BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blood Angels vs. Witch hunters??? ...Decision

Hey there everyone,

I have been playing warhammar for a while and wanted to switch to 40k. I narrowed my to army choices to Blood Angels and Which hunters. I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion on which army I should start up, and why? Legitimate responces are MUCH appreciated

Thanks in advance!!
    C15

Brother-Sergeant

You should play blood angels.

1. GW will ALWAYS love space marines more than anyone else. You'll have more stuff to choose from.

2. I like playing an army that is sort of "rare". We don't need anymore Sisters players.
    40k in Aggieland-- PM me for info
    40k in Middle Tennessee

Abbess Sanctorum

That's kinda douchey, Fizzics :P

I reccomend Sisters of Battle (IE, C:WH). The main reason si simple-- they're NOT Marines. They're ordinary humans in power armor, the most elite of the human forces. Being human, rather than a genetically modified, doped up, roid raging, hypnoticaly conditioned, mind-wiped super-human super freak, and yet having such unshakeable resolve and being wiling to throw down your life for the Emperor and Imperium is just badass, whereas Marines aren't really anywhere near as much.

To paraphrase the Doom Marine, their will is strong, their cause is just, and their flamers are very, very numerous.

From a gameplay standpoint, their lists are actually quite easy to build, typically speaking. What matters is how you play the list, more than what you put in it (as long as you avoid certain points sink units).
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

Blood angels have got the love at the moment. New stuff new rules , its all about the Blood Angels, and to be honest they are all that and a bag of potato chips.Ive heard grown men cry about how the Blood angels are too good, the codex too powerful. With that in mind there will be a lot of Blood Angels players around just now.

Witch hunters I havent seen on the battlefield at all. I hear a lot of people say theyre are building a Witch Hunters army but they must be taking their time cos I havent seen them yet.

Blood Angels are cheaper to get an army out. Mostly Plastics and new bits means you have scope for a lot of easy unique marines.

Witch Hunters are mostly metal but the scope for conversions is almost limitless for some of the units.

Id love both armies tbh. Ive gone for a Blood Angels succesor chapter first though cos its quicker and cheaper to get an army done.

Personally, I'd recommend the Witch Hunters/Sisters of Battle. They're much less common, are something different, while Blood Angels are simply assaulty marines in a space marine dominated hobby. Plus, power armoured fanatic crusading holy space nuns. YES.

Keep in mind that you don't really have to choose one or the other - Witch Hunters can be allied to other Imperial armies, so you could have a Blood Angels and Witch Hunters mixed army! Try sticking a Sanguinary Priest in a huge blob of Battle Sisters, and watch 'em become more durable than standard marines. Rules shenanigans aside, the mixed army would be pretty fun to model, perhaps have them share iconography, for instance. Deploying Seraphim alongside Sanguinary Guard would look pretty damn cool, and Sanguinor's rules would be great for a Living Saint (heck, he even gives blessings to the troops).
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 05-23-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Whoopsie, forgot that Repentia can't ride in transports.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Keep in mind that you don't really have to choose one or the other - Witch Hunters can be allied to other Imperial armies, so you could have a Blood Angels and Witch Hunters mixed army!
    For now. Don't count on this lasting for too long.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    That's kinda douchey, Fizzics :P

I reccomend Sisters of Battle (IE, C:WH). The main reason si simple-- they're NOT Marines. They're ordinary humans in power armor, the most elite of the human forces. Being human, rather than a genetically modified, doped up, roid raging, hypnoticaly conditioned, mind-wiped super-human super freak, and yet having such unshakeable resolve and being wiling to throw down your life for the Emperor and Imperium is just badass, whereas Marines aren't really anywhere near as much.

To paraphrase the Doom Marine, their will is strong, their cause is just, and their flamers are very, very numerous.

From a gameplay standpoint, their lists are actually quite easy to build, typically speaking. What matters is how you play the list, more than what you put in it (as long as you avoid certain points sink units).
    Like to point out that Melissia is colossally biased towards her particular brand of power-armour-toting wannabe-marines. The Sisters suffer from a codex that is is dire, dire need of an update.
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Veteran-Sergeant

There are several items to consider:

Determine what point level your local group plays at and look at the cost of building each army to that point level, allowing of the fact that you will want have some options.

Do you have a lot of SoB or BA players in your area? How many of each? Bearing in mind that you need to find out if there are any serious BA players not just flavor of the month players.

If you go with SoB you can add in allied BA, of course if you build a BA list you can add allied SoB so it's a toss up.

Do you prefer painting metal or plastic? BA are almost all plastic, SoB are almost all metal.

BA have a new Codex that will be in use for several years, Sob are due for an update, hopefully soon.

If you build a SoB army that is what you will have, if you build a BA army you have the ability to play under the different Marine Codices.

Both armies have a lot of options and you can build similar lists so it really comes down to personal preferance.

BTW, I have some SoB in my armies and I'm using the BA codex to build another Marine army.
    Last edited by plasticaddict; 05-23-2010 at 07:25 PM.

As a sister of battle player I recommend to two things.
    Either A, play blood angels or B, wait for a new sister codex to come out. Right now all sisters have metal models making the army expensive and have outdated rules.
    Now their is also option C. Which is make a blood angel army with sisters of battle as allies.
    Only in Death are we innocent!

Abbess Sanctorum

plasticaddict: People have used Marines models to "count as" Sisters, using the Counts As rule in the BRB. By that logic, you can also use Sisters to "Count As" Marines.

Which has the added bonus of pissing off overzealous Marine fanboys for obvious reasons, so that's a definite bonus.
    Last edited by Melissia; 05-23-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast