BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default Transporting your models

I'm looking to upgrade my army transportation system. At the moment, my vehicles are sittnig in shoe boxes, my dreds are in a box that is too small to close, and my Marines are in a rifle case. try walking into you local store lugging one of thise in one hand and a 50mm ammo case in the other! Not the image I want to project, especially if I want to start an after school gaming club at my school for my students.

I've checked out GW, Sabol Designs Armytransport, and KR Cases. What do you guys think? Which ones work well for you?

Later

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my army transportation system. At the moment, my vehicles are sittnig in shoe boxes, my dreds are in a box that is too small to close, and my Marines are in a rifle case. try walking into you local store lugging one of thise in one hand and a 50mm ammo case in the other! Not the image I want to project, especially if I want to start an after school gaming club at my school for my students.

I've checked out GW, Sabol Designs Armytransport, and KR Cases. What do you guys think? Which ones work well for you?

Later
    Personally, I would stick with what you have as I would grab attention and has that and factor. You would probably have students come along that would have otherwise have over looked it.

Well thats my 2 pence.

If you're walking to the game store carrying your army, then Army Transport is the way to go.

I drive, so I use cut down copier paper boxes with metal lining the bottom and my miniatures are magnetized. This helps with storage and I don't have to deal with foam trays.

But if you're carrying your stuff any distance more than across the parking lot, I think a system with straps that can handle being bumped around would work best.

Chapter-Master

My IG rolls around in a wheeled Tool Box by Stanley.

[url]http://www.buy.com/prod/stanley-fatmax-4-in-1-mobile-work-station-4-shelf-7-caster-metal-22-29/q/listingid/66301613/loc/66357/207907401.html[/url]

I have both GW cases (the original infantry only and one of the newer Plastic large cases) and Army Transports.

The GW Hard Plastic shell is a turnoff for some people, especially with the Logos molded on the case. The large ones also tend to be awkward and have all the issues of regular suitcase as they are about the same size and shape and open like one as well. The ones I have also have no locks so if security is an issue, you may need to consider that.

The Army Transports tend to be less awkward if you can fit everything into one bag. While technically not "lockable", you can pick up a cheap luggage padlock to lock the zippers. Most designs are a top-down "Stacked Tray" design. The foam fits snuggly, so if you just need one model on the bottom tray, you need to remove all the other trays to get to it. That can be annoying. If you get Army Transport II, they zip down the sides so it's not as bad. You can get multiple depths of foam for Sabol, however, the individual foam trays can be pricy.

Foam is ok in both. GW has some pre-made (I've had no issues with the infantry trays) and customizable foam. I believe Sabol is all "customizable" trays, so you need to plan out everything more carefully.

You may want to hunt around and see what the pricing will be on the foam to fit your army into either case - that may be the deal breaker. I choose both - for different armies I use different cases.

Battle-Brother

Default gw boxes

I go to a fabric store and buy foam, and then cut my own foam trays customized to the models. GW shipping boxes, because they have self securing lids, work great for this. Make sure you have foam lid covering the models as well to protect your paint job from the cardboard. This works out to be slightly cheaper than buying the army transport bags from GW or another provider.

It's important to cut the foam so that thin bits (ariels and the like, the swords on my Dark angels winged victorys bitz) that are breakable are protected.

I've been very happy with my GW cases over the years...

Brother-Captain

Most people in our area use either Army Transports or toolboxes (either metal bottom or having magnets set up in the bottom to have magnetized bases).

John M>

Veteran-Sergeant

A gun case is a very effective and relatively cheap way to transport an army. i say relatively because while cheaper than most cases sold right now they are still expensive but have a hard shell which is a major plus!

I use toolboxes.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast