BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

I'm with the Melissa on this one, there's no fluff currently supporting the idea that the Space Marines are policed by the Adeptus Sororitas. In fact, the Space Marine chapters are akin to Imperium-Dedicated Mercenaries, answering the call of imperial powers at their own discretion. Literally the only power that can directly and by its own authrority call upon Space Marine chapters for support are the Inquisitorial Ordos, and generally only those of the puritan (rather than radical) philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    And this has nothing to do with the Sisters of Battle. Unless you're trying to say the Ecclesiarchy hunts down and destroys rogue chapters. Which it doesn't. Yes, the Sisters of Battle might be called to attack a rogue chapter, but tell me-- have you ever actually read any fluff since Rogue Trader that supports that having ever happened?
    I feel like we've misuderstood each other. I know an epic book, or even slight fragment, hasn't been written to this effect, but we agree it's part of the nature of the Sisters of Battle, as the military arm of the Ordo Hereticus, to subjugate and purge any Chapter deemed heretical. It's what they exist for - to cleanse the Enemy within, including Rogue Imperial forces - be they Astartes, Guardsmen, PDF forces or a Mutant uprising. Just because we haven't read a direct account of it, doesn't mean it hasn't/wouldn't happen.

I agree that they don't police them strictly themselves - the Chaplains of the Chapter and the Inquisitors of the Ordo Hereticus do that - but, as you rightly say, they would fight a heretical chapter (which I would deem as a policing action - like extreme riot police). Indeed, I can see no reason why a Canoness wouldn't attack a group of Astartes on a battlefield if they all suddenly started to throw down Thousand Son-esque psychic awesomeness

Anyway I've quoted some background from the current dex that supports such an action will have, perhaps inevitably, happened. I agree no direct fluff exists for it - yet...

"In conjunction with their chamber militant - the Adeptus Sororitas - also known as the Sisters of Battle - the Ordo Hereticus hunt down and destroy the most insidious threats to Humanity, the enemy within [i.e traitors of all kinds]: witchcraft, heresy and mutation [for all reasons I gave before]." P.2

"Reasons Witch hunters would fight Space Marines" P.42 - gives 6 reasons, one of which includes:
    "The Chapter Master has unexpectedly manifested prodigious psychic powers, calling into question the psychic screening of the chapter. The Witch Hunters [hence their military arm - the Sisters of Battle] cannot allow an entire chapter of rogue psykers to come into being, and resolve to wipe them out before its too late."

You might not have heard about it because...
    "Throughout history the Adepta Sororitas have been instrumental in many actions, some of which, due to their instigation at the hands of the secretive Ordo Hereticus, may never be written of in the official histories of the Imperium". P. 7

And if you can count DoW Soulstorm as fluff...then they most certainly have (although I know that's pushing it a bit).

In short. No, they don't police them themselves. No expansive fluff has been written to this effect. Yet it is only logical that should the Ordo Hereticus deem a chapter to be heretical they would call upon the Sisters to fight - as they are the predominant military arm for the Ordo and Ecclesiarchy. Just as Deathwatch are for the Ordo Xenos and Grey Knights the Ordo Malleus.

Chaplain

i think its more a case of which chapter would be eradicated. All of the current "big" chapters cant be wiped as many play those armies(lookin at you space pups, your heresy has continued too long!), people dont care to read about a chapter they've never heard of, and imperium vs. everyone else sells more, though id like to read more infighting and imperium vs. imperium screw ups. As it stands though, its not been rewritten, and it makes sense for the ecclisiarchy at least to be concerned with religious practices that may go "too far" in their eyes. The ordo hereticus would obviously have a stake in the purity checks of SM gene seed as they are primarily focussed on interior matters(and rogue chapters prove a serious threat). Nice article by the way. I personally put more of an imprint of myself on fluff, and use it as a background in which to set fantastical stories, and as such believe fluff is very personal to each person.
    you have been deemed guilty of blasphemy against the holy emperor, for this crime your punishment shall be to clean his shoes.

Librarian

Boys, space marines have always selled very well for GW... I have no doubt they won´t kill any codex chapter... Even those with lesser players as Dark Templars or Dark Angels.
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Chaplain

This thread has been nicely derailed

In attempt to steer it back to the original point, I totaly agree. The 40k universe is just as deep philosophically as it is lore wise. Reflecting on the 40k lore and how it has incorporated so many different things made me realise how great a representation of humanity it really is.

Guessing where the inspiration from for different characters and aspects of the background(and realising that in some cases it couldve been from many different things from history!) helped me realise that people always incorporate their own experiences into everything they do. Its made reading through various historical or religious things so much more interesting realising that even though they arent written for the sake of entertainment that they are just like 40k, full of hidden ideas and messages, even if the writer incorporated them without realising .

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCalgar View Post
    Boys, space marines have always selled very well for GW... I have no doubt they won´t kill any codex chapter... Even those with lesser players as Dark Templars or Dark Angels.
    ...and I never said they ever would. Sigh...I was only trying to prove that the SOB would fight Space Marines if the Ordo Hereticus demanded it, as this whole derailment started with SOB 'policing' Astartes. In part it's my fault - I meant to say 'The SOB police them "in a way" if ordered to by the Ordo Hereticus. I never intended to link such an act directly to universe-effecting fluff - like the Ultramarines being wiped out...of course that would never happen...but anyone is free to create chapters of their own and the stories to go with them...

Thank you all for your comments, but back to the original topic of fluff and influences did you know that Termagant is - n. A quarrelsome, scolding woman; a shrew. adj. Shrewish; scolding. [From Middle English Termagaunt, imaginary Muslim deity...? The little *******s...and that Terminator also means the dividing line between light and darkness on the moon? Yes, I know - I can use a dictionary! Anyway I find little things like this interesting (my life is that exciting) although I'm not saying that they have a direct meaning or value within the context of the fluff, it's philosophy or the human condition...

Abbess Sanctorum

Yes, Sisters would fight Space Marines. Nevermind that GW hasn't had Sisters successfully do it since Rogue Trader...

That is not the same as Sisters policing Space Marines. The fluff has changed. Hell, half the time the Inquisition isn't even able to get Space Marines to do anything they want.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Veteran-Sergeant

I believe in the Space Wolves codex there is a story abour 3 sister battle companies attacked Fenris. There were others involved with the attack but I cant remember off the top of my head. They wanted to investigate charges or Gene Seed mutations or something like that and when they came to fenris the Space Wolves fought back. They eventually settled on a live and let live policy.

Abbess Sanctorum

Which is silly of GW, as Sisters don't use "companies" (the rough equivalent is probably a Commandery).

Goes like this:

Sisters of Battle: Led by Abbess Sanctorum, unknown number of Orders
    Order: Led by Canoness Superior, contains many (no known upper limit) Preceptories
    Preceptory: Led by a Canoness Preceptor, contains ~1000 Sisters (five Commanderies)
    Commandery: Led by a Canoness Commander, contains ~200 Sisters (several Missions)
    Mission: Led by a Canoness or Palatine, contains "a few units" (probably referring to squads)
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-05-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    And this has nothing to do with the Sisters of Battle. Unless you're trying to say the Ecclesiarchy hunts down and destroys rogue chapters. Which it doesn't. Yes, the Sisters of Battle might be called to attack a rogue chapter, but tell me-- have you ever actually read any fluff since Rogue Trader that supports that having ever happened?
    Soul drinkers series. SoB hunts down and tries to stop the fallen chapter and succedes in stopping a plauge daemon instead of the marines who runs off to live happily on a space hulk.
    So not only is there fluff of SoB hunting down rogue chapters they also win... in a way. Not against space marines obviously... but at least they didn't lose...that much...
    Last edited by Fellend; 07-06-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast