BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    is there any army that can be legaly played in 5th ed that doesnt stomp necron hard , aside for a mirror match against another necron list?
    to be fair to the necron player, there was an objective in the middle of the table, I dropped the doom and it ate 3 squads of infantry in one turn, boom, phase out. 2 untouched monoliths on the table.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Yes. Quite a few actually.

Necrons are underrated-- yes, they're also underpowered, but not as much as people think when played right.
    I agree whole heartedly.

@Jeske: Necrons, while being the butt of many jokes in 40k, still win games but they're so limited in the current meta-game I've seen most 'cron players just move onto a different army or even stop playing all together because it's no longer fun for them.

All I gotta say is playing against Necrons is very refreshing.... Actually, playing against someone who isn't using SM of some kind (Grey Knights the *only* exception) or guard with X hat on, it's quite enjoyable generally.

can you list any melissa?

no army that has special lose scenario build in to it , can be a good one .

still win games
    when was the last time they were in a top 8 of a normal sized GT tournament?

I dont enjoy playing against necron . He plays to draw and I play to phase out . unless the rolls go bonkers the necron will lose . it is impossible to not kill them with 4 turns minimum.
    Last edited by the jeske; 06-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Chaplain

I agree with Jeske, all the rules for 5th ed are inimical to the Necron codex.

The revamped vehicle damage table, means that guass weapons were nerfed.
    TLOS, you can run, but you can't hide, means that necrons will be shot out early on.
    Remember kids, it's better not to get shot at, than to have to roll a cover save at all.
    Wound allocation, allows opponents to kill models they can't see or reach.
    Combat resolution, Ld10 only means that you won't run away from taking 25% casualties in the shooting phase, so that you can be charged, and swept in combat, taking away any chance of a WBB.
    With vehicles being more durable, it meant that the meta went from foot slogging to mechanized, which meant that every other army got faster, while Necrons if anything, got slower.

Brother-Captain

I'm very pleased with the BA FAQ, with exception of the Furioso Libby no longer taking equipment. This means all those Frag Cannon Libbies are no longer valid, and that an Order of Operations precedent has been set for taking upgrades. It is last option, but does not state "may instead" or "only".

John M>

Chapter-Master

Sure, when you have two people just farting around, Necrons are decent.

It is when you have two players of roughly equal skill is when you have problems.

Since 5th edition, I have not lost to a Necron list yet, whether for fun or in the 'Ard Boyz when I caused the 'dreaded and deadly' triple Monolith army phase out on turn 3.

It is simply impossible for me to lose to a Necron player because I actually know what I am doing. Bold statement? Not really. This is Necrons we are talking about, the WORST army in 40k currently.

Competitively, Necrons are a complete joke. As a fun army to foll around with, Necrons are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    "Q: If a Hive Tyrant or the Swarmlord joins a unit of
    Tyrant Guard, is it treated as an Independent Character
    for the purposes of resolving shooting attacks (i.e.
    independent characters who are monstrous creatures
    can be targeted separately from the unit) and assaults
    (i.e. independent characters always count as separate
    units in an assault)?

A: No."

So the Tyrant becomes a part of the unit, as it cannot be singeld out, so if the unit gets cover so does the Tyrant. However if you can see the Tyrant you can shoot at the whole unit rather than just the Tyrant.
    yes but they should have left it like last edition when it became a retinue. With out it being a retinue where the hive tyrant would be considered an upgraded guard, the tyrant is still a monstrous creature. This is the only time in 40k where a monstrous creature can join a unit and they do it very poorly.

In order to give a monstrous creature a coversave at least 50% of it must be covered. a guard does not cover 50%, but because if you stick a tyrant in a unit of guard and then stick gaunts in front of the guard, the tyrant gets a coversave while not being covered by 50%.

If they suck gargoyles in the way, it s a different animal, but guantS!!! thats a serious abuse of rules...I can shoot the guants or...HOLY CRAP THE GIANT standing behind them, that i can see about 75% of...

Quote Originally Posted by Havik110 View Post
    yes but they should have left it like last edition when it became a retinue. With out it being a retinue where the hive tyrant would be considered an upgraded guard, the tyrant is still a monstrous creature. This is the only time in 40k where a monstrous creature can join a unit and they do it very poorly.

In order to give a monstrous creature a coversave at least 50% of it must be covered. a guard does not cover 50%, but because if you stick a tyrant in a unit of guard and then stick gaunts in front of the guard, the tyrant gets a coversave while not being covered by 50%.

If they suck gargoyles in the way, it s a different animal, but guantS!!! thats a serious abuse of rules...I can shoot the guants or...HOLY CRAP THE GIANT standing behind them, that i can see about 75% of...
    The rules are an abstraction, and as long as they're applied consistently, I don't care which way this one goes. If I'm told my thunderfire cannon is fair game despite the techmarine being in cover by a guy who's demanding his tyrant gets a save from area terrain / gaunts / whatever, I'll call foul. If they give my artillery piece a cover save for the unit being in cover, I'm fine with their tyrant receiving the same. Applying logic/realism to 40k results in questions like: why don't we have rangefinders when 8th ed. fantasy is allowing pre-measurement.

Well the Doom ruling is no surprise. I don't think the prime needed to be excluded from spores but it is not the end of the world. The rulling on SitW vs vehicles sucks especially against SW but we will live. Not sure why they felt the need for the lash whip ruling but not the end of the world I suppose. Mawlocs still suck a fat one. They failed to rule on whether or not hive commander works when the Tyrant is off the table. Not sure why they decided we needed most of a page on spore mines. In the end my biggest question is why in the hell did that take them over 6 months to get out? Anyways Nids are an average mid pack army and the FAQ was not going to change that either way.

GW changes rules unilaterally to favor mech because vehicles are expensive in $$.

Should we be surprised by this anymore?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast