BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Spinner?

Battle-Brother

Default Night Spinner?

Do you think the eldar night spinner is worth it?

i have been thinking on buing it and it will be the first eldar theing i have bought in a year.

what are your thoughts for tactics?

No, not at all.

That 72 inch range is great though, you may almost be able to reach the table from its place on the shelf.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth View Post
    No, not at all.

That 72 inch range is great though, you may almost be able to reach the table from its place on the shelf.
    I think everyone else I've seen here would disagree with this. This [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7398&page=4"]thread[/URL] has all sorts of enthusiasm for the thing.

Virtually everyone thinks the thing's awesome. Playtest it a few times first, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I think it is good, but not as a direct swap for Fire Prisms. If you want to play Nightspinners, you need to tailor your list for it to work. Here's an example 2k list I just made up:

HQ
    Autarch with Fusion Gun
    Farseer with Runes of Warding, Doom, Guide, Singing Spear

ELITES
    6 Fire Dragons
    Wave Serpent with TL Brightlance
    5 Wraithguard, Warlock with Conceal
    Wave Serpent with TL Brightlance

TROOPS
    6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuriken Cannons
    6 Guardian Jetbikes with 2 Shuriken Cannons
    10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with BladeStorm and extra Shuriken Catapult
    Wave Serpent with TL Bright Lance
    10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with BladeStorm and extra Shuriken Catapult
    Wave Serpent with TL Bright Lance

HS
    Nightspinner
    Nightspinner
    Nightspinner

As you see, Nightspinners are soft counters for enemy vehicles, harder on enemy troops as dangerous terrain scales with horde size. Bright Lances, Wraithguard and Firedragons deal with armored vehicles nicely, while the jetbikes can take care of softer targets. The Autarch is OK in higher point games, since Eldar tend to use reserves quite a lot.

Librarian

I think it could be useful.
    It will be very good against infantry:
    It's accurate with a twin linked large blast. It will ignore some cover.
    Rending means that it can even get through the best armour saves.

It will be surprisingly good against vehicles. Barrage means it hits side armour, and rending means you can get up to a 15 for penatration; even though you always take the -1 on the table.

Don't forget the movement affecting special rule. With so many melee and close range firefight armies (melta weapons, shorter range assault weapons, multiple template units, etc.), the ability to slow and even harm any type of unit or vehicle is very useful.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I think everyone else I've seen here would disagree with this. This [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7398&page=4"]thread[/URL] has all sorts of enthusiasm for the thing.

Virtually everyone thinks the thing's awesome. Playtest it a few times first, though.
    Yeah, and because everything that's popular is THE BEST THING EVER!!!!! right? This forum has a giant hard on for Orks last time I checked, so it just makes sense that people would be calling the Night Spinner over powered.

The only tactics that I could think of for it would be to shoot things that move a lot. Well, Eldar is pretty fast as is, so if I get hit with this, I'll just sit still for a turn... It's not like anything you'd be shooting at would catch up with the Eldar moving through terrain, so no use risking the dangerous test. Also, what did the Eldar army need? Here's a hint it's not more S6 weapons and it's definitely not more Heavy Support choices.

If it was Fast Attack, I'd be all over this, but as it stands, it's half decent at killing troops, and pretty terrible at killing tanks. I'd rather just stick to a Prism which is good at doing both.

Chapter-Master

The only tactics that I could think of for it would be to shoot things that move a lot.
    So... just about everything in the game except, say Devestator squads and the like?

Well, Eldar is pretty fast as is, so if I get hit with this, I'll just sit still for a turn...
    Any ork horde or similar unit advancing towards you that, well, isn't for another turn is a valuable thing for an eldar player.

And, of course, there's the whole "Str 6 rending large blast". Sure, it's not great against vehicles. But that'll put a lot of hurt on most infantry units in the game.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Exactly. It'll hurt infantry. It's redundant in the Eldar army. Besides Fire Dragons, Fire Prisms are you best bet for taking down tanks at range, and by taking a Night Spinner, you're taking away from that ability.

Well, Eldar is pretty fast as is, so if I get hit with this, I'll just sit still for a turn...
    The text for the Nightspinner suggests you take the Difficult and Dangerous terrain tests the next time you move for any reason. You can sit still for as many turns as you like - at some point you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you're covered with monofilament murder mesh.

Librarian

Yeah... so if I get hit with this, I'll just sit still for a turn...
    Except that the wording isn't place a marker on the unit and it counts and dangerous terrain in its next movement phase, it's "dangerous terrain the next time it moves."
    That means it will stay on that unit until the end of the game (or until it finally moves).
    It also means any movement, not just movement phase movement. Charge the unit, if they reposition they take the test, flee or consolodate and they take the test.

Even against vehicles it's not a bad choice.
    Lets look at it vs. a Prism; the targets: one BA Baal pred with several rhino's close by.
    The Prism will only hit one target, strength 9 against AV 13 (or AV 11 if it scatters to a secondary target).
    The spinner might hit three targets; but would hit any target at AV 11. Say it hits the pred with the hole and just manages to nick two rhinos. That's a strength 6 (with rending) vs. AV 11 and two strength 3 (with rending) vs. AV 11. But it's also three vehicles that will count as being in dangerous terrain.
    The Prism has a 4+ chance of doing something. The Spinner has a 5+ against it's main target and 2/9th chance of doing something against it's secondary targets. Then there is the 50% chance of immobilizing at least a single vehicle whenever those vehicles move.

And if vehicles are such priority targets; why aren't you taking Serpants with twin-linked missles or lances (the lances are often better against armour anyways, then a Prism cannon).
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast