BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yeah but they are rarer than a Meltagun!! Or the same as "ancient tech" plasmagun.Let me tell you what this is, it's game balance done wrong.

No they are not, they are just as rare which makes sense as any guard squad can get their hands on a melta. Plasma guns are also very rare. What you are pointing out doesn't really contridict the fluff that much. It's not like in some of the BL books where a power weapons is just a regular sword. All these your points can be easily countered and argued.
    Only in Death are we innocent!

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
    Cause their is nothing more rare then very rare. Both are at the hardest levels to get which makes sense.
    Actually, there is. See Ascension.

However, these items are often truly unique ones.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

It's still inconsistent, a mass produced item(bolter) being as rare as a dying(plasma), or even obscure(exotic stuff) technology.

I could have understood scarce, putting the AVERAGE bolter on the same level of weird patterns of common weapons.
    Then again it's not just the bolter, it's not just the fact that they altered the design of the needle rifle (which is almost always a well craftedlonglas with special projectiles)

It's not even that they came up with never heard before weapons like the hand cannon and proclaimed it to be a totally widespread item, or that they renamed the power maul into shock maul (those are things found in the only 4/5 pages I bothered to check, there's more I don't care about recalling), it's the sum of all these things and all the other things. They are inconsistencies.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    It's still inconsistent, a mass produced item(bolter) being as rare as a dying(plasma), or even obscure(exotic stuff) technology.
    ... you mean just like plasmaguns are more common in Codex: Imperial Guard than bolters, even though the former are supposed to be incredibly rare? I don't think this is a contradiction so much as them dealing with GW's own contradictory fluff the best they can.

It's not even that they came up with never heard before weapons like the hand cannon
    [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Anaconda]Orly now.[/url]

Hand Cannons are just particularly powerful stub pistols/revolvers, which DO exist in 40k. Keep in mind that most lore in 40k is representative of the military side of things, while the equipment in Dark Heresy is mostly the civilian side. You'd be better off looking at what gangers have, than what the Guard has.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Dark Heresy did a lot of things. I beleive they're also the first place to diverge the common bolter from the "Astartes" bolter, which is huge and better and not for you. There's no precedent for it - the space marine models hold bolters like sub machine guns, and the human models hold them like bulky, snub-nosed rifles. Presumably it was never thought necessary to make that distinction.

But it makes sense. Even though it's inconsistent with the previous silence on the issue, it's a sensible idea and most people bought it (righteously) without a second thought.

As for melta things, plasma things, heavy things... chill, basically. They're trying to cram all the cool items you see on the tabletop into the roleplaying game while retaining the idea that they are varying degrees of ancient and lost. Even bolters are supposed to be relics individually, with stories all to themselves and a certain degree of personality. When you're trying to keep a game simple enough to have these things all crammed into the categories of "scarce", "rare", and "very rare" some things are not going to please everyone, but you're the first person I've seen be bothered enough about it to argue on the internet.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Freefall945 View Post
    Dark Heresy did a lot of things. I beleive they're also the first place to diverge the common bolter from the "Astartes" bolter, which is huge and better and not for you. There's no precedent for it - the space marine models hold bolters like sub machine guns, and the human models hold them like bulky, snub-nosed rifles. Presumably it was never thought necessary to make that distinction.
    Actually it wasn't the first. Even if (and I doubt this) it wasn't mentioned before third edition, Codex: Witch Hunters at least mentions that the Sisters use their own pattern of Boltguns, the Godwyn-De'az pattern.

There's a gun pattern every 3 guns, so there's really no difference, the difference used to be HOW the marines used bolters as opposed to the type of said bolter.

Also consider that DH/RT don't represent the average shmuck, but some sort of heroic persona, and to an acolyte (Inquisitor in training) finding a simple bolter shouldn't be on the same level that finding some weird archeotech thing.

Again, it's a combination of things, like 'Slaught being misspelt (no apostrophe). like Sisters being thrown in in the lamest way ever... DH/RT is a nice setting, and has a decent 40k feel to it, but it's more like expanded/slightly variated canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    There's a gun pattern every 3 guns, so there's really no difference, the difference used to be HOW the marines used bolters as opposed to the type of said bolter.

Also consider that DH/RT don't represent the average shmuck, but some sort of heroic persona, and to an acolyte (Inquisitor in training) finding a simple bolter shouldn't be on the same level that finding some weird archeotech thing.

Again, it's a combination of things, like 'Slaught being misspelt (no apostrophe). like Sisters being thrown in in the lamest way ever... DH/RT is a nice setting, and has a decent 40k feel to it, but it's more like expanded/slightly variated canon.
    Well I'm going to have to disagree with you. You can keep pointing out mistakes and I will keep arguing each of your statements.

I also thought sisters were well done. I'm mean sure they don't get power armour and bolters but when you served the Inquisition you usually don't wear power armour cause its going to reveal you. The Inquisition is about keeping a low profile. Also your complaining about a spelling mistake. GW makes ton of them. Hell look at the quick reference at the back of the 40k rule book. Wave Serpents Front Armour is 2 not 12.
    Only in Death are we innocent!

Abbess Sanctorum

How, exactly, are Sisters done poorly?

I thought the Inquisitor's Handbook handled Sisters with more care than C:WH did (not that this is a high bar to hurdle). Mind you, it had to be FAQed because they did mess up the rank chart, but then I always check for FAQs with GW products anyway so that's no big deal.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast