BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Looking for army building advice for new player

So after having watched me and my bugs devour the 41st millennium one planet at a time for the last few years, my brother has finally worked up the interest to start a 40k army of his own. I showed him to the wonderful model ranges on the GW website and offered him a brief rundown of the different armies available to him, and he finally decided that the look and feel of the Eldar best appealed to him. Now, I play Nidz and will soon own a Death Korps Guard army, but I know next to nothing about building an Eldar army, so I decided to turn to the internet for advice. What are some of you Eldar players' favorite units to play with? I'm not worrying about helping him field a super competitive list, so ultimately it'll be down to what he wants to include, but I figured if I could give some advice that would point him in the right direction, it would be well-received. So, any thoughts?
    Because really, the Hive Mind just wants to make friends.

Veteran-Sergeant

What kind of models appeal to your brother? Does he like the look of the vehicles or any particular units? Or are there some specific bits of fluff that appeal to him. Building a list really depends on personal preferance and what appeals to your brother should be part of the driving force behind what models to include in his army.

I have a preferance for small elite force armies and I also like the look of Eldar vehicles so I bult a Saim-Hain (I'm sure I spelled that incorrectly) list of all Vypers and Jetbikes. I have a friend who has an Eldar army that revolves around squads of Storm Guardians. There are many fun, fluffy and competative lists out there.
    Last edited by plasticaddict; 07-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Veteran-Sergeant

So I was talking with him, and he seemed interested in the Wraith- models, as well as the Elite slot aspect warriors, which to me says Iyanden would be a good fit fluff-wise. Therefore, maybe some advice about what units would make good complementary choices to an Iyanden-themed army? (I've already got the Wraithguard and Wraithlord part figured out, thanks)

Chapter-Master

10 man squads of wraithguard (just by hawks and fill in the heads cut off the barrels and sculpt a cloak)
    wraithlords
    10 man blocks of avengers with twin catapults
    Phienox lords
    farseer
    bikes
    vypers
    DRAGONS
    3 twin scatter laser War walkers (read 24 S 6-7 ? ap4? shots )

that sort of stuff and you shouldnt go far wrong :P (also banshees OR scorpians)

lyaden lists are like so
    yriel
    farseer

wraithguard
    guardians
    storm guardians
    wraithlords
    war walkers
    wave serpents
    bikes
    vypers
    fire prisims
    falcons (but i cant see a use )
    Last edited by fuzzbuket; 07-23-2010 at 03:36 AM.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Veteran-Sergeant

Excellent, that helps a lot, thanks!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    3 twin scatter laser War walkers (read 24 S 6-7 ? ap4? shots )
    Um...3 warwalkers would give you 12 twinlinked (they aren't seperate weapon have to twinlink so for points buy a different gun) S6 AP6 shots. Problem is warwalkers are only AV10 all round and open topped. They die REALLY easily.

I'd advise Wraithlords. I love em, have 2 in every game i play, except for apoc where i take a full spirit host with 6 lords and 15 guard. Its scary hard to kill.

In a standard list i would not take units of 10 wraithguard for troops. Thats 350 points on a single troops choice with a very short ranged weapon. Dire Avengers with bladestorm are your friend, as are small groups of aspect warriors.

For Iyaden you want Yriel (his template assault weapon kills a squad of marines in no time at all, as well as being able to kill MC, vehicles and squads. Also need a Farseer. Guide on your troops, doom on the enemy, mindwar against enemy IC's (or favourite trick...mind war the sergenant with a power fist out of the squad, then charge it with a wraithlord. They can't hurt him so hes at his leisure to hold them up) and Fortune on himself, yriel for his invulnerable or a vital troops in cover (put small squad of pathfinders into cover. Thats a 4+ cover save + 2 for their stealth rules, so rerolling a 2+ cover save...not much short of a good assault will move them from that.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

im convinced that a war walker with 2 scatter lasers gives you 8 shots it only links on wraithlords :P

(and in ALL the games i play 10 T6 3+ fortuned/ conceal(5+ cover saves) will MURDER anything near it (this only works if your WHOLE army foot slogs :P i thought about putting them with kandreas and £30 scorpians but the FAQ says youi cant do that )
    Last edited by fuzzbuket; 07-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

Ill double check my codex...to be fair it took me 2 years before i realised guardians weapons platforms were assault weapons :P

I guess its everyone to their own. Some people play a ghost army, some play a foot army, some play a mech army, some a harly army, some will say any list that isn't full of falcons carrying firedragons is rubbish. Do't get me wrong i love Wraithguard, just too many points for me.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/