BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default lets end the mech plague

i'd like to propose a gentlemen s agreement about stopping the amount of mech that's dominating the hobby.
    i think it prices people out of 40k and keeps new people from getting in. if enough people agreed to only put say tree vehicles in their lists i think we would se a whole wave of creativity
    Cutting out all the transports would halve the cost of armies, and it might send a message to GW that just because they try to pay to play us into into having to double the cost of our armies does not mean we will give in. if we send a message that we will only spend so much then maybe GW will listen and in 6th edition the effectiveness of your list will not be based on cost per model, but instead on skill at lists and strategy

Chaplain

With all due respect, who died and made you the Emperor?
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

I thought this was gonna be about using Melta weapons. I was wrong.

Battle-Brother

im not claiming i know better i just wanted to start a discussion on wether people think that the expense of mech might be hurting the game by making people feel they have to sell a kidney to ever win
    also i cant afford any more tanks and i'm kinda desprate
    in response to sangre's question, the golden throne was empty, all i had to do was move this nasty old corpse and plop down
    Last edited by darthrex354; 05-18-2010 at 10:15 AM.

But mech is cool...people like mech. Plus it doesn't "price people out" of 40k seeing as your average transport vehicle costs about the same as your average box of troops. If people don't take those vehicles then they'll have to take more troops A) to fill out the points the vehicles would have taken up and B) because they're troops are now less resilient given that they've lost their cardboard box.

If you don't like mech there are still competative footslogger armies out there, just don't ruin it for everybody...

Librarian

I think if we all started using Tree vehicles then we wouldn't be in the 41st millenium. And it's probably bad for the environment - deforestation etc.

as for not playing mech, thats easy, play a normal army and have fun with it. screw winning, who's keeping score? and if you play tourneys and there is someone keeping score, spend more time making your army look cool, people respect cool looking armies and fun opponents much more than win/lose ratio's
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I think the beauty of 40k is that Mech IS a weakness in itself.
    Take a bunch of antimech and little to no mech yourself can be very devistating.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Occuli Imperator

True, if you want mech gone then take footsloggers, and lots of meltas. Blood angels are a great non-mech army.
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Librarian

If you don't want to mech then Orks, Demons, Blood Angels and Tyranids are all still very viable army choices. I won't damn anyone for playing mech, gameplay or hobby wise. For the most part it limits the number of models you field making games of 1500pt - 2000pt feasible within a 2 hour time slot and painting little people sucks, it gets tedious and repetitive, I'd rather paint a big old tank or big creature anyday.

Brother-Captain

I know this is may open up the 'realism' can o' worms, but isn't mech more 'realistic' any way?

Mechined warfare has been king (real world here) since the invention of the tank in WW1.

I know that this game isn't a 1 to 1 ratio of real life war, but 'meching' up in game as about the same benefits to real life: protecting from all that small arms fire!

If anything I find MC's far scaries then tanks in this game! But I'm not about to ask to tone those down!

As far as gaming go, yes it does speed up things. I really like my IG platoons, but it takes FOREVER to put them away after a game, and in game it takes that much longer to move them.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast