother

That's amazing! Thank you so much for showing me this, since this will undoubtedly save me some cash in the long run!"

I also have a question that is somewhat unrelated. What kind of sprues come in the Marine Battleforce? Are they the same as the sprues in the Tact squad and Scout boxes including customization ability or are they more like the sprues I got in the starter where they pretty much all have to come in the same pose and I don't get much in the way of choosing what special weapons I get to use? I'd like to know because I was thinking about buying one but if I lose customization for it then I won't.
    Last edited by RampageRabbit; 05-10-2010 at 05:04 PM.

Brother-Captain

The battle forces are the same sprues you get in the individual boxes. Just think of them as bundles for buying regular product. Only the starters and the paint kits come with the dumbed down sprues.

John M.

Brother-Captain

The scouts aren't the sniper variant. But everything else what you can normally buy individually.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.