BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Chris : Have you considered a trip up to Adepticon? Its a bit of a haul from down here but it fits your "everything must be painted" to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Some of us (I am not the only one) are okay with being called 'Elitist' by gamers who refuse to paint their armies. Fine. I'm elitist because I have STANDARDS. I don't eat out of the garbage either...does that make me elitist? Somebody will get upset at the comment I just made...why? Perhaps there really *IS* a little bit of guilt there about using unpainted figures?
    Its you, you're what is wrong with the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I spend a fair chunk of time trawling Warseer and some of the other forums for rumours. BolS is the epitomy of civilised discourse in comparison, believe me. No trolls, just some very opinionated people, which is fine.
    I'm all for fully painted armies in tournaments, but I can see why Melissia thinks it will attract a nasty sort. There are an awful lot of people out there who use the quality of their paintjobs to make other players feel bad. We ban that sort from our group but you can't do that with a tournament. Unless it was invitation only.
    I would agree about preferring painted armies in tournaments (and in general)

As for attracting nasty sorts, that might be true but you get obnoxious people whether their army is painted or unpainted; you just have to ostracize them on an individual basis.

I happen to like painting and from what I've been told I paint very well, but I don't belittle anyone for not being good at painting, I offer advice and tips and encouragement if they're not certain about their painting skills. I've even showed people how to speed paint with the army painter system or just a base coat, some wash and little highting.

A lot of people will paint their minis if they can find a way to do it with out taking up all their free time. And some even find they like painting and go on to paint some pretty impressive armies.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    WHERE DID I WRITE THIS? You're guilty of the very thing you're accusing me of! I _never_ stereotyped anyone, nor did I ever attempt to. I simply wanted to point out that the initial objectors to a painted-only tournament were guilty of the same arrogance that the pro-painting crowd is regularly accused of.
    Here's your original quote;

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    The best part about this thread is that it totally exposes the anti-painting crowd. Friendly tournament that only allows painted miniatures? Clearly, the entrants must be a bunch of painting snobs who any decent person would not want to associate with!
    Note the underlined section.

At no point in time has anyone stated, nor implied, that painting is a bad thing. It's all about the attitude of certain painting "elitists", nothing more, nothing less.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Default Nuh-uh! Yah-huh! Did not! Did do! Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    At no point in time has anyone stated, nor implied, that painting is a bad thing. It's all about the attitude of certain painting "elitists", nothing more, nothing less.
    Well, not exactly, DarkLink. Melissia did imply that folks on the pro-painter side of the equation were elitist douche-bags. She did it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    I wouldn't go there even with my painted army if it meant I could avoid elitist painter douchebags who mock the fact that not everyone is good at painting.
    She came into a very gentle thread swinging. We can parse her phrase from now until Judgement Day... to me her implication is clear. Some others agree with me that she was characterizing folks who'd attend a Painting Only Tournament as elitist douche-bags. There are others, like yourself, who don't think her words imply that...

So, I guess my basic disagreement with your post is your saying, "It's all about the attitude of certain painting "elitists", nothing more, nothing less." I'd say that at that point in the thread a certain hypocrisy came out on Melissia's part: she was casting an unfair judgement on folks who'd enjoy the hypothetical tourney I'd described... in essence, coming off as a tactics-elitist who was sneering at gamers who love painting...

After that we get to the part where I guess we just have to agree to disagree... you don't see her words implying what I say they are implying. Melissia herself went onto point out that the English language can be easy to mis-read and I agree. She says she didn't mean what I say she was implying. I can only say that I'm hard pressed to come away with any other meaning in her words...

OK... I've had my say... I'm moving on from this one....

Good gaming to all... Copeland

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    Well, not exactly, DarkLink. Melissia did imply that folks on the pro-painter side of the equation were elitist douche-bags.
    No, I did not imply that everyone on the other side of the equation were elitist douchebags. That was you putting words in my post that weren't there, plain and simple. And you should stop doing that.

Respond to the actual post, not a *******ed strawman. Logical fallacies do you no good. There is no hypocrisy here.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    No, I did not imply that everyone on the other side of the equation were elitist douchebags. That was you putting words in my post that weren't there, plain and simple. And you should stop doing that.

Respond to the actual post, not a *******ed strawman. Logical fallacies do you no good. There is no hypocrisy here.
    Again, Melissia, it's hard to see where to proceed from here so I don't see the point. To me it seems that your words carry a clear implication. You got called out on it and now you are saying to say that your words don't imply what I say they do at all.

I am not setting up a straw-man. I am responding to harsh words that carried a clear implication and saying what I think the implication was. Many will agree with me. Obviously, you will continue to vehemently disagree... so: impasse...

Good night. Cheers.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Copeland View Post
    Again, Melissia, it's hard to see where to proceed from here so I don't see the point. To me it seems that your words carry a clear implication. You got called out on it and now you are saying to say that your words don't imply what I say they do at all.

I am not setting up a straw-man. I am responding to harsh words that carried a clear implication and saying what I think the implication was. Many will agree with me. Obviously, you will continue to vehemently disagree... so: impasse...

Good night. Cheers.
    My point is that you misinterpreted my post. I admitted my fault in not having a perfect ability to wield the English language, and then supplied the intended interpretation a dozen times over by now-- but you have refused to use it. You are being incredibly rude and pissing me off right now.

So I'm done being nice. If you refuse to read my posts for what they are WHEN I HAVE ALREADY TOLD YOU A THOUSAND TIMES OVER WHAT THE **** I INTENDED, then I will put you on my ignore list, as you have nothing of value to add to any discussion when you intentionally misinterpret what you read.
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Some of us (I am not the only one) are okay with being called 'Elitist' by gamers who refuse to paint their armies. Fine. I'm elitist because I have STANDARDS. I don't eat out of the garbage either...does that make me elitist? Somebody will get upset at the comment I just made...why? Perhaps there really *IS* a little bit of guilt there about using unpainted figures?
    I don't refuse to paint my armies, but at the same time, you do represent what's wrong with the hobby.

It's rather pathetic, really. Particularly because in your link, you post photos of all the things that so upset you about the games, but I bet, I betyou didn't have the stones to say something directly.

And you're still taking photos of minors and posting them on the internet. Tsk Tsk! That's illegal, sparky.

Brother-Sergeant

I avoid tournaments if only to avoid the elitest douchebags who insist that their way is the only way.

That's weird, because the EDG (Elitist Douchebag Guild) avoid tournaments too.... Hah! Maybe it's safe for us to go back?
    Elitist douchebag

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast