BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Army Advice

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Fizyx View Post
    Cavalry is just not as impressive anymore. Maybe for supporting flank attacks, but it is better to get the infantry fleshed out and hit them hard from the front.
    I guess my main question is can you make them work? Having spent lots of time with RTSs like Rome Total War, I would feel pretty bummed not taking cav. Realistically, they were mostly a supporting unit anyway, so if they can be effectively used like that I'll probably take them

Quote Originally Posted by Fizyx View Post
    The thing I am noticing about Chaos is that the number of actual units stays roughly the same (4) from 1500 points through 3500 points. The only difference is the units get larger, lol.

Running two 30 man units of warriors plus two 40 man units of marauders and two hellcannons is pretty glorious, though.
    Wow, a 100 model army? I am going to have a lot of black and gray on the table for a long time.

By comparison, what units have people been seeing in the Skaven armies? I already have a painted Skaven Doomwheel that I bought just because I loved the model so much.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lykum View Post
    I guess my main question is can you make them work? Having spent lots of time with RTSs like Rome Total War, I would feel pretty bummed not taking cav. Realistically, they were mostly a supporting unit anyway, so if they can be effectively used like that I'll probably take them

Wow, a 100 model army? I am going to have a lot of black and gray on the table for a long time.

By comparison, what units have people been seeing in the Skaven armies? I already have a painted Skaven Doomwheel that I bought just because I loved the model so much.
    I played a mostly Cavalry army in 7th edition, so there is a lot of black and gray in my box. I only have two painted units of Warriors, lol.

Cavalry with WoC is pretty tricky. You need the ranks 5-6 wide in order to get a decent number of attacks in, but now you need multiple ranks to break people's stubborn. This means a unit of knights will be incredibly expensive.

Plus, with the advent of hella shooting, your knights armor saves just aren't as good as they used to be. Each knight lost is a 40-50 point investment, so more accurate cannons and other artillery can really hurt.

Can they work? Yes. They could definitely hurt on the flank, but they can not, and will not, be the mainstay of a force now. You will need infantry. They can not take a solid unit of infantry alone, even on the flank (since you need two units to negate ranks on the flank.)

I can not comment on Skaven, but if the thought of 140 models in a 3000 pointy game makes you squeamish, you probably don't want to know how many the Skaven will bring, lol.

Veteran-Sergeant

Okay... so I got a WoC Codex in the mail today (keep in mind I live 3 hrs from a LGS)... WTF?!! Why didn't anyone tell me there was such a thing as Valkia the Bloody? The Gorequeen?!
    Decision made. WoC. Khorne.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yeah... If you absolutely HAVE to play the filthy heretics, the fantasy WoC are definitely the way to go. Those warrior models are hands down the most impressive infantry models in the fantasy range, in my opinion.
    Because really, the Hive Mind just wants to make friends.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Hugz4Genestealers View Post
    Yeah... If you absolutely HAVE to play the filthy heretics, the fantasy WoC are definitely the way to go. Those warrior models are hands down the most impressive infantry models in the fantasy range, in my opinion.
    Having played CSM in 40K, being a heretic is nothing new for me. I tried to break away from the Chaos gods, but no dice. The models are too cool and the army fits how I like to play.

Unlike 40K, WFB seems like it has beter chances for themed armies that are still viable on the table. SO right now I am going all Khorne with Valkia as the hero. I may end up taking a Tzneetch sorcerer, but model him chained to a Juggernaut.

Veteran-Sergeant

Very nice.

Veteran-Sergeant

I was also considering the Tzneetch sorcerer on a disk with two Bloodletters holding chains around his neck. I want to convey that the dude has been enslaved by Khorne without going crazy on the base size. I figure with the Bloodetters and chain setup I can move them around as decorative units without getting in the way.

Veteran-Sergeant

This is a really cool idea. I demand pictures.

Veteran-Sergeant

Right now they are stuck in my brain. Give me 6 to 9 months and I will make them a reality.

The new kit of plastic Juggernauts might be an early purchase if I can easily make the Chaos knights ride them instead of horses (or ideally swap via magnets/pins). That would give me some leftover Bloodthirsters in cool poses to use for my enslaved sorcerer idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12