BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Then you completely miss the camp and humor GW has been toting around for the better part of three decades...

You just don't 'get it'. :P
    I didn't miss it I just think it's lame. Some of the more subtle name origins are acceptable but when they beat you across the face with it, it's painfully stupid. Almost as stupid as say...noise marines with amps and guitars.

Abbess Sanctorum

I'm glad that the camp and humor value of Orks has been toned down somewhat dramatically. I LIKE Orks as brutal techno-barbarians... not as comic relief.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    I'm glad that the camp and humor value of Orks has been toned down somewhat dramatically. I LIKE Orks as brutal techno-barbarians... not as comic relief.
    Still, I wouldn't mind some of the better Artillery pieces coming back in a non-apoc format... the Splattakannon and the Squig Katapult come to mind. Cyboars would be cool, too, there isn't really enough Cavalry in 40k these days.

And some people would love to see the Madboyz make a comeback.

Abbess Sanctorum

None of those are camp or humor though.

Also, I want to see feral boyz, madboyz, squig swarms, grots with riding cy-squigs, etc etc etc.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

I wouldn't say Orks were ever comic relief as such. Their crude ways and unreliable nature (both the Orks and their technology) just meant that sometimes amusing things happened. both in the fluff and on the tabletop.

Oh, I've changed my mind about the Kruellagh model. With a good paintjob its actually half decent and quite feminine. A friend just converted one into an Archon, she cut off the hands (which I admit are oversized and stupid) and replaced them with other hands, and painted the bodysuit thing that GW had black flesh coloured. Barely recognised the model it was that much better than the original GW paintjob.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-05-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

If "comic relief" isn't the right term, then I'd just say that it feels like they're being taken a bit more seriously.

Like the difference between DoW1 and DoW2.

Brother-Captain

Orks have become less goofy and more feral over time.

Abbess Sanctorum

I wouldn't say they're more feral so much as they're more barbaric-- Orks are the unending horde of barbarians at the gates, killing and looting everything they see. No matter where you go, Orks have been there first or aren't long in the coming.

It makes them more... I guess grimdark, in a serious way.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    None of those are camp or humor though.

Also, I want to see feral boyz, madboyz, squig swarms, grots with riding cy-squigs, etc etc etc.
    I dunno, a catapult that launches a clay pot filled with (essentially) flesh-eating killer bees is pretty hilarious on a futuristic battlefield. The splattakannon is too improbable to really be funny, I guess, but I'd still love to see it back. And an explosive shell attached to a ball-and-chain, randomly changing direction and potentially taking out your own troops, always struck me as funny... but that may just be me.

I think a good example of your point, though, is the Shokk Attack Gun. After being really random with often funny results in 2nd edition (jamming into terminator legs, causing vehicles to burst into flame and move uncontrollably, etc...), it shows back up in 4/5th with much more streamlined rules and many of the more random effects removed. Also, the snotlings involvement has been heavily downplayed (sure, some show up on the model, and it mentions them in the fluff for the gun... but they aren't as emphasized as they were previously). Nowadays, it's mostly just a variable strength AP2 gun with occasional random effects, most of which are just damage. Still mean, still cool, but somehow less funny.

Abbess Sanctorum

If that's hilarious, then so are biovores.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast