BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Foundation Paints vs. Black Primer

One question, have any of you loungers had success painting over black primer with Dheneb Stone in the Foundation series? I'm looking for an alternative to umpteen coats of white.

Veteran-Sergeant

Either Dheneb Stone or Astronomican Gray will cover black very well and serve to undercoat a white top-layer. You should still need multiple layers (at least two thin layers of either Astronomican or Dheneb) as both are fairly thick paints. Astronomican will give the white a colder hue, and Dheneb will give it a warmer hue.

Battle-Brother

i have begun using deneb stone for a base to paint white. im painting my Black Templar army, so it's primed black. it does seem to work well, like anything else, thin it a bit and do a coat or 2. i usually follow up with a dry brush of bleached bone, devlan mud wash and white highlite. i've also used the yellow foundation paint followed with bleached bone and white. both work well over black and beat the gray layering method, i think.

Chaplain

I find that A mix of dheneb stone and astronomican grey make a really nice basecoat for white. It's not to cold and not to warm. You can also add white straight to this mix to blend up to pure white.

Fantastic! Thanks all, for the advice. I have a white/black scheme for my SM, and spaced putting my masking where it should have been.

Chaplain

I haven't used that color Foundation paint, but I just recently started using Foundations on my models (especially vehicles) for quicker and easier paint jobs.
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

I've used the foundation paints with great success over black (since thats all I use as an undercoat), for white, red, and yellow. I've also found that Space Wolves Grey works well on a black undercoat for white with only one coat.
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

work with a base of khmeri brown then go to stone then bleach or white. It will look more natural and it will be easier to paint for you.

Veteran-Sergeant

I use deneb stone as the primer and base coat in one for my Imperial Fists. It works well.